Rolling Thunder Forums

Leader in-system assignments

Sakarissa

My memory may be faulty on this, but I seem to recall Pete answering this years ago. It is assumed you have some sort of shuttles in system for use in transfering characters from one orbital location to another. However, I could be completely wrong.

All Leaders have "organic" transportation which allows you to assign them to any World or Fleet within the system they are already located.

You can go from Ceti Alpha-5 to Ceti Alpha-4 without having to use a Fleet (or blow up a planet). You can go from Ceta Alpha-5 to Fleet 3000 in orbit around Ceti Alpha-4 as well. What you cannot do is assign your leader to a Fleet in the Ceti Alpha system, move your Fleet to the Ceti Gamma system, and then re-assign the same character to another Fleet or World in the Ceti Gamma system.

I hope that answers your question.

-SK :cheers:

What you cannot do is assign your leader to a Fleet in the Ceti Alpha system, move your Fleet to the Ceti Gamma system, and then re-assign the same character to another Fleet or World in the Ceti Gamma system.

Are you sure on this? I could swear this was still allowed in the code. Perhaps it's not supposed to work? I've done this to get some Scientists assigned to on station exploration groups. AC to a fleet that's moving out, a few jumps later as we are passing through the system, AC them to the fleet doing repeated explores over a planet, and the other fleet moves on (all on the same turn of course). Of course it has been awhile since I tried.

What you cannot do is assign your leader to a Fleet in the Ceti Alpha system, move your Fleet to the Ceti Gamma system, and then re-assign the same character to another Fleet or World in the Ceti Gamma system.

Are you sure on this? I could swear this was still allowed in the code. Perhaps it's not supposed to work? I've done this to get some Scientists assigned to on station exploration groups. AC to a fleet that's moving out, a few jumps later as we are passing through the system, AC them to the fleet doing repeated explores over a planet, and the other fleet moves on (all on the same turn of course). Of course it has been awhile since I tried.

I confess that I have not tried to do it either lately. I can state with surity that you're not supposed to be able to "command circuit" a Legendary Character around. This was supposed to be fixed when the Amazing Translocating Psychic Spies bug was addressed. Shame on me for playing by the Spirit of the Rules and not the Lines of the Code. :P

-SK :ph34r:

If understand this correctly, this is different then my understanding of the issue with LCs. I thought that people were just moving Characters between systems without ever assigning them to a fleet. I thought that was a no no but that the code was not able to catch those moves until Pete's message last year. I had never thought of making two AC orders in a turn so this is news to me that it is also banned. Learn something new everyday. :P

If understand this correctly, this is different then my understanding of the issue with LCs. I thought that people were just moving Characters between systems without ever assigning them to a fleet. I thought that was a no no but that the code was not able to catch those moves until Pete's message last year. I had never thought of making two AC orders in a turn so this is news to me that it is also banned. Learn something new everyday. :ph34r:

There were players who were Assigning Characters, nominally Agents, to Worlds in Systems where their Empires had never been. You could write an Order, such as ...

AC, 007, World, Romulus, 1

... and Legendary Character 007 would move from your Homeworld to Romulus-1.

There was no internal check within the Code that basically asked the question, "Has the Romulus system ever been scanned by your Empire?" And if the answer was "No", it would invalidate the Order. Thus a group of players, or even one player with multiple Empires, could send their Agents to a Homeworld of a foe, or potential foe, if they knew the Honeworld of said foe through OOC information, as it were. This made a few people a little unhappy. :woohoo:

Before that we had the "teleporting" Lifeboat technology, where a Fleet would be destroyed but the Legendary Characters who were assigned to the Fleet would survive. You could use the DECF (Decomission Fleet) Order to bring the [now empty] Fleet back home [DECF, Home] and then reassign the LCs to a different Fleet. Some folks were even successful, back in the day, at just reassigning the LC to another Fleet, regardless of location. :woohoo:

I'm not sure how much of this has been fixed. If you've got the spare orders, feel free to experiment. :P It would defintely save you some Orders in the long run if you could just re-assign an Administrator straight from your Homeworld to one of your outer colonies without having to use a fleet to get your Bureaucrat there.

Good Luck! :D

-SK :woohoo:

It is my understanding that the only thing prevented was doing an AC to a character to move from System A to System B. This makes sense as Shadowkitsune has said. However, it also would make sense that if I have a character in System A I can assign him to Fleet 1 if that fleet is in the same system. I can then move that Fleet to System B, AC the character to a world (or another fleet) in System B and then keep moving the Fleet to other systems.

It was my understanding that you just couldn't AC to a fleet/world/army that would require the character to move through a WP. :P

It is my understanding that the only thing prevented was doing an AC to a character to move from System A to System B. This makes sense as Shadowkitsune has said. However, it also would make sense that if I have a character in System A I can assign him to Fleet 1 if that fleet is in the same system. I can then move that Fleet to System B, AC the character to a world (or another fleet) in System B and then keep moving the Fleet to other systems.

It was my understanding that you just couldn't AC to a fleet/world/army that would require the character to move through a WP. :P

This was my understanging also. You need to use a fleet to move characters intersystem, but you only need to use the AC command to move characters intrasystem. And you can AC an individual character as many timers per turn that you want.

This was my understanging also. You need to use a fleet to move characters intersystem, but you only need to use the AC command to move characters intrasystem. And you can AC an individual character as many timers per turn that you want.

I am pretty sure that I have moved a 2ap ship to a warp point and warped into new system. After the warp my exporer was able to ac to a different fleet and rush off to pop a G warp a couple warps away, in the same turn. Was this what you were trying to do?

Pete sort of clarified the naked warp theory. If there is no ship, to warp in, the leader dies.

There has been a fair bit of concern over spies being remotely assigned. That capability has been fixed.

However, it makes so little sense for a spy to not be able to move independently that now spies are just about useless.

After all. What is a spy for if not to infiltrate through the local Star Bar franchise and spy on your neighbors, be they friends or enemies?

Once you have a fleet sitting over the home world of your enemy then the time for spies is past and the Admirals will need to take over.

I do think there needed to be some sort of fix for the issue that did not involve making spies relatively useless once again.

btw - has anybody ever been successful in capturing an enemy agent? I have several captured HW's and the former, read dropped, positions spies show up all the time. So far I have not seen any of my spy catchers actually catch one.

oh well... a few orders saved not needing to move spies around..

:ph34r::P

btw - has anybody ever been successful in capturing an enemy agent? I have several captured HW's and the former, read dropped, positions spies show up all the time. So far I have not seen any of my spy catchers actually catch one.

Same here, and my agents have been equally inept at catching the rebels. I've even added all the 'spy defense' installations and those rebel spies still show up about every other turn.

Sigh.

:ph34r::P