Rolling Thunder Forums

Star Mapping

RTGRuss

its all part of the game right? no offense but i play this game to enjoy myself and that is blowing things up and seeing who wins... i do hope that marcus will let me in on his mapping program tho. but if not i understand.....

Sure, just check this thread:

http://www.rollingth...?showtopic=1145

i have findpath and it is very heplful but i am looking for a more visual mapping program. i tried graphvis and i am not smart enuf to get it.... :woohoo:

I like Graphvis and use it for a visual representation. It is worth learning in my opinion. You can also create your own maps in Visio but that takes a lot more work.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have findpath and it is very heplful but i am looking for a more visual mapping program. i tried graphvis and i am not smart enuf to get it.... :woohoo:

To get it working? An explanation is i the given thread.

To get it downloaded? go to www.graphviz.org

I know its a Mac program but Omnigraffle is a very cool program to use to make maps. You update the information yourself but Its very easy to use, visually very pleasing and easy to work with..

I think any diagram/flow chart/graphics program can easily be used to make a good Supernova map.

After you export your systems from FindPath to Graphviz you'll see some syntax in the FindPath window e.g. neato -Tpng C:\Users\Pete\Desktop\test.map -o map.png

If you type this into a command prompt (or the Run area of the Windows start menu) and add a directory path before the map.png (e.g. neato -Tpng C:\Users\Pete\Desktop\test.map -o c:\Users\Pete\Desktop\map.png) you should find a map created for you.

For larger maps you may need to change to a different format (e.g. change -Tpng to -Tsvg and map.png to -Tsvg) otherwise you are likely to run out of memory, plus you may need to remove the overlap=scale; option and look into the edge and size settings to make it more readable/not gargantuan.

As Marcus mentioned this is all covered in the documentation....but I must admit it isn't the most easily accessible text I've ever read :P

I know its a Mac program but Omnigraffle is a very cool program to use to make maps. You update the information yourself but Its very easy to use, visually very pleasing and easy to work with..

I think any diagram/flow chart/graphics program can easily be used to make a good Supernova map.

Omnigraffle makes lovely looking maps and I think it is a lot easier to add additional info (e.g. Warp Point class) than Graphviz...I think it can also use the same algorithm as neato to auto generate the map...but being the cheep skate I am (the latest version is 100 US clams I believe!), and still preferring PC to Mac (cue the debate :rolleyes: ) I still use GV.

Hope this helps a bit

• 2 weeks later...

I find that the Graphviz program is very useful, but it have never gotten it to work on Window 7 and am slowly losing my ability to use it as my platforms are upgraded.

The biggest problem with the Graphviz approach is that you can't edit the map and it is really only good for one turn at a time as it is regenerated with each new mdb, not just added to the old one.

I still love it and couldn't do without it, but it does have some limitations.

Just saying...

Unable to get SNFINDPATH to export to Graphviz on my new laptop. No file gets created. Ive used this before on my Vista desktop with no issues. I have tried running as admin. Dif save locations. Run in XP(SP3) compatibility. Show hidden files.

I'm using the version of SNFINDPATH V2.19. Version of graphviz is graphviz-2.28.0. Am I

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3894MB RAM

Page File: 1357MB used, 6428MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Unable to get SNFINDPATH to export to Graphviz on my new laptop. No file gets created. Ive used this before on my Vista desktop with no issues. I have tried running as admin. Dif save locations. Run in XP(SP3) compatibility. Show hidden files.

I'm using the version of SNFINDPATH V2.19. Version of graphviz is graphviz-2.28.0. Am I

I have no idea about this one, as SNFindPath does not need any special priviledges. And the export is a simple file operation.

Does the Program work at all? Can you read the mdbs and calculate paths?

Try to save in your personal data folder, I had some odd things with games not being able to save in their directories after install, not even as Admin, on Windows 7.

Marcus