Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonial Attrition

Prospective

Hi all,

A question regarding a "Very Low" colonial attrition rating on another world. What does that mean (approximately) as far as real numbers go? Can I expect to lose 15% of pops dropped on that world (once it's been colonized)? More? Less? And, I assume that the attrition rating is applied each turn, right?

Also, I had thought of building a city (don't have domed option at this point) and a colonist training center on that same world. What will it do (again, just approximately) to the attrition (real world numbers).

Thanks for the input.

It all depends on the reason, take the following CSV result:

Attrition: moderate

Atmosphere: -----------------------------------------------------------|

Ocean: -----------|

Temperature: -|

Gravity: ------|

Axial Tilt: |

Lifeform (favorable) .............................|

This looks worse than "very low", but with just Domed Cities I have 4,500 population there who grow by 8 a turn with no attritution. They key is the long atmosphere line which is much reduced by the domes. All the other lines are shorter than my favourable lifeform modifier so this seems to mean 0 attrition.

Basically this means you will need to experiment to discover what "very low" means for you race.

Unfortunately if your race has negative modifiers to colonization you might still lose pop no matter how many installations you have.

>>>>>>>>>>>

The above is true, even if your planet is, theoretically, identical to your homeworld (some folks went a little too nuts on the big brain / weak body model...)

On the other hand, there are other races who see asteroids as, shall we say, "quaint fixer-uppers," requiring minimal installations...

I have not colonized a VL site yet as there are none in my HW system and I am focused on colonies there first. However the moderate attrition world seemed to be about 7% of my pop. Therefore I would expect a VL to be less than that. If 7% is an issue then I would work on getting Domed Cities tech.

Has anyone seen a Low Attrition planet? I seem to find Very Low, Moderate, High, Very High and Extremely High plantes but no Low ones.

B)

The descriptions of attrition level are not consistent between lifeforms.

Take 3 lifeforms

A - spent tons of points on CB bonus

B - No real CB bonus but no negatives taken either

C - the CB bar is well to the left and many negative features were taken

Lifeform A may get an attrition rating of 5% on a moderate world, while type B gets 10% and type C gets 20%. Even if all CSV's showed up as moderate.

A real colonizer will suffer little if any attrition on Moderate worlds and lower while a very pathetic lifeform will not be able to effectively colonize an ideal world.

So, there is no hard and fast rule for very low as it all depends on your lifeform.

Start with the best world you have and work your way up until attrition costs outwiegh colonization benefits.

:D

Hobnob is giving you some good goop. ie if you can mine 1 milion crystals per turn and get them to your HW that same turn then losing a few pop is worth it. Just make sure you keep up with the

losses.

One thing is for sure though. Those subterrainian cities are great for helping to curb losses. They

will cost you plenty in advanced construction materials but are well worth it. My crappy colonizers can actually survive on an asteroid with them or at least make it worth while to

take advantage of the massive Iron and light metals potentials.

Take 3 lifeforms

Lifeform A may get an attrition rating of 5% on a moderate world, while type B gets 10% and type C gets 20%. Even if all CSV's showed up as moderate.

A real colonizer will suffer little if any attrition on Moderate worlds and lower while a very pathetic lifeform will not be able to effectively colonize an ideal world.

So, there is no hard and fast rule for very low as it all depends on your lifeform.

Unless I am interpreting CSV results incorrectly, I believe that Lifeform is one of the factors determining the attrition rating of a world. If what Hobnob says is correct then colonizers get a double benefit, first by reducing the attrition rating followed by reduced attrition for that rating.

Take 3 lifeforms

Unless I am interpreting CSV results incorrectly, I believe that Lifeform is one of the factors determining the attrition rating of a world. If what Hobnob says is correct then colonizers get a double benefit, first by reducing the attrition rating followed by reduced attrition for that rating.

Now, to throw another wrench into the equation, there is the small matter of what I can only call "terrain bonuses," what with me being too lazy to go look up a turn and see what the proper name is. The more "familiar" terrain types a prospective colony world has, the greater your "terrain bonus" -- rationale being that your folks understand salt flats and oceans or what have you, so its easier for them to live there.

Now, I have not done anything scientific or statistical on this, but as you approach the tails of the planetary types, the rough guessitmate would be the more extreme the planet, the fewer number of terrain types there are... therefore, those from the tails of the spectrum have a little something extra to play with, sometimes.

Terrain types add into your bonus for attrition on a world. The more similar they are to your own home world the better it is for you. The further away the worse it is. Once you have gotten the basics down there is little need for the CSV since the PMAP will give you all of the data required to determine if the world is suited to your colonization needs.

The best thing the CSV is for is helping to determine how much benefit the various installations are for you, or how little they do.

B)