Rolling Thunder Forums

Space Combat Bonus

Ur Lord Tedric

[Another thread for our Locklyn! :cheers: ]

So, what do we think the SCB actually effects - SWAGs and complete out-of left-field thoughts, please...?

For our part, we're going to guess that the SCB is an additional defensive modifier; applied after all other defensive effects have taken place and final loss to integrity is calculated. Or, as an alternative, an initial modifier before specific defenses are applied.

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

I think it could be both but heres a little info that I would like to compare with all other positions

that have or could attain this technology. One of my positions has a Siege P-Cannon FP rating

of 64000. My question is.... Is this the 'standard' FP rating for this weapon or is my 'racial mod'

affecting it either lower or higher? Inquiring minds would love to know!

Actually ANZ figures are devoid of racial traits. These should come into play in combat only but since they are not reported in combat nor are in any way documented in the rules noone knows what racial space combat bonuses do

:cheers:

/Locklyn

Looking at battle reports that are available on the forums, there is no evidence that the racial characteristics have any impact on combat.

It would appear that tech, fire control, deployment location, and the presence of a naval character are the sole deciding factors.

Is there any indication that this feature is turned on? Can any of the empires that are testing the combat system in out of the way systems comment on this?

What happens when two empires with matching tech levels put identical ships against each other? Does the side with obvious racial advantages win?

Maybe MMB is right ... the game is broken, and we've been paying for beta testing all along.

Maybe MMB is right ... the game is broken, and we've been paying for beta testing all along.

Well...the game has its flaws at times (like any other game)....which FEELS like Beta testing at times...but IMHO the game is far from 'Broken'

I shall quote the oracle (which is in my document whereby I cut, pasted and organized everything Pete has disclosed about the game on these boards):

"One of the nice things about lifeform features that grant bonuses such as the space combat modifier is that it stacks with whatever tech you might be using. If you get passed by in the research end, it may well be that your lifeform space combat bonus can help to make up the difference. Alternatively, trade with a neighbor for his superior weapons and get the best of both worlds

Both your Space Combat Modifier and leaders can affect all of these things and more. It doesn't mean that they always boost all of those areas, but both SCM and leaders are almost always extremely helpful. This is especially true for larger battles, where areas like bridge ratings can play an important role."

So it sounds like SCMs are alive and well but not reflected on the battle reports...which I know raises suspicions in many of you. Personally, I don't think combat is broken, being done by hand, dice roll or random methodology. I 'think' this based on what I've seen, designed, tested and re-tested again with multiple positions and numerous battle report data.

Most of the anomolies others see might overlook some helpful assumptions. I'll post a nice chunk of Oracle Thoughts on Space Combat (by no means a substitute for a Naval Combat Upgrade doc)

I consider the almighty sunflower a knowledgable player who has put forth a monumental effort into putting together a document that collects all the information available on the forums. I do not question his judgement.

All I want is supporting data that it SCM does exist and is working.

Are there any players who have placed two ships of identical items against each other? Pathfinders, anything?

Are there any players who have placed two ships of identical items against each other? Pathfinders, anything?

That an affirmative. Way back in the very begining of the game One of my positions pathfinders

encountered another pathfinder and started firing on it. I had no leaders and I dont think

ther other player did either. My pathfinder won the battle.

That an affirmative. Way back in the very begining of the game One of my positions pathfinders

encountered another pathfinder and started firing on it. I had no leaders and I dont think

ther other player did either. My pathfinder won the battle.

Mon general, if I may ask a question, what condition was your pathfinder at the end of the battle?