Rolling Thunder Forums

RTG Christmas

Virmilyn

Its not quite that time but I’ve already begun thinking of Santa Pete dropping off SRPs.

Since we’ve all been good Emperors, maybe Santa Pete will grant us all an item off our tech wish list instead of SRPs?

If you would prefer SRPs, Great.

But maybe, just maybe, if we all send our lists to the North Star:

You’ll get those Mk 6 Force Shields you’ve been wanting ever since you got Mk 5’s

Or

That Deep Core surveyor all your neighbors have

Celebrating the fourth year of SNROTE perhaps slot 4 in our research list will have a little magic.

Santa? Hello?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I prefer SRPs as there are a couple of items I wish to speed up. Also even older empires can make use of SRPs whereas younger empires would be hurt by this proposal since they can often get more than one item and move their research along.

On the other hand, I think you can blend this proposal with the standard Santa Pete approach by requesting that he grant a one time relaxation of the 4th generation limitation. I don't know how this would affect game balance.

well, personnaly, i would be quite cheesed if my hard researched tech advantage of a level 5 or 6 item was erased with a relaxing of the buy standards for SRP's. I think the method previously used is the best method. Anything else is potentially unbalancing, at least more than just the points are.

And some core positions that have only been reaserching level 5 or higher items will still ave use of SRP's to make corrections.

:cheers::thumbsup::drunk:

well, personnaly, i would be quite cheesed if my hard researched tech advantage of a level 5 or 6 item was erased with a relaxing of the buy standards for SRP's.  I think the method previously used is the best method.  Anything else is potentially unbalancing, at least more than just the points are.

And some core positions that have only been reaserching level 5 or higher items will still ave use of SRP's to make corrections. 

:cheers:  :thumbsup:  :drunk:

Agreed. And I've always wanted the razor wire and tazer, as well as the Triton Short Range Sonar...

Octus

I've heard of Christmas in July, but Christmas in May???

It's never too early to be making up your wish list. :drunk:

Santa is always busy. Providing Santa with periodic reminders of how nice we are and what type of presents we want come X-Mas is merely our trying to be helpful.

Hey, I know. Lets help Santa with the Naughty list! Being helpful with this list will show Santa how helpful and considerate you can be .. and will also help Santa, who is so busy, identify the naughty ones to get coal in their engines come X-Mas. SO .. WHO should go on the Naughty list??? :thumbsup:

I worryabout game balance, actually.  I'd be upset if I had spent dozens of turns researching a weapon system and suddenly my neighbor was gifted with something that countered it.

I think that the system Santa has currently is just fine!

One cat's opinion.  :thumbsup:

I agree with the cat.

As much as I would like to instantly have the Ultimate Big Rock, I think it would be unfair for all concerned. If you really want a neato whiz bang dodad, put all your rc's on it.

One spartan's opinion.

I worryabout game balance, actually.  I'd be upset if I had spent dozens of turns researching a weapon system and suddenly my neighbor was gifted with something that countered it.

One cat's opinion.   :thumbsup:

I agree with the cat.

As much as I would like to instantly have the Ultimate Big Rock, I think it would be unfair for all concerned. If you really want a neato whiz bang dodad, put all your rc's on it.

One spartan's opinion.

I think the SRP gift inflation is starting to get a bit much.

One cat's opinion.   :o

I agree with the cat.

One spartan's opinion.

I can understand the boosts in the SRP to keep up with the older empires, so the gift has some nice value. But by now, most of the elder races are into the real high end techs .. where SRP's cannot (supposedly) be applied. The gift does is allow them to buy a lower level item they always wanted (like Improved Black Market Goods). And since this is the case, one can argue that even the 36 from last year was excessive, as 24 would be enough to buy one or two low level items just for fun.

Still, I won't argue. Given 12 for year 1, 24 for year 2, 36 for year 3. I guess we can expect all expect 48 SRP for year 4 (so go ahead folks, plan for it and budget for it expecting it to show up .. go right ahead .. trust me.. the checks in the mail). The first few years bought up some critical items I was researching. Last year I used the 36 on a couple of "always wanted" low level techs. With 48 I could get that Heavy Flamethrower for lighting the candles, and maybe the VibroSaw for cutting the turkey. Yeah..... :alien:

One cat's opinion.  :alien:

I agree with the cat.

One spartan's opinion.

I can understand the boosts in the SRP to keep up with the older empires, so the gift has some nice value. But by now, most of the elder races are into the real high end techs .. where SRP's cannot (supposedly) be applied. The gift does is allow them to buy a lower level item they always wanted (like Improved Black Market Goods). And since this is the case, one can argue that even the 36 from last year was excessive, as 24 would be enough to buy one or two low level items just for fun.

Still, I won't argue. Given 12 for year 1, 24 for year 2, 36 for year 3. I guess we can expect all expect 48 SRP for year 4 (so go ahead folks, plan for it and budget for it expecting it to show up .. go right ahead .. trust me.. the checks in the mail). The first few years bought up some critical items I was researching. Last year I used the 36 on a couple of "always wanted" low level techs. With 48 I could get that Heavy Flamethrower for lighting the candles, and maybe the VibroSaw for cutting the turkey. Yeah..... :alien:

Well, that certainly is the Holiday spirit. :o

One cat's opinion.   :alien:

I agree with the cat.

One spartan's opinion.

Well, that certainly is the Holiday spirit. :o

Don't forget the Ferret Excavator Tank for digging up the Yams......and missing teamster union presidents. :robot:

You can please most of the people some of the time.

You can please some of the people most of the time.

But you can never please a SN gamer.

If everyone gets one and only one wish, how can it be unbalanced? This is not changing the structure of the game, just another way to add flavor to the system. If you think one tech advance is unbalancing the game, then RTG should not give out SRPs. That gives my enemy the opportunity to go from a ‘Fair’ defensive system to a ‘Good’ defensive system in short order, countering my ‘Good’ rated weapon.

How deep do you want to go down the rabbits hole? There is an argument for every view. RTG Christmas kicks the game alittle to break the monotone advancement of tech. So why not this. Give it a kick and a slap. If its structure and predictability you want in a game, go play chess.

Again, I agree with the cat.

Here's a point to ponder. RTG is going to give you one ultimate thing you want. However, we have those who have extensive knowledge of the tech tree and even have an idea of something they want. Perhaps you're not, and your ultimate thing you can think of is 40cm Autocannon.

Me? I'd take neutronium. No real idea what it is, but if it's armor I'd be all set.

Alright, I really think this idea is a bad one (call me a snova gamer, I'm never happy).

Xmass srp's? I like them since I spent almost all of the setup points on my first empire and it's a chance to get something I could use. That being said, if we received nothing at all, I wouldn't upset.

Ok, here's an idea. How about each player gets a billion iron?

Lord Uriel