Rolling Thunder Forums

Minefields

Prospective

More questions, this time about minefields. How are they employed? I know you build mine racks on ships, but then what? It seems that they are not a "strategic" level system, but rather are used in combat on a "tactical" scope. Is that true?

I read somewhere that they behaved as missiles. However, I don't completely get that. How do they target ships? What kind of FC do they possess? How is damage allocated? Do they act against ships at ALL deplocs, or only deploc 1?

Thanks.

Prospective,

Minefields are just like any other weapon system in that it deals a damage dependant on tonnage and generation. Mines have a point blank range and get bonus for DL1 placement. Strategic Placement of mines does not exist. Sensors defend against mines just like Deflectors defend against projectile damage.

Since this is just like any other weapon system it deals out globs of damage that are adjusted by range, fire control from bridge systems and leaders and that damage is then reduced by opponent ships if they have sensors.

:angry2:

Locklyn

Prospective,

Minefields are just like any other weapon system in that it deals a damage dependant on tonnage and generation. Mines have a point blank range and get bonus for DL1 placement. Strategic Placement of mines does not exist. Sensors defend against mines just like Deflectors defend against projectile damage.

Since this is just like any other weapon system it deals out globs of damage that are adjusted by range, fire control from bridge systems and leaders and that damage is then reduced by opponent ships if they have sensors.

:angry2:

Locklyn

Locklyn stated it nicely.

To quote the great oracle: "mines are nothing more than mis-spelled missiles" (but most effective at PB range)

I would LOVE to see mines used at the stategic level! I doubt it will ever happen though. sad.gif

What I really wanna see is the new Naval Combat Doc whaaaa whaaaa! smile.gif

I would expect the third part could be implemented if you treated the mines as a fleet. In fact you could use the RN order with minelaying ships. However, I would prefer that the Naval Combat Document and some of the other items Pete has promised, implemented first.

I would LOVE to see mines used at the stategic level!  I doubt it will ever happen though. :cheers:

:cheers:

Design 'ship/orbital' that is just Mine Racks, Sensors and Bridge...

Tow as many as you like to WP.....

Ergo => minefield.

You can also have Laser buoys, Torpedo Launchers, Missile Pods.....

We don't see the problem ourselves.....what more could there be?????

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

I would LOVE to see mines used at the stategic level!  I doubt it will ever happen though. :cheers:

Ergo => minefield.

I wish I had thought that one up!

Ergo => minefield.

You can also have Laser buoys, Torpedo Launchers, Missile Pods.....

We don't see the problem ourselves.....what more could there be?????

I think it would be cool to be able to actually 'mine' a WP, that is to move the ships to the WP, drop off mines and move away. (ala deep space nine and the wormhole) In your scenario, you still need to leave the ships there, and they are still not 'truly' a minefield as the mines simply work as another combat system.

How about this.. mine racks which simply hold mines along the lines of fighter bays or drone racks. You would then build mines seperately and they degrade over time like system beacons. A whole new field to research.. mine technology.

Takeda :cheers:

I think it would be cool to be able to actually 'mine' a WP, that is to move the ships to the WP, drop off mines and move away. (ala deep space nine and the wormhole)  In your scenario, you still need to leave the ships there, and they are still not 'truly' a minefield as the mines simply work as another combat system.

We're sorry K, we just don't understand....

A mine is just a small 'ship' - in fact it's exactly a small 'orbital' - or round a planet it's a small 'fortress'.

You build 'mines' and take them to WPs and leave them there. The placeholder just happens to be a 'fleet'.

And mines ARE just another combat system - just like they are down there on old mythical Earth....

Just open your mind a little and be flexible about what you call a 'ship'.

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Just like the Ur-Lord states this is a simple solution to strategic placement and has been of good use to the GGT :cheers:

:ranting:

/Locklyn