Rolling Thunder Forums

Basic Combat System Rules

Player speculation? Or official snippets released piecemeal through various sources.

Why must we continue having this same discussion on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on?

Pete – please give us an official document that describes how the combat system works.

I will be foolhardy and explain what I as a player understand about the naval combat system. First combat is strategic - NOT tactical. It is bascially a rock, paper, scissors systems.

Here is how I believe the combat system to work based on mining this board and a few brief conversations with Pete.

1. Determine fleet statistics

a. Add new ships – warp assault only

b. Apply damage from previous round

c. Calculate new ship ratings

i. Bridge = sum of all bridge systems

ii. Weapons = sum of all weapons modified by deployment location

iii. Defensive systems = based on percentage of ship mass

d. Calculate fleet ratings.

i. Fire control = [sum of all ships bridge rating / total fleet tonnage] + fleet commander modifier.

ii. Total fleet firepower for each weapon class

2. Fire weapons.

a. Number of shots = fleet fire control rating

b. Power = Total fleet firepower / number of shots

c. For each shot – pick two targets weighted for lowest deployment location

i. I don’t know how actual (of the two selected) target is picked.

3. Apply damage

a. Determine if shot hits. Chance to hit modified by target deployment location.

b. Apply affects of defensive systems = reduce power of shot

c. Apply damage

i. Shields hit first

ii. Armor hit second

iii. Internals hit last

Comments and corrections are encouraged.

Jack

Heh,heh.   :angry2:

How 'bout some cheerleaders?

Well, I think players are looking for something that when combined with ANZ will give them an idea on how to design ships. So they can engage an enemey with at least an idea of how it might work.

Is that really too much to ask?

I think I have SOME IDEA. Lets try and be reasonable. It appears to me that RTG is on purpose. keeping the exact details secret as part of their game design. I have been able to design ships that worked exactly as expected in battles.

There is a catch 22 with any combat description. If you are far enough along in the game for it to matter you will already have made decisions on weapon types and other systems, so knowing what you should have done will only make you depressed or irritated. On the other hand, if you are still very early in the game you have little need of a detailed combat description. This is especially true for the new person who doesn't have all of the hard won tech and experience that some have who have been playing since the start.

Then there is the fact that we are continually finding new tech that opens up a completely new avenues of ship design doctrine and combat techniques.

:angry2::angry::taz:

Of course, you could spend years developing  a weapons system then find it just doesn't work.

Ahem, Sargeant York, ahem

Or never gets built after being developed

Ahem, TSR-2, Ahem

There are many systems that get researched and are never built. The C-17 is another one I can think of. Its part of research that not all studies lead somewhere.