Rolling Thunder Forums

Thermal Transfer Center

Emporer Magara

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it rather dissapointing that lifeform modifiers give you a generic bonus. What is the point in picking a specific mod if they all give you a generic modifier? You might as well have just picked how many plusses you want and pay for them. sad....

As far as starting over, I would have been seriously tempted if my lifeform philosophy had revolved around being hot or cold and not starting that way. Fortunately my ice dragon concept didn't rise to the top. I feel for those with lots of creativity who wanted to RP a bit more and are stuck on a HW that doesn't reflect the lifeform design.

:thumbsup:

Edited by hobknob

In general, I'm very happy with the game - sure, there are very murky areas in the rules, but they affect everyone the same, so I'm down with that.

There are 2 things that gall me a bit, though. One is the SRP thing. They are fine if you have no clue as to the tech tree, but once you do...wow, they can get unbalancing quick. The other is the inability to design the HW and the race to be sympatico. That just...irks me, somehow.

But all-in-all, I'm happy with the game, and with RTG. I understand the pressure they were under, and the slim margins they have to operate on. I'd rather have what we play now than have nothing at all, by far. Plus I still have a great deal oif faith in Pete and Russ. I've known them professionally for years, and they are doubtless among the very best PBM GM's I've ever seen - bar none.

And no, I very, very seldom call them - I figure they are busy enough as is without me bugging them.

I have to agree with sentiments of both cargus and hobknob. I think we are all looking for the same thing - a perfect space empire PBM! Along the way we can't help but point out things which could be improved upon to make the game better - in that respect I agree with the above comments about lifeform modifiers, SRPs & homeworld/racial design.

And before someone starts accusing people of "GM bashing" this isn't the case. The game as it stands is great, but there will always be tweaks or enhancements which would make it better. As the GMs obviously have only a finite amount of time which they can devote to such things I suggest we use the forum to vote/agree on which improvements the game players consider to be of the highest priority. Hopefully this will prevent the GMs from being swamped with requests and will also provide them with some decent customer feedback.