Rolling Thunder Forums

New Player would like to check a couple of things...

Mentara

Hi,

Just joined, got my first turn and having spent about 4 days reading every post since time began, i thought that before i exploded i should check some of the basics. I am planning on staying in my system until i get the hang of things... plus there is nothing easily colonisable in my home system so i'll build my homeworld.

A quick one to start us off:

1. My turn shows me a nice empty graph at the beginning called Life Form Modifiers. Should there be something in this?

2. For all my yielding materials iron, lumber etc. I think i have the various equations but want to check:

Iron Yield 512 = 2660 mines and 761036 production which needs 2660 population to do so.

Do they all cost 500 construction materials to build? What do i get back for scrapping strip mining?

3. There was mention of a 100-1 rule when talking about having more than 1 population centre something about it making your 10-1 buildings more efficient? Completely lost me :-) What is a 100-1 rule?

4. I have hydroeclectic potential 204 so was planning to scrap my fission plants and build hydro generators based on the forum advice. But i don't know what it costs to build them - nor fission plants for that matter?

5. I managed to find this as a base explorer vessel... any good?

1 Mk I Nuclear Engine

25000 Cargo Bays

3 Fighter Bays

3 Drone Rack

25000 Fuel Tankage

1 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive

5 Type A Science Lab

5 Survey Lander

5 Light Magnetic Grapnels

1 Mk I Computer System

6. Exploration - lets say i am exploring a planet... can i only do that once or as many times as i like? If so des the return get less and less or the chance getless and less?

7. A little confused by AP's. My home planet tells me it takes 0.5 AP's to get to it... or is this distance from the sun?

8. Presumably if i scrap things i get that population back to work with?

9. If scrapping ships do i get the major and minor components back or do i get the actual items on the ship? i.e. iron or jump drive?

10. Given how i am not really planning to leave the system right now should i scrap the pathfinders and focus on the new explorer ships who have some cargo space?

11. I can't find anywhere that tells me where my stored research points are (the ones from not taking all my points into my lifeform)

12. My world is pretty damn freezing (dim redsun and all) and covered in toxc polllution - if anyone knows some useful things i should be researching/installing specfically for this it would be appreciated.

13. Do only mines and shipyards need power? And is it 1 power per mine and 100 per shipyard / stripmine?

14. I read i a few posts that we need to produce 500 construction materials a turn for every pop unit? Is that correct?

15. Last (for now) is it fair to say if i am sticking to my homeworld i need a Deep Core Surveyor ASAP?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out!

Written by chief scribe to

Mentara Witch King of the Chosen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Just joined, got my first turn and having spent about 4 days reading every post since time began, i thought that before i exploded i should check some of the basics. I am planning on staying in my system until i get the hang of things... plus there is nothing easily colonisable in my home system so i'll build my homeworld.

A quick one to start us off:

1. My turn shows me a nice empty graph at the beginning called Life Form Modifiers. Should there be something in this?

2. For all my yielding materials iron, lumber etc. I think i have the various equations but want to check:

Iron Yield 512 = 2660 mines and 761036 production which needs 2660 population to do so.

Do they all cost 500 construction materials to build? What do i get back for scrapping strip mining?

3. There was mention of a 100-1 rule when talking about having more than 1 population centre something about it making your 10-1 buildings more efficient? Completely lost me :-) What is a 100-1 rule?

4. I have hydroeclectic potential 204 so was planning to scrap my fission plants and build hydro generators based on the forum advice. But i don't know what it costs to build them - nor fission plants for that matter?

5. I managed to find this as a base explorer vessel... any good?

1 Mk I Nuclear Engine

25000 Cargo Bays

3 Fighter Bays

3 Drone Rack

25000 Fuel Tankage

1 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive

5 Type A Science Lab

5 Survey Lander

5 Light Magnetic Grapnels

1 Mk I Computer System

6. Exploration - lets say i am exploring a planet... can i only do that once or as many times as i like? If so des the return get less and less or the chance getless and less?

7. A little confused by AP's. My home planet tells me it takes 0.5 AP's to get to it... or is this distance from the sun?

8. Presumably if i scrap things i get that population back to work with?

9. If scrapping ships do i get the major and minor components back or do i get the actual items on the ship? i.e. iron or jump drive?

