Rolling Thunder Forums

Star Mapping

RTGRuss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading about some of these really cool ways of mapping, I'm almost embarrassed to tell how I do mine. I wish I were more of a computer geek than I am and wish I had some better software.

Since this is not the case I make do with what I have. Believe it or not, I use Microsoft Paint. It's a lot of cutting and pasting and was slow at first but now that I've been using it for several turns, It's not that bad.

Like everyone else, I'm able to use different colors, shapes, text, etc for the different system names, warp points, etc. As I expand and the map needs to be adjusted to make room, it's pretty easy to cut and paste the systems to move them where I want, but I do have to erase the connecting lines and redraw them. I'm also able to keep track of fleet positions this way.

Of all the ones listed, I think I like Eternus' the best. I like big wall maps.

PS - Clan Elder 'Keen, I really like your Avatar.

I use Visio for the visual map. So far its working fine for me. System info goes in rectangles, Warp point stuff goes in ovals. The ovals cluster around the rectangles in a haphazard way. Lines link everything with arrowheads on the routes that I have surveyed. As the map grows, its real easy to re-arrange the whole thing. The only problem is setting it up to print without circles or rectangles running across the edge of a page. :o

I use Microsoft Access to track the endless supply of information. It sounds like most of you are using Excel with similar results. The only thing that Access adds is nice looking reports and queries. :thumbsup:

If anyone has the MS Access software and is interested, send me an email at sargonkingofslith@yahoo.com. I'll send you a copy of the database (naturally - minus the data). :thumbsup:

I use Visio. Circles represent star systems. Line show connections. I add arrow heads on the lines as I know the warp point connections. I also list all of the warp point numbers on the map. I print the map out every turn or two, right now it fills 4 sheets of paper (2x2).

Then I list all of the fleets in pencil on the map. It helps me keep track of where everything is going. Once the map gets really big I plan to go to Kinko's and print it out there and then put it up on a wall. Mapping systems is my favotite part of the game.

John Stanton

SCINAT

:beer: Well let me tell ya, as both a Middle-Aged old fart, and a Oracle DBA (tech geek) I much perfer ye old paper and pencil approach myself. So here is what I do :rolleyes:

:angry: I have a 1.5" D-Ring binder (black) and use Top loading clear Sheet protectors. Now I use higher quality paper, pencil, and markers (black,red,blue,and green), and yellow highlighter.

:thumbsup: So next each system total data is listed on a side of paper (Sun intel/ special features/orbits info/ and WPs), this data is usually on the facing up page with special details on the back. Next I have each Orbit data from ORB/PMAP/GEO/CSV data listed per that orbit. I have page in a clear sheet protector per each orbit and system sheet. Then each system is in the book arranged by ABC listing with a chapter deviders with side clear name tabs that I enter the system name on.

B) Thus when I need to look up data about a sytem, I turn to the system, then refer either to the System page, or specific orbit's page for details.

:D Also I list fleets on a 3x5 card with fleet make up (ship types/ and numbers), characters, cargo and etc, then I slip that 3x5 into the page protector where it is located. So if it is at a WP, then it is in the System page protector. If it is in a specific orbit, then it is located there.

:thumbsup: For me the focus is the system knowledge and if I want to look something up as I sit in the "Reading Quiet Room" either at home or the office I can :beer:

Just my way of doing things :(

My system is very basic right now. I use Excel with 2 sheets; One has planetary information and system information; the other sheet has the home system with all the warp points underneath on the next line. After exploring those systems I insert columns to add those links under those systems with the link back 1 line above. Expansion is very easy this way and I can easily see which systems need more exploration. I am fairly new to the game so I haven't encountered any looping systems yet. When I do I will just indicate the loop link on the line above but with a notation as to where it goes back to instead of the system above as implied without the reference:

Home(4 Panets)

11111(42)-E 22222(36)-A - Warp Pt #(warp size)-Class

33333(22)-C 44444(19)-E

System A(NONE) System B(3)

55555(22)-B 66666(23)-G 77777(19)-D

The columns don't line up here like in Excel....sorry.

• 5 weeks later...

(reviving an old thread -> it might be of interest to our recent visitor)

I use Canvas on my MAC. Circles are systems with color coding for warp nexi versus systems with planets. Lines connect the systems with the jump points indicated; on my map I use a line with an arrow to show jump connections I know. At this point, I don't bother listing the capacity numbers.

I use small color coded-boxes to indicate neutrals and colonies. I probably should start indicating habitable worlds -> since I stressed attributes other than colonization, those are infrequent.

All my fleets are also located on the map, occassionally with arrows to indicate plans.

An advantage of Canvas is that you can put things in layers. So I have a "system+jump routes" layer, and a "planetary comments" layer, and a "miscellaneous comments" layers, and an "orders" layer, and a "fleets" layer. So when I want to simplify the map, I can make individual layers invisible.

Each individual star system with planets is also marked in separate documents, but this seems rather useless. I never think to use them.

For the numbers, I use an Excel spreadsheet, but there is no form of hyperlinking between the two. (A very old version of Excel - it can't do lots of things.)

I never print my map out. As a matter of fact, I've even quit printing out the turns themselves.

--Russ (the other one)

PS: I'm running about equal on numbers of systems and warp nexi.

Like many of you I use Access for star mapping - made up of linked databases covering warp, system, planets, tech discovery, PMAP, GEO etc. Though this is strictly data management rather than mapping. Unless someone writes a mapping program (gentle arm twisting) I will probably be drawing the map via paper and pen (shocking I know).

A nice to have, would be the ability to take raw data from the .pdf file to load straight into our various databases, especially for production.

For production and ship design I use Excel. What else is there? I type in what I am going to make (CON/BI/OC/LC), which thanks to the magic of lookup’s indicates the cost in components. I can then check I have enough resources. I also plot movements in stockpiles, between turns as a back up to make sure I am not getting low on given resources reserves.

This all means that I have a perfect production planning and never run out of anything or have any power or capacity issues. As if. Well it’s getting better anyway.

Thanks,

Jeremy