Rolling Thunder Forums

Star Mapping

RTGRuss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres how I do it....

I have a wall map. :angry2: I miss those Victory maps!

Anyway....

I use index cards, stickys and a marker.

Each Index card has a system on it with basic info.

On the blank side, I have the system in large letters. On the side with lines I put the info. I tape the card in such a way that I can "flip" the card to see the info on the other side. The type of info is usually yields, worlds, and status: like colonies or neutrals. I use pencil on the info side.

I then "connect" the system using a marker line to adjacent systems and create new cards for the adjacent systems.

I note the Warp class near each card along the line in pencil. I also put a fuel estimation for each warp point for 100,000 tons. I might add warp size if it comes into play down the line.

The only snag is that some systems loop around each other. I actually had to redraw my map from scratch for one position -- wasnt that big of a deal....just removed the cards and reorganized em.

The stickys I use for fleets. I pet them where the systems are.

I use different colored cards and stickys.

It takes me about an hour to update my map every month (2 turns)

Its pretty cool. Its not a show stopper for guests though by any means. Most people just look at it and ponder for a second with a pained expression and then carry on like I'm normal :angry2:

I highly recommend setting up something visual.

I also have a huge document that tracks all of my empire information. If anybody got a hold of it, I'd be screwed. But - having evrything in one place on an ongoing basis makes doing orders possible.

I am very curious as to how others are putting things together.

I have heard rumors of incredible computer databases etc and those would be cool to use if I could "see" my systems -- but that probably involves a lot of programming on someones part.

Oh one last thing. I have a long list that I print out of every system that I have learned ala these boards and from other players. Much like the list that Hobknob compiled. Its the first thing I try to match up with every turn :angry2:

Ok, here's how my version goes.... :angry2:

I created my Starmap on Powerpoint. I started with an oval circle for my Homeworld and drew a LINE out to other ovals (possible systems) for each WP in my system. When a path has been identified I add an ARROW to the spot and put the WP size next to the ARROW (A, B, C, etc.). That lets me know its been SURV and what the actuall WP size is. Each oval either has the actual System Name in it or has the WP size that needs to be SURV to get to it. System Names in ( ) stand for Warp Nexus. I also have a color scheme for the ovals. One color to indicate "other lifeforms", one for "hazardous zones", one for "MY" colonies, etc. As I get more info the chart expands of course. I'm almost at a point I need to split it into two separate maps now. It makes it easy to count how far away things are and what connects to where all on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. As for system information.....well that's another huge spreadsheet. :angry2:

Btw, I also have a list of System Names (a bit larger than Hobknobs) :angry2:

I use 2 systems to keep track of my positions. I have an excel spreadsheet with all of the planet info in it. This makes it very easy to sort stuff and excel is pretty easy. I also use powerpoint to get a visual of my starmap. Up until recently it has worked great, but it is starting to fail and I can see the writing on the wall. I am looking for something new which will likely involve some different software. I started a pena dn paper system, but the changes were too hard to recover from so it has got to be some sort of software solution. I am contemplating a web style map with hyperlinks to different sysems and the various info that is associated with them. The only problem is I really want a printable map that can travel with me when I can't access a computer. :angry2:

I have about 15 different excel spreadsheets that all track different things like tech advances, research allocation, player names and info, 3-4 different economic ones, a couple of ship design sheets, character ranks, exploration results, lifeform design, industrial usage, colony potential returns, tech advances and a few others. These are proving to be invaluable and I don't know that you could play the game successfully without them. Even with them I have managed to survey the same planet 3 times. :angry2:

I too have a system list or 2. The one I posted was just the stuff I have gleaned recently from the boards, my other one is just over 300 system names.

I remember in SNII we started out with a 3D model made of gumdrops and toothpicks. :angry2: This time around mapping is a real pain in the butt since you have no idea how anything relates to any other thing.

Similar to the 2 above, my map and info is organised using Excel & Word (I must admit there's no paper version, I just don't see being able to do this without computer assistance).

I use the MS Drawing Package (on an excel sheet so I could print it) to draw testx boxes and the 'intelligent' connector lines (they move with the boxes if you need to re-configure). The text boxes, of course, contain the system name. I coulour the boxes to represent my systems (colonies) and warp nexii.

Each of the systems is hyperlinked to another sheet where I have basic system/planet information that it easy to view as a while. Each system is then further hyperlinked to a Word document containing averything I've found out about a system.

Back the map itself - behind each text box I have added a 'comment' that gives me all of the WP survey data and I have smaller text boxes with fleet numbers inside them that act just like flag pins. I also have even smaller text boxes with the WP Class.

Finally, I have a partial example that I prepared for some buddies to assess and I've drawn a couple of maps for people - all I need is the WP Survey Report. If anyone would like a copy of the example, or to discuss how it goes, please just drop me a line to StarLeague9@aol.com

Regards

Chief Cartographer to Ur-Lrd Tedric

Add me to the "Computer Geek" column, I guess... :angry2: I also use a computer to keep track of all of my SN info. I've devised a very workable Excel spreadsheet that lists all of the most important physical info for systems (warp point info, stars, planets/moons, environmental and resource data, colonies, neutrals, etc.) I have one tab for each system and although it's filling up now, it's fairly easy to read and I find it's super quick to make changes to the data as needed.

I've got other spreadsheets and tables for tech trees, etc...I print it all out each week and put it into a huge binder (yeah, it uses a lot of ink and paper, but it's MUCH easier too do turns that way.) I agree that I couldn't be nearly as sucessful (administratively speaking) with my empire without the use of a computer.

I make a table at Excel with lines and text boxes, and each turn I make additions and print out.

If star has planets, it is bold, if warpnexus, gray. Each star has lines representing warp point ways. Text box at each end of line showing warp class and warp point number. If it is surveyed I put an arrow to surveyed end of line.

I also keep in Excel and print out regularly a few more sheets for system orbit lists, planet resources, ship design details, and research duration track list.

I also use an Excel sheet, for graphical representation.

My home world is a box in the middle with the planets and moons listed. On the corners I print a warp point number (when 4 or less warp points, otherwise some additional creativity is needed) and a line towards the other star system. I print at the exit the warp class and size (i.e. B 54) and the same on the other end.

I use colours to identify the status of the system.

I then print off the map and use flags (small pins with a sticky wrapped around it with the fleet number written on it) to identify the fleets. I use green pins for colony ships, white one's for pathfinders, yellow for explorers, black ones for transports and red ones for military ships. They are pinned on my printed map, so I can see where they are. This helps me a lot in defining orders for the fleets and to have an overview on where everything is.

I use drafting software to create a graphical map. A circle for each system (with the number of orbit locations in parenthesis underneath the system name) with a line connecting each one to the next system. Each end of the connection is labeled with the "Warp Id/Classification" and it is underlined if it is not yet successfully surveyed.

I update the map with each new turn in pencil, and then update it electronically periodically and plot out a new map.

"My home world is a box in the middle with the planets and moons listed. On the corners I print a warp point number (when 4 or less warp points, otherwise some additional creativity is needed) and a line towards the other star system. I print at the exit the warp class and size (i.e. B 54) and the same on the other end."

I do pretty much the same thing.

I also list the name of the system, the main planets and similar information within the system box.

I track in two ways.

1) For each star system I record the WP's in that star system and details for every planet. One Star system per Excel sheet. I record all the details on each planet so I can better locate ones to potentially colonize once I get better tech. For example, I track the number of negatives showing up on a planets CSV for each category. When I got Domed Cities, I located a very high attrition rate world where the most impact seemed to come from Atmosphere and Ocean. I built the Domed City, Fluid Conversion Plant, and Colonial training center and P :thumbsup: the new CSV came back with a very low attrition. You gotta track the CSV's to colonize to best effect.

2) Excel sheet two shows each star system. Homeworld in columns 1, 2, 3 showing Star Name, Class/Size, Warp ID. The Warp Point these jump two are shown in columns 4, 5, 6 (ID, Class/Size, Star) and the next Outs in 7, 8 (Class/Size, ID). This continues so I end up with the HW in the first column set, stars 1 jump out in set 2 (4-8 columns), stars 2 jump out in set 3 (9-13), etcetera.... I match Warp point to exit point so I can see the path back and forth very easily. I add rows to stretch things out as later Sets increase the number of overall warp outs. One way's are highlighted with Red >>>>> symbols, and stay on the same row as where they exit. A nice thing about this is I record the fleet #, composition, and location (if at a world) within each Star Box. The net result is a semi-graphical view of the universe with easy to see fleet positions and the ability to quickly plan my moves. B)

I used Visio but Ur Lord's discussion made some sense so I have changed:

B)

I now use Excel. Each system is typed into a cell. Outgoing and incoming warp points are added and color coded (in/out). System cell is coded red for nexcus, green for ideal worlds etc....

I then connect the outgoing warp point to the next systems.

I hyperlink the system name to a word document where I cut and paste everything about the different planets...GEO/PMAP/ORB/SS/etc... (you could do it to another excel document).

The main spreadsheet is easy to use and very visual with color coding to let me know where to focus.

I am starting to add convoy routes in a different color (for moving ships to the front).

Voila.