Rolling Thunder Forums

Star Mapping

RTGRuss

On the subject of EXCEL for production, I have created a multi-sheet spreadsheet system for nearly everything in a turn cycle. The production and shipyards make it extremely easy to fine tune your production once you get used to using it. I have thought about submitting it to Pete and Russ since they liked my Lifeform spreadsheet enough to put it on the website. I will admit that is a work in progress since it is difficult to add new technology but I am working on making this more intuitive...possibly with a Visual Basic Button Macro. The look is really attractive in my opinion and flows logically through the way the turn processes so there will be less chance for any errors. There are relevant tables on every sheet to track totals while still keeping running totals on everything throughout. There is room to load beginning stockpiles and yeilds for 10 pop groups with 52 turn cycles each. I am still working on storing all the production/ship orders for a particular turn. Probably with a Visual Basic Button Macro as well to store to permanent records. The difficulty is how to keep someone from accidentally overwriting previously stored turns by accident. Anyway, look for it on the website if approved by Pete and Russ. I am guessing that it will be ready sometime in September.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have a map, I use excel, and as I SS each system I put that info into the sheet, and then add columns for pmap geo csv orb. then the warp points are listed in the next columns. I change the background color to signify done, colony HW or whatever.

And I keep them i a special order, called ORDER OF BEING FOUND.

Moonshadow

I just sent in 2 set-ups and look forward to bumping into everyone.

Does anyone have a version of their mapping that they do on Excel that they wouldn't mind sharing. I wouldn't dream of asking for your mapping information - just looking to see if anyone has a good mapping system I could use.

Jeff

jtgame2003@yahoo.com

Jeff -

It's easy. Use excel. Put system name in cell. Right click and hyperlink system either to a word document (for each system) or another tab in your excel file where you keep PMAP,GEO and CSV info.

List all outgoing warp points in one color and inbound in another...

I color code as follows:

Outgoing warp point in yellow, Inbound in Blue, Nexus in Red, Ideal worlds in system in Green, Dangerous warp point in Orange etc...

I use the excel line draw to draw 1way or 2way routes...

• 1 month later...

To refresh everyone's memory, I use CANVAS, but that's not terribly important.

Occasionally, when I found loops I found it necessary to restructure my map. Now that I have a neighbor I find I need to REALLY re-draw it or draw a big arrow across the whole of the map. (Oh, you mean THAT system is somewhere near THAT OTHER system.) :(

Is this clear? What I mean is that I had four "arms": A, B, C, D arranged on my map counterclockwise. Now I find that I have contact in the 'A' arm and the 'C' arm. Redraw? Hours of work! Big Arrow? Unsatisfying.

--Russ

• 8 years later...

Marcus , or Cestvel ......the person you have been attacking without any provocation , is pretty much the expert with his mapping program for the game . It works beautifully , and I , along with many other players , use it every turn . Makes the turns so much easier to do when you have a well ordered map in front of you .

its all part of the game right? no offense but i play this game to enjoy myself and that is blowing things up and seeing who wins... i do hope that marcus will let me in on his mapping program tho. but if not i understand.....

its all part of the game right? no offense but i play this game to enjoy myself and that is blowing things up and seeing who wins... i do hope that marcus will let me in on his mapping program tho. but if not i understand.....

Sure, just check this thread:

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1145

Sure, just check this thread:

http://www.rollingth...?showtopic=1145

i have findpath and it is very heplful but i am looking for a more visual mapping program. i tried graphvis and i am not smart enuf to get it.... :woohoo: