Rolling Thunder Forums

Message to Carthaginian Empire

Coconutheads

Hannibal,

As your last response took more than a month I'll post here hoping you read forum posts more frequently than your inbox.

Contrary to your latest email, communication is never futile or a waste of time. It's unfortunate that you did not start a dialog from the beginning. Instead, you chose to make an outright declaration of borders, telling me to steer clear of <censored> and beyond. You offered no flexibility, no hope of negotiation. You simply backed me into a wall and demanded that your declared borders be respected.

As you've no doubt discovered, non-negotiated borders are useless and unworthy of respect. All parties must agree to borders for them to be binding. Do you continue to maintain that the <censored>, <censored>, <censored>, <censored>, etc. systems are your space?

Or, have your passions calmed at long last? Would you care to negotiate a MUTUALLY acceptable border, one that is worthy of respect? I'm pretty much out of unarmed scouts.

It's your decision.

Hannibal,

As your last response took more than a month I'll post here hoping you read forum posts more frequently than your inbox.

Contrary to your latest email, communication is never futile or a waste of time. It's unfortunate that you did not start a dialog from the beginning. Instead, you chose to make an outright declaration of borders, telling me to steer clear of <censored> and beyond. You offered no flexibility, no hope of negotiation. You simply backed me into a wall and demanded that your declared borders be respected.

As you've no doubt discovered, non-negotiated borders are useless and unworthy of respect. All parties must agree to borders for them to be binding. Do you continue to maintain that the <censored>, <censored>, <censored>, <censored>, etc. systems are your space?

Or, have your passions calmed at long last? Would you care to negotiate a MUTUALLY acceptable border, one that is worthy of respect? I'm pretty much out of unarmed scouts.

It's your decision.

First clue that this effort is unlikely to work. The address line: Hannibal

Second clue: Shortage of unarmed scouts

It appears likely the war drums are sounding. Good luck!

Octus Imperium

Hannibal,

It's your decision.

Octus Imperium

Hannibal, is that as in Lecter or Africanus?

Hannibal,

It's your decision.

Octus Imperium

Octus what do you mean in your comment about Hannibal in the address line? Am I missing something about Hannibal?

For the most part all I seem to do is to lose small and/or unarmed scouts to him as he maintains that systems one jump and beyond from a planet I control is his soverign territory. I am told that I am to respect borders that I have not participated in establishing. Then am accused of being aggressive when I disregard these unilaterally declared borders. I've never seen any proposal from him to negotiate borders. It's simply a case of Hannibal saying 'take what I give to you' and live with it.

Ali I think he is a mixture of both Lechter and Africanus based on my own personal losses to date.

Sounds like we need to hear the other side of the argument before the cheering and booing can start. Things are rarely as one sided as they appear once you get the full facts.

Good luck in establishing workable borders. It can be very difficult to just take a given border, but one wonders is war is really worth it.

:laugh::P

Hobknob I hope you have time on your hands. If Hannibal's most recent response to me is any indicator we should expect to hear something in four to six weeks. This is my reason for posting in the forum. I have noted that he doesn't frequently log in to the boards to check his email any longer. My hope is that one of his allies might note this post and respond. Or perhaps an ally could alert Hannibal to this post if he doesn't visit the boards frequently. There is an email waiting for him to read when he next logs on which is very similar to the post that started this thread. I'm sure that neither cheering or booing will be helpful to resolve any issues that Hannibal or I have. I am certain it will come anyway.

It will be Hannibal's choice whether to leave this thread be one sided. His communications to me have become most plain. He claims a certain system <lets call it system x> that is directly connected to a system containing a dropped HW I have acquired. He also claims all systems "beyond x". Considering how WP's are intertwined, that claim is quite nebulous and doesn't mean much. He did provide a list of system names which HE claimed as soverign territory. He did not offer to negotiate in any way and has not to this day. Having a "neighbor" one jump from a HW is not acceptable.