10. Given how i am not really planning to leave the system right now should i scrap the pathfinders and focus on the new explorer ships who have some cargo space?

11. I can't find anywhere that tells me where my stored research points are (the ones from not taking all my points into my lifeform)

12. My world is pretty damn freezing (dim redsun and all) and covered in toxc polllution - if anyone knows some useful things i should be researching/installing specfically for this it would be appreciated.

13. Do only mines and shipyards need power? And is it 1 power per mine and 100 per shipyard / stripmine?

14. I read i a few posts that we need to produce 500 construction materials a turn for every pop unit? Is that correct?

15. Last (for now) is it fair to say if i am sticking to my homeworld i need a Deep Core Surveyor ASAP?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out!

Written by chief scribe to

Mentara Witch King of the Chosen

Welcome to the galaxy.

1. Depends what stats you race has. They are relative bars so I suppose its possible for them all to be equal (and possibly 0)

2. Max of 2560 miners giving production of 655360. The manimum number of miners is the resource *5. The production is (Resource - Mines/10)*Mines. Each mines cost 500CM and 1 Populaton, you get all that back when you scrap them.

3. Some installations function best when there is 1 for every 100 population you have eg Fluid Conversion Plant

4. Hydro cost 250,000 cm, Fission costs 500,000.

5. Seem reasonable.

6. As many times as you want with diminishing returns.

7. The planet is .5 AUs (Astronomical Units) , not APs from the sun. Its takes 1 AP to get from any planet in system to any other planet.

8. Yes

9. You get the items eg MK I Nuclear Engines, not the components of those items eg Electronics.

10. I would keep the pathfinders. They are useful to survey the planets in your home systsem and come in useful when surveying the galaxy.

11. Its a hidden value. You have to manually keep track of it.

12. Your race is optimised for your homeworld. You will be best colonising worlds that match your homeworld. If you are not going to colonise, don't worry.

13. Lots of other things do too.

14. You don't NEED to. Everntally, you will replace all the Industrial Complexes and Stripmines with their Improved and then Advanced version, which will free up all the CMs currently spend on them.

15. If you are not colonising, you will need to boost your homeworld. Deep Core Surveyors and ICE are both useful.

My own best belated discovery (literally minutes after asking on this site) was the RTG download section on this forum which I had overlooked. There's some interesting stuff there, not least of all the Installation Supplement, Convoy Route Supplement, and the Orders Supplement.

I think the biggest adjustment I had to make was in producing lumber>timber(& steel)>construction materials. Oh yeah - and iron>steel>construction materials/ships hulls/landers/cargo bays/engines/whatever. Lots of it. In an unending stream. And never forget (as I did more than once) the crystals/petrochemicals/industrial chemicals/gaseous elements>refined crystals/synthetic materials>electronics. They're kinda (read extremely) useful too. The initial stockpile soon gets used up - so don't go throwing away your stripmines just yet.

Enjoy.

One mining note. Always have the number of mines end in 5. IE .. if you yield is 512, and want to max it at 512 x 5 = 2660 Mines, then build 2665. Why? Just a quirk in how the mining formula works behind the scene. It was mentioned how the resource production (sans any impact from legendary characters) is Mines x (Yield - Mines / 10). Well, Mines / 10 is rounded before it is subtracted from the yield. It rounds up when it goes above x.5, and rounds down for x.5 and lower. That means that Round (2660 / 10) = 266, and Round (2665 / 10) = 266. So those 5 extra mines in this case produce 5x266 = 1330 more Iron ore. Getting the same from stripmines would require 14 strip mines + 56 Industrial complex to convert it to Iron = 70 constructed buildings.

So, figure our your Yield x 5 .. and if it ends in 0, add 5 to the final amount. That will max your production.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been lookling at warp points and i must be missing something. If i build all the science installations i my first turn and keep mkI survey sensors i get something like 165 strength which is more than enough to do up to i guess F warp points.

Have i completely missed something?

Its a little bit more than that, the rules don't give the biggest science instalation, so if you build all the science instalations even a single pathfinder should be able to survey any warp point out there. Now for the problems, first of you will need about 40000 tons of construction material, 10 colonists and a nice planet to put them on, which will cause a large amount of probems if you in a warp nexus heavy zone.

One thing you should be aware of is all SURV of all warp points going to and from your home system will always succed even with those silly little pathfinders.

Sir Smeg B)

Some people choose to quickly SRP requirements for TWD and MK IV JJS which are useful for the duration of the game. Others build big explorers with 10 or even 20 of the lower tech JJS and add in an explorer and maybe a scientist for good measure.

Whatever you do, just be sure to be able to sustain 40 orders a turn otherwise you are wasting real-life resources.

Easy tiger, you're about a year out from even finding someone, let alone launching an orbital assault.

1. You need to read all the resources available to you. Check the issues of the old SNROTE Reader. Some stuff may not apply, but it has information. There are other pieces of information out there. PM if you like and I'll send you the old Eternus (may he rejoin the game), document. It's about 80 pages of information compiled from this and the old board.

2. There have been a number of new players in the past 6 -12 months who have asked about forming or joining a tech sharing group. Try contacting some of them and see if they're still interested in this prospect.

3. In connection with above. Knowledge is power in this game. Tech paths, warp points, and system names all have meaning to people who frequent the boards, and not all players are an active part of the board community. Some troll the boards for the odd reference that may give an edge. Be careful what you share.

4. Do not dismantle your stripmines. You will need them to build items you cannot mine (or not mine enough of) on your HW. Pay attention to your build que. You'll screw it up from time to time and not build your components in the right order which will mess things up, but it's not the end of the world.

5. Download the Phasedragon spreadsheets. They no longer work as intended, but there is information in them and the ship design spread sheet is still relatively useful. The link is around here somewhere and some other player may be nice and post it for you.

6. Research is the holy grail. You'll spend the rest of your time in this game trying to figure out the best way to make use of those 25 Research Centers (known as RCs).

However, a few suggestions for your scientists. Some things you will always need are engines, the more thrust the better. You will need better than Mk I JUmp Survey Sensor. Some players have stopped at Mk III and then used characters, some at Mk IV, and some have hinted that they have Mk VI. Mk VI will take some real investment in RC's and time to complete. Most likely you will different models of exploration ships running about the galaxy as your tech increases.

7. Ground tech. Not very important for you at the moment, but don't ignore it. Throw in some ground tech occasionally as you continue to develop the newest spit ball thrower to destroy enemy ships.

8. Be prepared to go to war with the first player you contact , but hope to form an alliance. It is impossible to research and build all things in this game.

9. Ask questions from the community and Pete whenever you are stuck.

10. Be prepared for the bi-weekly frustration of checking for turns every 20 minutes or so on Fridays. Even when Pete or Russ have indicated that they will not be out until the next day. B):D:(

Lotrd Uriel

OK good tips. Another thing occurs to me although its hardly vital for me right now. I've scanned through some ground battles which show lots of divisions with different stats... how do i find out what stats my own divisions have? Is their an order for it?

Thanks

The TAC order does that for you. But you need to have build that division and assigned it to a single

army.

And keep in mind, that only the values show up for fields you have some tech developed in.

Another quick check - sorry about this:

I've got to the point (finally) where i am inputting my build orders... Do i need to put a build order in for raw materials from my stripmines and various components i.e. iron frmo an iron mine or do they arrive automatically?

Obviosuly i need to to make steel, electronics etc but what about this primary area?

Cheers

I've got to the point (finally) where i am inputting my build orders... Do i need to put a build order in for raw materials from my stripmines and various components i.e. iron frmo an iron mine or do they arrive automatically?

Obviosuly i need to to make steel, electronics etc but what about this primary area?

Cheers

Power is generated first (if resources are available)

Then mines operate automatically produce their stuff based on yields and legendary characters

Then stripmines work (up to available power) producing their set amount of Raw Materials

Then your build orders will commence.

Cheers

Power is generated first (if resources are available)

Then mines operate automatically produce their stuff based on yields and legendary characters

Then stripmines work (up to available power) producing their set amount of Raw Materials

Then your build orders will commence.

In addition any resource you want to convert such as iron, crystals, petrochemicals, etc. from raw resources you will need to issue a production order for. The ratio is 10:1. Since an empire rarely starts with everything they need in the correct proportions, Stripmines come in handy which is why you want to keep them.