Rolling Thunder Forums

Oh those Magnificent Spinals

Prospective

I've been running through old turns in an effort to compile all EXPL hits. After working on this tedious project, I developed a list and have been reviewing it. I noticed there were several instances of "Spinal" technology hits, which I assume to be the "biggest and baddest" versions of the various weapons systems. I had reference to a rail gun (projectile), incinerators (plasma or perhaps fusion tech) and mesons (particle beam). Due to a generous post a while back, there appears to be a Spinal Antimatter Cannon too. However, no reference to any of the remaining 11 weapon tech fields having a "spinal classified" weapon system.

This leads me to ask the following: Does each of the 15 lines of weapon tech eventually lead to a "spinal" type weap system? I have to believe that the answer is yes and that my EXPL results are too limited to provide a complete picture. A no answer would be a blow to those of us devoting many RC's to developing along the other tech lines, only to find that they chose the "wrong" path way back in the beginning and will have to restart from scratch on another techline.

Pete, will you comment on that? Not looking for any specifics (unless of course you wish to get specific). Just a general reassurance that if the right pre-req's are researched, each of the 15 weapons tech lines will blossom into a MAGNIFICENT strength (or higher rated) spinal weapon system.

Thanks and happy holidays.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been running through old turns in an effort to compile all EXPL hits. After working on this tedious project, I developed a list and have been reviewing it. I noticed there were several instances of "Spinal" technology hits, which I assume to be the "biggest and baddest" versions of the various weapons systems. I had reference to a rail gun (projectile), incinerators (plasma or perhaps fusion tech) and mesons (particle beam). Due to a generous post a while back, there appears to be a Spinal Antimatter Cannon too. However, no reference to any of the remaining 11 weapon tech fields having a "spinal classified" weapon system.

This leads me to ask the following: Does each of the 15 lines of weapon tech eventually lead to a "spinal" type weap system? I have to believe that the answer is yes and that my EXPL results are too limited to provide a complete picture. A no answer would be a blow to those of us devoting many RC's to developing along the other tech lines, only to find that they chose the "wrong" path way back in the beginning and will have to restart from scratch on another techline.

Pete, will you comment on that? Not looking for any specifics (unless of course you wish to get specific). Just a general reassurance that if the right pre-req's are researched, each of the 15 weapons tech lines will blossom into a MAGNIFICENT strength (or higher rated) spinal weapon system.

There wont be a spinal version of the missile tech tree.. just really MASSIVE missiles. :D

I think there are only nine other systems as Fighters and Drones do not lead to Spinal weapons or so I am told. :D

I think there are only nine other systems as Fighters and Drones do not lead to Spinal weapons or so I am told. :D

Cao Cao The Nice Guy can tell you different:

Spinal Attack Gunboat: Spinal Attack Gunboats are magnificently armed strike bombers equipped with the most advanced onboard spinal energy weapon. Like its smaller namesake, the Spinal Attack Gunboat has no antimissile or other close-in defense systems and is incapable of engaging enemy ordnance, fighters, drones or gunboats. Unlike its smaller namesake it has no antiship missile capability, but it is still capable at blowing holes in enemy ships…. (10,000 tons) 10,000 Advanced Steel - 20,000 Advanced Electronics - 10,000 Advanced Processed Radioactives - 10,000 Fuel

Classification: Fighter Bay Range: Beam Structural Integrity: 10,000

Prerequisite Technologies: Attack Gunboat, Siege Graser

Coherent Beam Strength: Magnificent [5120000]

Cao Cao the Nice Guy is nice to you, yes?

Beam Weapons

(Laser, Graser, Fusion Blaster, Fusion Bolt, Hellfire and Antimatter)

Drones

Energy Discharge (Lightning arc, Thunderbolt)

Energy Drain (Tachyon, ESAP and Energy Projectors)

Fighters

Gravitic (Grapples, Tractor, Pressor and Shaker)

Plasma (Torpedos, Thermal Lance, P-Cannon, Hellbore, Cold-bases)

Projectile (Autocannon, Gauss, Chain Gun, Needler)

Mines

Missiles

Torpedos

Sonic (Stun, Disruptor, Disintergrator, Energy/Matter Disruptors)

Feel free to make any corrections or additions.

Lord SaHeru

Well, actually fighers, drones and missiles all do "missile" damage. Even though they are 3 distinct lines, I sort of lump them all together because of this commonality.

Pete, any comments regarding "Spinal" class weapons? Does each distinct technology type have the potential to develop a "spinal" class weapon system (or at least have a possibility of being rated in the MAGNIFICENT strenth category), assuming the correct pre-req's are researched? Or will some be capped before becoming a "MAGNIFICENT" Spinal?