I've always found that players who claim "communication is futile" or who fail to communicate do so as they already have their minds made up, and nothing you say or do will dissuade them from what they plan to do. As a matter of fact, they want to avoid communication. Why? By not talking, this removes you from their view of being another player in the game .. another actual living person. You become a mere set of numbers on a set of turn results. This is how they avoid any guilt over stepping all over you as you're mere numbers on a sheet at that point, a conceptual item and not fully real to them.

Now that's not to say you couldn't have peace. I mean if he did not claim the HW system and left it to you and you agreed to his terms on the ownership of stars ... well, war might be avoided. Of course the assumption here is he hasn't made up his mind already to build up a massive fleet in the nearby star system, and then invade and claim the HW once he's ready. If you can assume that.

Note: By the way, a long time ago some other player claimed that all stars in the universe, both seen and unseen, belong to him. So the other player has a secondary claim to the stars anyway. B)

Hannibal,

It's your decision.

Octus Imperium

Octus what do you mean in your comment about Hannibal in the address line? Am I missing something about Hannibal?

For the most part all I seem to do is to lose small and/or unarmed scouts to him as he maintains that systems one jump and beyond from a planet I control is his soverign territory. I am told that I am to respect borders that I have not participated in establishing. Then am accused of being aggressive when I disregard these unilaterally declared borders. I've never seen any proposal from him to negotiate borders. It's simply a case of Hannibal saying 'take what I give to you' and live with it.

Ali I think he is a mixture of both Lechter and Africanus based on my own personal losses to date.

I have no special knowledge of Hannibal. Ali-t-akua read between the lines perfectly. If someone is role playing and using Hannibal, I would strengthen my defenses. Of course, it is always good to strengthen one's defenses, but you know where to deploy them.

And good luck. While the cheering and booing should await both sides, when there is only one side communicating and they appear reasonable, one tends to lean in their direction.

Octus

Octus I think Hannibal's <the general> last name was Barca so I was confused by the references. I thought it was Scipio Africanus not Hannibal Africanus. I get it now. I should have sufficient defenses for now.

I'm sure that some think I am unreasonable in this matter specifically Hannibal and maybe others. Maybe I am and I should accept the borders that he has determined. Reasonable and unreasonable all depends on your viewpoint. I maintain that respecting a border which starts in a system directly adjacent to one containing a dropped HW that I control is unreasonable. I might understand if Carthage contested my control of this dropped HW. He has said he had no interest in the <censored> system. If he had a HW or a major base within a few jumps of this system I might understand his claim of 'sovereign territory' so close to this dropped HW. I have mapped all systems that are 3 beyond the <censored> system and he has nothing in any of them. Maybe 4 or 5 out but preliminary investigations of those systems indicate more nothing in those systems. It appears that all these systems are on his outer fringes. He said that he has many allies and named Fandor Yutan, TPI, Knights of Kynigos, Rogue Republic The Black Cloud and UWA. Has anyone out there heard of any of these empires? I've never seen them mentioned in the RTG site and I've done searches on the ones with enough characters. Does anyone have contact with them or are one of them reading this post? Perhaps they could tell Hannibal that he has a message that he should consider?

D.I.E. perhaps you have a point in your recommendation. I am considering it.

Not that it matters to you, but the Sabeli Ecok 'territory' consists of: 1) all systems in which I control a HW or colony; 2) all systems 1 or 2 jumps from a system listed in 1 above; and 3) all systems between 1) above and my HW. The only acception to this are systems fitting within 3 above that I recognize as belonging to an ally. B)

I am Confused, I thought RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, Not communication

Resistant communication is futile. B)

I am Confused, I thought RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, Not communication

No, no, no!

Resistance in futile... Communication is IRRELIVANT! B)

We know you are confused, Macrohard. It's one of your charms. B)

Imperial Demonic Envelopement

If communication is irrelevant, then why do the Borg keep responding to hails (or sending their own hails which I never understood) of "Resistance is Futile"? Sounds like they have a few crossed wires in that uni-matrix of theirs, wasting time on such a trivial item as communication. :cheers: