Rolling Thunder Forums

Here's a crazy question...

biomekanic

Yep - picked up a couple of nice items too

forgot to mention - I think you MUST do it from orbit

So, as a follow up, does that then mean you have to have cargo space in your fleet or you lose the items you find?

Yep. And a drone rack and fighter bay in case you find drones or fighters.

Yep - picked up a couple of nice items too

forgot to mention - I think you MUST do it from orbit

So, as a follow up, does that then mean you have to have cargo space in your fleet or you lose the items you find?

Yep. And a drone rack and fighter bay in case you find drones or fighters.

You can station a ship over your HW with more than 25000 T of cargo and a drone rack and a fighter bay and do the following order sequence

XEXPL

XOC from the exploration fleet to your HW popgroup ALL NO FUEL

XEXPL

XOC from the exploration fleet to your HW popgroup ALL NO FUEL

Over the next several turns you will fully explore your HW and collect some interesting stuff that can be up to 2 to 3 generations above your current tech. Occasionally you will get a tech hit. Sometimes the tech hit will be for something in your research queue which will add to your research. Sometimes it will give you a hint to some future research.

You can also do this for other planets by dropping on colony beacon to set up a pop group.

:jawdrop:

You don't have to have a ship in orbit to do the EXPL on yer homeworld. I use a ground station with cargo space and stuff for my HW. That has worked since the beginning.

Sakarissa :D

The Circle

Good to know. So, a ground installation with Cargo, Drone Rack, and Fighter bay. Assign an explorer and let it it EXPL for a while.

Thanks. :beer:

It will take hundreds of total explores to mine out your HW so several fleets at 2 AP could be doing exploration. Also, the stuff that you find is generally at 4th Gen or lower including stuff like power, resources, raw, etc.. If you don't have any cargo you will lose the materials

You can always do an ORB to see what exploration sites have been found by your explorers as well as getting the report on how thoroughly the world has been explored.

I find it a waste of orders to do the XEXP, XOC pairs. I wait and XOC only after about 10 or 20 explores and just use larger freighters to capture more stuff.

Newer ship designs have eliminated the XOC all together as they have sufficient cargo to pick up anything found.

On a side note, it may be possible to get a really advanced item. Nobody is claiming to have cone so at present, but some of the really advanced items are also really big. Weapons, in particular, can be well over 1M tons.