Rolling Thunder Forums

Help on Attrition

Centhen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the best way to deal with a different atmosphere? domed cities? subterreanian? i've been told domed cities aren't what i think? is there anything outside fo an atmosphere changer that i can use? *desparately wants a world*

You can build either a Domed City or a Subterranean City, and an Atmosphere Exchanger, and the benefits stack. Alternatively, build a Domed City and a Subterranean City.

They all probably do stack, or at least (positively) modify the bonus?

Which is better anyway, dumping a whole host of colonists on the world, or transfering small amounts in a convoy? :)

I've been doing a fair amount of colonization. I have 9 colonies so far. Here are my thoughts.

As one person said already, temperature is the biggest problem.

In all but a couple cases I've only colonized Very Lows or Ideals. However, at higher populations even the Very Lows start dying faster than they grow. The problem is that growth rates are typically extremely low. I think I've heard you don't break the 1 Pop/turn barrier until you have 1000+ pop, which I haven't done yet on any of my colonies (largest is between 600 - 700). However, attrition losses increase as your pop increases even at these lower Pop numbers.

The Domed Cities are great, and not difficult to get on the research tree, or build. They seem to pretty much completely eliminate the attrition from atmosphere. I have a colony on an asteroid belt that simply uses Domed Cities to deal with the attrition and I don't have any attrition. Asteroid belts are typically great places to mine Iron...probably the most important resource in the game...so this seems to be a definite way to go.

I have one colony where temperature gives the world moderate attrition. I am having trouble maintaining that pop. I deliver about 10 pop a turn to it (20 every 2 turns) and it loses almost equal amounts. The only reason I keep it going is that I get a bunch of petrochemicals out of it, which is basically supplying all my fuel needs with Fuel Distillation complexes at home. It has less than 200 pop. Until I can deal with the temp problem (Getting Deep Core Heatsinks soon) it isn't getting any bigger.

I favor setting up colonies with relatively small numbers (but more than 10 needed to start to get growth right away) outside the home system and larger numbers in the home system. The advantages of a lot of smaller colonies outside the home system I think is a better "claim" on the strategic space about your homesystem and every 10+ pop colony is going to generate an extra Pop/turn from growth for your position. In the home system though this is where I focus on the benefits of freeing up some stripmining at the homeworld in favor of greater numbers of industrial complexes by mining important resources in large amounts just next door. Also, early in the game I found it becomes difficult to make use of all the excess pop your homeworld keeps generating. I get almost 700 Pop/turn and it is not easy to employ that many people/turn with new installations. I've been working on dealing with this though. I'm increasing my colonization about an extra 10 Pop/turn with colony ships, while also dedicating a significant portion to pumping out construction materials not only for the colonization but also employing people at home. Roughly 2/3'ds of my economy now is simply trying to match growth to increase the economy and deal with the pile of Pop I wasn't dealing with in the early stages of the game. Really wish I realized how important that was when I first started the game!

Getting high AP ships with advanced engines for the colony ships is a big deal I think to maximize the exodus of people off your homeworld too.

Out of installations that you can build, Thermal Transfer Centers or the "DUCKS", depending on whether you are trying to warm up or cool off the place, are the most effective thing I know of for Temperature problems. Domed Cities help a little as well. All installations 'stack'.

In the 'outside of the box' arena, you have lifeform modifiers that can help you - the higher order Constitution and Reproduction adaptations are good. Of course, having the High or Low Temperature Tolerance would be useful. If you do not have them already, you can gain them through the Species Engineering path of the tech tree.

FWIW,

-SK :drunk:

Here is what I have seen with my non-colonizer lifeform with only a small Colonization bonus.

High attrition = 12-15% dead

very low almost ideal = 1% dead

For my colonizer position, anything below moderate attrition works for me, but I do have a lot of CB.

For colonization it is all about your starting stats. If they suck then colonization will always be a real pain in the neck.

:drunk:

Yes, it is usually much worse....

You think that's bad. It could be worse- much worse.

Honestly 

Its so cold on my HW that the atmosphere freezes ....

in the daytime in the summer :D

Buh dum dum crash

Sorry that was our last remaining stand up comedian. The rest did not survive the cold. :D

Actually having a very cold HW has one benefit. It will help you colonize asteroids.