Rolling Thunder Forums

Turn progression

Prospective

All right, I'm not sure if this info is out there and I just missed it, or whether it's learned through trial and error.

I have seen a chart in the rules that shows PRODUCTION sequence (Power, shipyard, mines, stripmines, IC's, etc).

However, where do ship movements fit into the whole scheme of things? Do ship movements come before production? Do they happen after?

Same question for RC's. When do they actually conduct the studies? Is it prior to production? After production?

I just want to get an understanding of how things progress each time a turn is actually processed.

Pete? Russ? Anyone?

Thanks

The first things run are the orders you send in, in the order that they are submitted. Standing orders wind up showing first on your turn results but actually run in the oder submitted.

Better way to describe this-

Submitted turn

standing orders

convoy routes

power sources

shipyards ???

mines

industries

promotions

new characters

scientific acheivments

Grovelling at temples

Research Centers

tech advances - if any

Some where along the way after power production you also have atmosphere reducing effects and other higher level installations.

Hobknob,

I do not understand. :oops:

You state:

Anything you submit on the turn is run first, that would include any and all movement, construction, production chages etc..

Lets say I submit a single 40 order turnsheet. If I was to place my BI orders at the top (for example, order #1-11), then issue a SRP as order #12, then issue NM orders, or WARP, GEO or CSV orders in slots #13 through #40, you are saying it would be processed in the order I submitted them? That make no sense to me.

I expect (maybe incorrectly) that there is a sequence to turn processing. After all, there is sequence for Production orders. IC's do not operate before shipyards, even if I issue a BI ahead of a SHIP order. The first thing that runs is Power plants, then shipyards, then fuel refineries... etc, etc. There is a structure that can't be violated no matter what sequence I issue my orders.

Hobknob,

I do not understand. :oops:

You state: 

Anything you submit on the turn is run first, that would include any and all movement, construction, production chages etc..

Lets say I submit a single 40 order turnsheet.  If I was to place my BI orders at the top (for example, order #1-11), then issue a SRP as order #12, then issue NM orders, or WARP, GEO or CSV orders in slots #13 through #40, you are saying it would be processed in the order I submitted them?  That make no sense to me.

I expect (maybe incorrectly) that there is a sequence to turn processing.  After all, there is sequence for Production orders.  IC's do not operate before shipyards, even if I issue a BI ahead of a SHIP order.  The first thing that runs is Power plants, then shipyards, then fuel refineries... etc, etc.  There is a structure that can't be violated no matter what sequence I issue my orders.

Yup!

Hobbies got it right. your orders are run in the order that they are submitted. I believe that all Order "1"'s are run then all order "2"s. this makes it easier to co-ordinate turns between players. There is no "Movement Phase" of a turn there is an "Order phase" where your orders are run.

Useing your example on orders 1-11 your construction (BI)orders are modified. then your research centers will be changed, then your movement orders take place on orders 13-40. If on order 26 you ordered your fleet to drop off 50,000 Con Mat's on order 27 you could order 100 Iron mines build on that colony and they would run duing the producion phase of the turn. :cheers:

If it were done any other way organizeing your turn would be a lot more difficult :cheers:

All your BI and EB orders are "Stored" in que to run at the "End Of Turn Phase". CON and DISM orders actually execute at the time you issue them. This allows you to build some science installations, do a SURV, then DISM the installations all in the same turn. SHIP orders "store" at the time of issue but only if all the items needed to construct the ship are already in the Pop Group at the time of the SHIP order. Those items are then reserved for use by the Shipyard to construct that Ship. SCRP orders place your ship into the Shipyard to be dismantled during the "End Of Turn Phase". Your movement orders happen at the time they are issued. Essentially, anything which requires an installation to operate in order to execute will occur during the "End Of Turn Phase".

The "End Of Turn Phase" includes all your installations operating. The only exception to the installations operating at a time other than the "End Of Turn Phase" is the following:

You do a ANZ order. The ANZ order can only be done at a Pop Group with some type of Science Installation so you could make a case for this installation "operating" to generate the ANZ results.

You do a SURV order. Again, the science installations help with any SURV order done in the System that they are in so you could make the same case again for this.

There may be other exceptions but essentially that's it.

When you issue the BI order you aren't doing anything other thatn changing your procudtion queue. When production actually runs then the effects of the change will be manifest.

If you are constructing something with the CON order it is immediatly available for what it is used for. This means that you can build science installations, move to survey a WP, DISM all of the installations, load them all aboard the fleet, move to a WP and warp all in the same turn. As long as your fleets have enough AP's and as long as you sequence everything right.

It is also important to note that all turns are processed simultaneously so everybody will have order 1 processed before anybody gets to process order 2. Using this system it is possible to coordinate multiple positions activities, hopefully.

:oops::cheers::cheers:

When you issue the BI order you aren't doing anything other thatn changing your procudtion queue. When production actually runs then the effects of the change will be manifest.

I thought it was the EB order that modified the production queue and the BI order adds to the queue so if you issue a BI order for the same item with the same priority then you will build the entire quantity of both orders. Is my understanding wrong?

It is also important to note that all turns are processed simultaneously so everybody will have order 1 processed before anybody gets to process order 2. Using this system it is possible to coordinate multiple positions activities, hopefully.

Again, I had understood that each order is run at the same time but that the individual empires are selected randomly. Is this correct?

Exactly. If we were coordinating movements with you and we both issued our movements as order #1, we'd have no way of knowing whose stuff would go first, though we could be assured they'd move pretty close together.

If it were necessary for our units to go first (for example, to take out defending fleets with our superior naval combat skills so your ground-pounders could get through to an enemy homeworld... if we believed in violence at all, that is...) then we would issue our WARP on order #1 and you would issue yours on order #2. That way, no matter who gets 'picked' first in the random cycle, you'd know either the defenders are gone, or we miscalculated horribly and you're about to get stomped by whatever we couldn't take out. };-)>

Everyone? That'll deplete your supply. We shall send more immediately, at the usual cost.

Well we had lots left over from the last celebration. It seems someone thought drinking mead was a bad thing. After a little reeducation, they came around. However send more anyway. You never know when the need to party will strike.

:cheers: