Rolling Thunder Forums

Captured Home World

Coconutheads

We'll I have a different perspective. I started the game on turn one. I for one have learned to play my position. Due to my RM, I will usually be the last one to get that advanced weapon or new toy for the month. I refuse to use more than one research center as I have seen some do to catch up? Being dumb has helped me not follow some poor tech paths. I was the fool that selected psychology as one of my research avenues and guess what I discovered what it lead to.

I built a nearly 8 million ton ship and watched it fall into an archaic history. Powerful fleets today will be tommorrows screens. We still do not know what tech is useless. Yep, I was one of those fellows that thought improved textiles were useful. I still find energy dispesion armor useful to build up to the 1000 ton limit on screens. Screens are great to harass scout ships.

I already have leaders on my colonies in the hope that they would do something. Hey good move on my part. My world likes to colonize and has yet to conquer another world. Shrug. I'm still having fun. That's what the game is about. 

Rich

I have a core postition that has just opened up a 7th Generation weapon system

(over 1 million firepower per weapon is pretty nice). Add to that that its currently

researching T'ckon 68 and a few other advanced techs so Id say we were a little

luckier then most. :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still having fun. That's what the game is about. 

Rich

Lostworlds- I couldn't agree more!

Agreed.

I would be surpirsed if there were any core positions remaining that had not made the transition to a viable empire by now. I would think many 30+ turn empires would be hard pressed to win in a one on one engagement with the elder races since they would be as much as two years behind. In my opinoin most of races in this game are competitive.

We'll I have a different perspective. I started the game on turn one. I for one have learned to play my position. Due to my RM, I will usually be the last one to get that advanced weapon or new toy for the month. I refuse to use more than one research center as I have seen some do to catch up? Being dumb has helped me not follow some poor tech paths. I was the fool that selected psychology as one of my research avenues and guess what I discovered what it lead to.

I built a nearly 8 million ton ship and watched it fall into an archaic history. Powerful fleets today will be tommorrows screens. We still do not know what tech is useless. Yep, I was one of those fellows that thought improved textiles were useful. I still find energy dispesion armor useful to build up to the 1000 ton limit on screens. Screens are great to harass scout ships.

I already have leaders on my colonies in the hope that they would do something. Hey good move on my part. My world likes to colonize and has yet to conquer another world. Shrug. I'm still having fun. That's what the game is about. 

Rich

Not a turn one guy (just got turn #60 for my first position), but I also tried some things like Improved Textiles and have refused to double up on research items. Bottom line, you are having fun and so am I. That's why we play the game. So from one dumby to another..... :ninja:

Octus

I am definitely having a blast playing this game!

For a while, I thought I should drop my beginning empires and start a new one. I would have been able to overtake and surpass. But I just couldn’t do it; I’m too emotionally attached to both of my empires.

My Slith empire has finally reached the point where I would call it reasonably well developed. Other empires have researched all the way to the end of some product line. But I have researched every product line to a useful level. Other empires have captured home worlds. But I control a reasonable amount of territory, and I’ve had time to get it well organized.

My Horde Empire is not as advanced technologically. But they are finally starting to make progress on colonization and production. That empire has GREAT allies, and we’re involved in a war. So it is a great source of fun and excitement.

If I were to start over now, I would actually be losing something. It would take a long time to get back to this level.

Rich

Not a turn one guy (just got turn #60 for my first position), but I also tried some things like Improved Textiles and have refused to double up on research items. Bottom line, you are having fun and so am I. That's why we play the game. So from one dumby to another..... :D

Octus

Hey Improved textiles now have a purpose so it's not wasted. :ninja:

Rich

Not a turn one guy (just got turn #60 for my first position), but I also tried some things like Improved Textiles and have refused to double up on research items. Bottom line, you are having fun and so am I. That's why we play the game. So from one dumby to another..... :ranting:

Octus

Hey Improved textiles now have a purpose so it's not wasted. :P

And maybe there is hope for Improved and Advanced Food Concentrates? Better fighters because of better chow? Or do they just get fat and lazy, nullifying the pluses with minuses? The speculation will never cease!

Octus

Rich

Not a turn one guy (just got turn #60 for my first position), but I also tried some things like Improved Textiles and have refused to double up on research items. Bottom line, you are having fun and so am I. That's why we play the game. So from one dumby to another..... :drunk:

Octus

Hey Improved textiles now have a purpose so it's not wasted. :P

And maybe there is hope for Improved and Advanced Food Concentrates? Better fighters because of better chow? Or do they just get fat and lazy, nullifying the pluses with minuses? The speculation will never cease!

Octus

I thought that you needed Improved Food Concentrates for McBovines and StarBars on your colonies. :ranting:

PS to those of you wondering there was a message. :taz:

...The speculation will never cease!

Octus

That is the one thing we're extremely heavy on--speculation. And given the complexity of the game and the holes in understanding, it will likely continue to be the one sure thing on the boards.

Heck, that's half the fun on the boards for me -- the speculation and debate/discussion surrounding the impacts of said speculations. The other half is the "in character" posts and banter. :)

-SK :blink:

Heck, that's half the fun on the boards for me -- the speculation and debate/discussion surrounding the impacts of said speculations.  The other half is the "in character" posts and banter. :)

-SK  :blink:

Quite right. There is the odd bit of advice that's valuable here now and again, but mostly its the speculation, debate, Pete's codetalk, and of course the IC posts. Thanks to Eternus, we even get the SNROTE reader now.