Rolling Thunder Forums

SCI-FI WARS!!!!!

athonian

What is the best Sci-Fi you've read/seen? if i missed one vote other and mention it =)  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because this is the Galactic FORUM. This is where people meet to yak and role-play. The truly game-related posts are almost all under the Rules & Mechanics header.

We've formed a community here. If you don't like it, don't read it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Paradigm- :) . Why can't we keep it game related? I wish Pete would wade in and delete all posts not game related.

Kahless :cheers:

Guys there is a whole section dedicated to the rules and Mechanics of the game. The Forum is for interplayer cimunications and the ocasonal OT discussion. If you are not imterested in the Roleplaying apects of the game feel free to avoid the Forum. the Off-topic discussions are usually fairly easy to spot and avoid and almost always here in the Forum. Some of the folks here like to talk and enjoy the company of the other players even if it is only here in Cyberspace. Let those of us who enjoy each thers company play here in the Forum

So much to choose from that I could not even venture a vote on this topic. From some early space opera to Heinlein to Bradbury and Asimov there is lot of great Sci-Fi, most of which is not even made into a movie or TV show. And some of the TV shows listed are a lot of fun to watch. B5 and Farscape are two of the best from recent times. And yes years ago I also watched a fair amount of Dr. Who which for its time did a good job with a very limited budget.

Unfortunately one of the curses of growing older is I find I have less time to call my own. What free time I do have I put into this game and if I am lucky i squeeze a little out to do some reading. Right now I am reading the sixth book in Steven King's fantasy series, Song of Susannah and will start on the last one, The Dark Tower when that is done.

And yes, us underwater types can read. We just have to have waterproof pages.

Ok - I want to try to understand Farscape as it looks like a pretty rich series.

How do I get started? Just start renting/buying the first season? The storyline seems a little deep everytime I try to crash an older episode on Sci-Fi Channel. Tips?

As for OT stuff. I think I side closer with Krelnett on this one.

We've formed a community here.

Very well put. For all my 'soap opera' posting :cheers: I can honestly say that I enjoy the banter, reading and writing it....yes even with my 'wormy' pals in the PA who adore me so :cheers:

In any event, I don't think censorship is in order for the forum :lol: Perhaps the Klingon was roleplaying? :thumbsup: Just kidding. I think there are many who feel just like him.

Solution: If we label "OT" posts, maybe we can ward away those who don't want to peruse through the 'noise' Also, Rules & Mechanics should be used more often for total game related stuff. I can think of a few juicy Forum topics that could use a copy into the R&M forum. Sometimes we seem to mix our mashed potatoes with our peas or whatever. :taz:

I for one, have absolutely and affirmatively no objection to this poll - but I hold nothing personal against those who do! :cheers:

Because this is the Galactic FORUM. This is where people meet to yak and role-play. The truly game-related posts are almost all under the Rules & Mechanics header.

We've formed a community here. If you don't like it, don't read it.

It's the Galactic FORUM sub-board to "SuperNova: Rise of the Empire". I'm happy for the most part to read people yakking about and role playing their supernova empires here, but I couldn't care less what books they read. I would hazard to guess there is a science fiction board or two somewhere else on the internet.

i personally favor the OT in the topic thing... because honestly... the enviroment of this board is a great motivator for returning a little more often than what i would other wise every once in a while... and "rules and mechanics" are better for more intensely game related topics... besides... it really can't be that hard...

if you can run a supernova empire, you can look at a title of a post such as "SCI-FI WARS!!!!!" and decide... 'hmmm... this is probably off-topic' i mean honestly... how many people actually thought this would of had anything to do with snrote aside from possible motivations to start playing the game in the first place?

i'll be a lot more careful about posting randomness... and i'll try my best to make my posts somewhat related to snrote... however... i certainly do not feel the need to limit my posts... (which i enjoy doing btw...) for the convience of those who feel it necessary to limit my own convience and enjoyment of this game and the forum that happens to accompany it. no offense meant... but picking this thread to start a debate wasn't very nice... you should of gone for the thread where...

Board personalities that seem to be on cordial realtions suddenly find out that their mother's brother's daughter's boyfriend's sister's son shared a dorm in college with someone that kicked their dog and all of a sudden they can't stand each other.

that happened...

and i also like the farscape enviroment... it has a good base but babylon 5... babylon 5 was happenin! :cheers:

Labelling 'OT' would be useful.

:cheers:

I have to agree with this statement.

If people want to get into a flame war over the Star Trek movie Odd v. Even "Rule" on this board, I don't mind. I would just ask that the Thread be tagged OT and if memory starts to become a problem for RTG, the OT threads will be the first ones to go. :cheers:

FWIW

-SK :D

Labeling would be very helpful. The forum has many seperated areas.

Alliances & Wars

Galactic Phenomena

First Encounter

and probably the best titled one, Astro Synthesis USER Group. At one glance a person can tell that if you are not interested in Astro Synthesis don't bother going there.

Probably one of the main reasons SETA has never found anything, is due in large part to all the background noise.

I have nothing against chatting about etheral subjects, I just wish it could be done in a separate category, dedicated to that premise. And if I decide that I would like to read 400 or 10,000 postings about whatever subjects strike everyones fancy, then I knoe where to go.

Bloodwine all around--Although I am still waiting for my next delivery !!

Kahless :rolleyes:

i wouldn't mind a separate section of random stuff....

but

a. maybe a bit tooo organized this is the Galactic Forum after all

b. i personally enjoy hunting through the threads and looking for info... it's fun in a sick way.

c. until then maybe an OT in the top will suffice

People agree or not, and that is as it should be. When you sign in, under: SuperNova Rise of the Empire, there are 4 subcategories. One of which is Galactic Forum, under which it says-- General GAME Discussion.

OBTW-- Krelnett-- perhaps you should have some more of your Mead, & get mellow. :D I was simply voiceing my opinion and agreeing with another player.

More Bloodwine all around and a double for Krellnet. :D:P

Kahless :rolleyes:

i wouldn't mind a separate section of random stuff....

but

a. maybe a bit tooo organized this is the Galactic Forum after all

b. i personally enjoy hunting through the threads and looking for info... it's fun in a sick way.

c. until then maybe an OT in the top will suffice

Although this is fine- and I do enjoy it sometimes- and I have trawled through this forum and the old forum to get info, it can be a bit daunting as I'm sure many of the new (and any prospective players out there) would be able to tell you.

People agree or not, and that is as it should be. When you sign in, under: SuperNova Rise of the Empire, there are 4 subcategories. One of which is Galactic Forum, under which it says-- General GAME Discussion.

OBTW-- Krelnett-- perhaps you should have some more of your Mead, & get mellow. :cheers: I was simply voiceing my opinion and agreeing with another player.

More Bloodwine all around and a double for Krellnet. :cheers::cheers:

Kahless :cheers:

Apologies. I (the player, not the bug race) get heated everytime someone starts talking about limiting freedom of expression, even in a small way. Pet peeve of mine and I shouldn't have let it color my voice on the boards.

Here, :cheers: a little something to tide you over till the bloodwine shows up.