Rolling Thunder Forums

Homeworld Industrial Production

Takeda

I am thinking about firing my economics minister and rewriting all my homeworld production orders from scratch. Things are getting increasingly complicated with the greater demand for improved and advanced goods over the old regular stuff.

Anyone have any experience with doing this? Suggestions or stories of doom and gloom?

Anyone want to hire my ex-economics minister? I'll trade him to you for a bag of hockey pucks. :woohoo:

Takeda

I am thinking about firing my economics minister and rewriting all my homeworld production orders from scratch. Things are getting increasingly complicated with the greater demand for improved and advanced goods over the old regular stuff.

Anyone have any experience with doing this? Suggestions or stories of doom and gloom?

Anyone want to hire my ex-economics minister? I'll trade him to you for a bag of hockey pucks. :cheers:

Takeda

I have no idea why your economics minister could have made such a major mistake. Do you use a spreadsheet to manage the production queue? If you don't, you should start.

I don't use a spreadsheet for minor tweaks but if I am making a major overhaul, I do. When I do that I avoid most errors and the ones I do make are fixed on the following turn. Makes life a whole lot easier.

You can find a good template in the Files section of the SN:ROTE site.

Oh and you can keep the hockey pucks.

ja' mata :woohoo:

I was making adjustments and adding stuff so it worked without the help of a spreadsheet, but things tend to get messy after a number of years. I am using a spreadsheet now. (Thanks Hobknob!) I want to clean up and simplify my production list as much as possible. The spreadsheet will help, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips concerning organization that they would be willing to share.

The bag of Mk I pucks is still on the table as well.

Takeda

I was making adjustments and adding stuff so it worked without the help of a spreadsheet, but things tend to get messy after a number of years. I am using a spreadsheet now. (Thanks Hobknob!) I want to clean up and simplify my production list as much as possible. The spreadsheet will help, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips concerning organization that they would be willing to share.

The bag of Mk I pucks is still on the atble as well.

Takeda

Let's see. Allocate a range of number for your resources at the start, then another for the intermediate products (eg Steel), then another for processed goods (eg Electronics) then finally a range for your finished goods. Make 99999999 iron as your last order with a really big number to soak up any excess IC.

I decided to make my own spreadsheet. It calculates my resource production, loads in my stockpile from the pdf, and warns me if I am going to run out of anything this turn. I can also put in proposed production and it will tell me everything I need to queue to make that item eg I can say I want to build 2 battleships a turn and it will tell me how many engines, electronics, steel, crystals etc I need to build based on my current resource production.

I generally set up my stuff so that 80% of production is pretty much fixed with the normal builds, weapons, engines, sytems etc.. and then leave the last 20% for spontaneous or limited need items. That way I always get my core builds done without messing up anything if I tool a one time build for 500 colony berths or fighter bays.

I also have a couple of clean up builds to use up extra industrial capacity.

Don't start your production with a really low number. I like 500 to start with. I also try and keep my production orders spread out by 10 or 20 to facilitate future needs.

:cheers::D

My Production Queue is somewhere between Lord Deependra and Hobknob. I have allocated certain ranges of Queue values for certain kinds of production, including specific "one-shot" production queues, so that things get taken care of on a per turn basis mostly automatically. I usually skip a minimum of 10 between Items (e.g. Q 1010, Q 1020, etc.). My Production only gets ugly when a piece of technology jumps a tier - from requiring Improved components to Advanced components, for example - and I have to edit the old Improved components down and add the Advanced components. This is usually where I transpose a number and screw up my production for a turn (or two).

:cheers:

I am also an adherent of the clean up build of a heavily used but lightly produced core element (e.g. Crystals, Iron, Light Metals).

:D

BI, 99999999, Iron, 1, 999999, Yes (for example)

FWIW -

-SK :cheers:

A lesson I learned from another player (MMB): At the end of my queue I set-up several builds to produce materials a planet is lacking in or other materials I will use in the future. For example, priority 900 might be building 300,000 Light Metals, and 905 might be 400,000 Petrochemicals, etcetera... This works to channel raw production into various other materials I will need in the future, acting like pseudo mines for those groups. It's nice to have the piles sitting there for when I really need them. The industry can then concentrate on building items (like Rail Guns or Force Shields) instead of spending the process converting Raw into "X". This also works well for setting aside some production to create materials for food concentrates and foodstuffs, so you can build troops when you actually need more.

Of course as your tech increases what you can channel goes up as well. Lastly, I do put in an order like priority 999 for 999,999,999 Iron or Lumber (depending on the planet), so any last bits of production are used up.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the final Iron 999999999 order since the beginning of the game too, but once Orbital Crystal Refineries were introduced that didn't work any more. Since they consume Raw Resources before the Stripmines run, that final order has to be more precise. Otherwise you have no Raw Resources for next turns run.

OCRs are more efficient, but they wind up costing more orders. Do you just find that OCRs aren't worth the trouble, or am I missing something?

OCRs are definitely worth it.

Problem is, they shoot out IMPROVED refined crystals. Once your tech level advances to a certain point the uses for improved refined crystals goes down and shifts to a need for advanced refined crystals.

Its a shame there isn't an upgraded version of OCR that churns out the advanced stuff. Or is there?

OCR's were a production lifesaver at one point. Now, we am considering decommissioning all of them in one order and redeploying the people and CMs. But there is a soft spot in our multiple hearts for those relics of resource constraint times. Or should we say, the early phase of these resource constrained times. Finally have plenty of crystals incoming from colonies, but never enough iron. More Deep Core Survey units please.

Agree that an upgrade for Advanced Refined Crystals would be very nice. So many generations to research, so many competing needs.....

Octus

I'd like to see some techs that improved efficiency of your stripmines, like industrial science does for industries as well as a tech tree that would heighten your research hits. Also if Pete could repair religion so that all those favors generated over the years actually meant something that would be nice. Seems very little new stuff is implemented in the game right now or at least Pete isn't talking about what his ambitions, if any, with the future development of SNROE would be...

:cheers:

/Locklyn