Rolling Thunder Forums

Dropping the Game

Not sure I see anything to suggest false advertising on RTG's part :cheers: (at least through MY perspective)

People are entitled to play as they wish and I for one and proud to say that the Spawn have yet to force their hand to war in what will be 100 turns! I dare say I don't foresee a war anytime within the next 100 cycles, either :laugh:

I heart colonizer positions :pirate2:

Side note: even if I were outnumbered and out-teched and under massive assault, I would never quit until the last of my colonies were completely wiped into oblivion. that would be $12.00 a month I'd happily invest in making life as miserable for my aggressor as I possibly could. :thumbsup::drunk::laugh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I see anything to suggest false advertising on RTG's part  :pirate2:  (at least through MY perspective)

Neither do I. Some aspects of the game are less developed than I had hoped. But, as Pete pointed out, the game is still fairly open on how you want to operate. If someone wants to concentrate on the aspects of the game related to war making you can do so. Of course as Valwyn points out, you may not be able to live in a vacumn. You do have neighbors, and you need to be ready to adjust your play based on the actions of neighbors. Still, no matter what some may think and wish, this not a close-ended wargame.

Side note:  even if I were outnumbered and out-teched and under massive assault, I would never quit until the last of my colonies were completely wiped into oblivion.  that would be $12.00 a month I'd happily invest in making life as miserable for my aggressor as I possibly could.  :drunk:  :cheers:  :nuke:

I like the way you thnk! :beer::P:thumbsup:

Octus

Side note:  even if I were outnumbered and out-teched and under massive assault, I would never quit until the last of my colonies were completely wiped into oblivion.  that would be $12.00 a month I'd happily invest in making life as miserable for my aggressor as I possibly could.  :drunk:  :cheers:  :nuke:

I like the way you thnk! :beer::P:thumbsup:

Octus

Me too and I would have fun doing it. :D

I have the feeling that SN:ROTE is a very organic thing, and perhaps will always be "under development." This is great, and I think it's wonderful how Pete and Russ will consider player suggestions.

I'd still like to see game events which would cause most folks to put aside, even if for a short period of time, their individual conflicts and come together to save the universe from an outside threat! But then again, I hear that there are "turtles" out there with 100-million ton warships and technology rivaling that of the Krell... :beer:

Here be dragons!

-Sha'thar

I hear that there are "turtles" out there with 100-million ton warships and technology rivaling that of the Krell...  :P

Here be dragons!

-Sha'thar

Not at sure that I would care to meet "monsters from the id" of the typical space faring species from this galaxy. :D:thumbsup::drunk::nuke::cheers:

I think "IT" would probably look a lot like...hmmm... a 100M ton warship! :beer:

TErnest

So there are people out there with 100M ton warships, :thumbsup:

right better dust of those plans for the Utu class planetoid I had lying around, :P that should open up any turtle shells that get in the way, I might even be able to build one in say a decade. :beer:

Sir Smeg

• 2 weeks later...
Folks-

I've decided to drop SN:ROTE.  I have to admit that I was much more interested in the trade/exploration aspects of the game than in the warfare options.

My assumption of the Collectors position, done only because I thought everyone in my area had dropped, attracted the attention and ire of another empire of much greater technology.  The Gosht Kohr had already made contact with said empire.  My offers to drop the Collectors position and pull any and all exploration fleets out of adjoining territories were for naught.

I've no interest in sitting through the demise of an empire which has taken three years to build, especially since said demise is at the hands of someone who just thinks its fun, and who seems to have no consideration for how other players may be interested in playing the game.

In the early part of this game, there was discussion in these forums about what the nature of SN:ROTE was.  Some held that it was an empire-building sim.  Others held that it was strictly a wargame.  I think it can be both, as long as players honor one another.

That appears to not be what's happened to the Gosht Kohr.  Taking another position in the game holds no appeal, as this event could just happen again.  Having counted my turns and multiplying by $6, no thank you.

Thanks to Russ and Pete for creating a generally very enjoyable and addicting game, and best of luck to all.  A suggestion to non-warlike players out there; turtle-up!

-Sha'thar and player

Well, having been gone for awhile, this now answers my question about why the Gosht Kohr were doing another's bidding. I am sorry to see a long-lived player and his empire go away.

Best of luck to you.

Ok.

Now that the smoke has cleared and I have gotten some things out of my system, I have indeed decided to stick it out and stay in the game. As I've mentioned, part of my reason for posting here was to hear what people had to say about the issue, so I could view my decisions through less-clouded eyes.

Generally, the conversation has been earnest and enlightening. I thank everyone who left a comment, and urge folks to continue to chime in.

I think TErnest had it right. There do seem to be definite stages one goes through when faced with bad news, and I went through all of them. Finally at acceptance, I can go ahead and play the game. It's odd... but I also feel I owe what I imagine the Gosht Kohr to be this much. A good fight and, if it comes to it, an honorable passing.

Wrf.

-Sha'thar

Justinian,

According to the post above, the player who ran Gosht Kohr continues to run Gosht Kohr. The only difference is that he now takes his marching orders from Gjorhaan.

The person who was not interested in the warfare aspects of the game has suddenly become interested when dealing with the Tygen. Is that because he now has the backing of Gjorhaan and feels he can't lose in a 2 on 1 fight? Who besides the Tygen needs to be wary of this alliance?

Justinian,

According to the post above, the player who ran Gosht Kohr continues to run Gosht Kohr.  The only difference is that he now takes his marching orders from Gjorhaan.

The person who was not interested in the warfare aspects of the game has suddenly become interested when dealing with the Tygen.  Is that because he now has the backing of Gjorhaan and feels he can't lose in a 2 on 1 fight?  Who besides the Tygen needs to be wary of this alliance?

So the Empress of the Gosht Kohr continues to play, but takes her orders from another?? What madness is that? I guess the Romans are more of a fight-to-the-bitter-end kind of folk. The Romans have taken great pleasure in inflicting great damage upon those that refused to talk with anything but the sword. We can't say we're winning, but we can say we have a big advantage in tonnage destroyed! ;)

We turtles have a HUGe advantage :-) Although I will be told otherwise by the powers that be a Turtle empire can slot and gain their economic base much faster than the war mongers. a 100M ton warship then becomes a 2 turn build. What turtles lack is the advanced weaponry but 70M of Cordelium or 70M of Vaanite is pretty powerful stuff.

Since turtles then to not be agressive by nature they have immense stockpiles of resources. They can be beaten quickly if they have not build defenses.

We routinely build a 10M orbital and tow it out to the warp point. Tug it out and leave it. 10M armor = 50M steel/IS/AS and 150M Iron. Turtles should be able to handle this without blinking an eye. (that of course if a projection on future growth)