Rolling Thunder Forums

CSV results

Prospective

Hi all,

Ok, a quick newbie type question. I did a couple of CSV's, an all but 1 had either "very high" results. I did get one "moderate".

However, when I look at that linear graph, my initial read was that if the "slider bar" was to the far left, that means that that particular category is very close to the homeworld. However, on the one "moderate" world, the "slider bars" were pretty long, the longest being in atmosphere.

So, what indicates a close match to homeworld conditions and what indicates an extreme difference?

And, why aren't simple percentages given, rather than a "slider bar" type output?

Seems like it could be summarized as:

Atmosphere: xx% difference from the HW

Gravity: xx% difference from the HW

Axial Tilt: xx% difference from the HW

... you get the point.

Thanks all. Hope your turns came out with what you expected.

More of Pete's game static. Get used to it. He doesn't give numbers if he doesn't have to. However you would probably agree that the whole discovery process is what makes the game exciting in the beginning. Later it will change to anticipation of those battle reports.

Phasedragon,

While I like discovery, I also like numbers over slider bars. I know that when I compare numbers, the scale is identical. However, with the slider bars, how do I know if the scales are comparable? But, what can I do but deal with it...

My initial question stands. With CSV results, does a longer bar mean conditions in that category are more favorable towards colonist survival than a shorter bar? Or is a shorter bar more favorable to colonist survival?

Thanks.

Phasedragon,

While I like discovery, I also like numbers over slider bars.  I know that when I compare numbers, the scale is identical.  However, with the slider bars, how do I know if the scales are comparable?  But, what can I do but deal with it...

My initial question stands.  With CSV results, does a longer bar mean conditions in that category are more favorable towards colonist survival than a shorter bar?  Or is a shorter bar more favorable to colonist survival?

Thanks.

As Phase Dragon pointed out, Pete does this to help prevent easy "min/maxing" of races.

The bars are bad when they are long in the Atmosphere, Ocean, Temperature, Gravity, and Axial Tilt categories.

The bar are good long in the Terrain and Lifeform categories (the two that say "favorable" next to them).

The Atmosphere bar will be long whenever you're looking at a world with a different atmosphere (unless you have Natural Chemical Exchange, or the like) as there is a flat (and rather large) penalty for trying to colonize a world with an atmosphere different from your own. However, as has been mentioned in other threads, it is also the easiest to counteract: just build Domed Cities and most of the problem will be gone.

The CSV report now actually makes a lot more sense than it used to. I think it rather helpful. Actually, though, give it a few turns and you'll realize that most worlds aren't worth spending the order on as they are obviously very inhospitable. You'll be able to tell from the PMAP.

Hope that helps.

LX

While I like discovery, I also like numbers over slider bars. I know that when I compare numbers, the scale is identical. However, with the slider bars, how do I know if the scales are comparable? But, what can I do but deal with it...

I don't know if its correct, but I always treat the "Lifeform (favorable)" factor, assuming your race has one, as a constant that I use to scale the other graphs to. So if a CSV shows it as being twice as long as another CSV, I assume the other factors shown with it are also twice as big.

This is slightly off-topic, but while I'm thinking about it:

I have a Deep Core Heatsink on a colony and its excess power reading is not reflecting the use of 25,000 power. i.e., it doesn't appear the DCHS is drawing power. Is that because the installation isn't functioning, or is the report just not working?

I saw a slight reduction in attrition I thought, but this place really is a "hellhole" to my poor colonists so I'm not sure the expense of building the thing was worth it. Still, I'd like to know if it is working.

Does anyone else have DCHS or TTC up and running, are they drawing power?

-LX

The way I look at it is this:

If I see a long bar that indicates an unfavorable attrition level and I fix that one thing I can be pretty sure that the attrition rating will shift significantly. If all the bars are pretty much equal then you have to fix a lot of things and it may not be worth fixing considering the significant construction material costs.

This is slightly off-topic, but while I'm thinking about it:

I have a Deep Core Heatsink on a colony and its excess power reading is not reflecting the use of 25,000 power. i.e., it doesn't appear the DCHS is drawing power. Is that because the installation isn't functioning, or is the report just not working?

I saw a slight reduction in attrition I thought, but this place really is a "hellhole" to my poor colonists so I'm not sure the expense of building the thing was worth it. Still, I'd like to know if it is working.

Does anyone else have DCHS or TTC up and running, are they drawing power?

-LX

Oh no....

Don't tell me that I've just written a whole load of orders moving 1.5M CMs for the Power Plants to power the TTC and they don't use any either!!!!!!!!!! :taz:

Ah well, 18 months after they were reported, Shipyards still don't draw any....... :alien2:

Well, at least this makes all those planets out there much easier to colonise and defend..... :(

Chief Grumpy Person to Ur-Lord Tedric

I too reported this to Pete several turns ago and he promised to fix it. He said that the TTC was working but that the power calculations were off in the end of turn summary, although it doesn't show that well on my CSV it would seem the TTC has a minimal impact for its costs.

Talk to Pete again I guess.

/Locklyn

I too reported this to Pete several turns ago and he promised to fix it. He said that the TTC was working but that the power calculations were off in the end of turn summary, although it doesn't show that well on my CSV it would seem the TTC has a minimal impact for its costs.

Talk to Pete again I guess.

/Locklyn

Ah well,

We've never been able to live anywhere else in the home system and we wanted to try.

At the end of all the building we did the CSV and we'll just have to see what it's like. As long as all the colonists don't get wiped out, then we'll just have to dismantle it all again and bring it all back...

It just isn't worth it to have them die. We were just hoping that something like the TTC could help make up the difference for not having a cold world start as many others seem to have tried for...and spent several setups getting.....

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Originally, Attrition values were listed in Attrition percentages instead of Bars. Pete changed it to bars because people couldn't understand it? or just complained?

I for one hated the change and preferred the percentages. It was much easier to read and understand, especially because of the way I record them.

Therefore, not all change is good. :cheers::(