Rolling Thunder Forums

A Question About AP Ratings for Ships

NeilGartner

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait for it.........Mk I Antimatter Engines give 8,000 thrust per 100 ton engine. Very fast!

Sakarissa  :)

<insert drooling smilies here>

I LOVE technology. :ranting:

I hope you LOVE waiting as well ... because it will take a while to get to Mk I Antimatter Engines, unless you dedicate everything you have to getting there. Remember that knowing how to make something doesn't mean you can! (Most advanced technologies require Improved or Advanced materials to build, which you need to research as well.) ;)

-SK :blink:

Wait for it.........Mk I Antimatter Engines give 8,000 thrust per 100 ton engine. Very fast!

I hope you LOVE waiting as well ... because it will take a while to get to Mk I Antimatter Engines, unless you dedicate everything you have to getting there. Remember that knowing how to make something doesn't mean you can! (Most advanced technologies require Improved or Advanced materials to build, which you need to research as well.) ;)

And don't forget the necessary horizon tech. Those 4th Gen techs are a research time sink, and I haven't even started the 5th gen stuff yet!

Octus

And don't forget the necessary horizon tech. Those 4th Gen techs are a research time sink, and I haven't even started the 5th gen stuff yet!

Octus

You guys sure know how to take the fun out of everything but I still can dream. ;)

But seriously, thanks for reminding me about the Improve and Advance material requirements. I made a grocey list of technology I would love to research but know I can't do it all. Just tell me, do I need Improve materials to construct Fusion Engines or Long Lance Torpedoes?

Thanks. :drunk:

Well if you think that 8000 thrust is nice wait until you get to the 16,000 thrust ones. They can make 80 AP ships quite easily. Mind you they are most useful for convoy routes and they really lengthen your turn results with all of the trips they make. :blink:

To figure out how many engines to put on a ship I use the following rule of thumb

1000 thrust = 1 AP/10% of total mass

2000 = 1AP/5%

4000 = 1 AP/2.5%

8000 = 1 AP/1.25%

and so on as your engines get better.

:ranting::)

Well if you think that 8000 thrust is nice wait until you get to the 16,000 thrust ones.  They can make 80 AP ships quite easily.  Mind you they are most useful for convoy routes and they really lengthen your turn results with all of the trips they make.  :blink:

To figure out how many engines to put on a ship I use the following rule of thumb

1000 thrust = 1 AP/10% of total mass

2000 = 1AP/5%

4000 = 1 AP/2.5%

8000 = 1 AP/1.25%

and so on as your engines get better.

:ranting:  :)

Of course, without a Transwarp Drive having a 60AP dedicated convoy ship is a bit of overkill. ;)

Just tell me, do I need Improve materials to construct Fusion Engines or Long Lance Torpedoes?

Thanks.   ;)

Yes, you need Improved materials to build Fusion Engines. :)

Doh!

Got to rethink some things. :ranting:

I rethink things every cycle and wonder how I could have been so foolish! For a few months, I've been wishing I started 4th Gen Space Sci as soon as I got 3rd Gen. And why did I stop Mk III Fusion Engine research and took so long to restart it? Why oh why?!?

Sure is nice to dream up a new angle on empire management at odd moments.....like business meetings of the tedious kind. Or waiting for the next flight to a city and a hotel conference room.

Octus

High tech engines are nice but in the end all they really do is incease efficiency to those far flung colony worlds you may have founded. Some positions dont have colony worlds or at least not very large ones which continously feed thier Industrial centers.

In the end it all depends on what YOU want to do. You dont have enough RC's to research everything so you have to concetrate on a few core items that you need in order to accomplish

your goal.... building up your colonies, attaining uber ground forces, having starships with

massive hull armor and powerful weapons etc etc.....

As has been mentioned quite recently in another thread, technology is becoming increasingly

time consuming and this in itself will motivate players to specialize and then trade with each other

for the tech they want and cant produce yet and probably wont have the time or RC's available to

research.

High tech engines are nice but in the end all they really do is incease efficiency to those far flung colony worlds you may have founded. Some positions dont have colony worlds or at least not very large ones which continously feed thier Industrial centers.

In the end it all depends on what YOU want to do. You dont have enough RC's to research everything so you have to concetrate on a few core items that you need in order to accomplish

your goal.... building up your colonies, attaining uber ground forces, having starships with

massive hull armor and powerful weapons etc etc.....

As has been mentioned quite recently in another thread, technology is becoming increasingly

time consuming and this in itself will motivate players to specialize and then trade with each other

for the tech they want and cant produce yet and probably wont have the time or RC's available to

research.

Oh almost forgot... Normal materials will suffice for up to Mk II Long Lance Torpedos. Mk III will require improved materials except for the the fuel of course. :ninja:

I have found that advanced engines have been most valuable for my colonizer positions as they drastically reduce the # of cargo bays/colony berths I have to build to haul all of my stuff back to the HW. Even without going out of the home system I am using 40 AP freighters to haul freight.

For exploration fleets I find that anything over about 12 AP is wasted and usually anything over about 6-8 winds up bieng wasted. It is nice to be able to devote < 10% of total tonnage to engines and still have a respectable AP though.

Every position is different and the benefit sill vary.

:(:cheers::(

I would be most happy to go into lots of depth about the value of high AP fleets, but the short answer is that it is not cheaper or better to just build more cargo.

Even for intersystem fleets it still makes sense to make better engines as you have the technology available rather than more cargo/berths.

Feel free to PM me if you wnat a more detailed explanation.

:thumbsup::cheers: