Rolling Thunder Forums

Population transmogrified

Breoghan

I'm not saying that I am thinking waaaaay too much about the game between turns, but I woke up this morning with a question already formed in my mind, about population.

Does the population of a captured homeworld, in its entirety, instantly (or otherwise) transmogrify into the captor's race - along with its stats and tolerances etc? In other words, can the captive population suddenly become liable to attrition from a now 'alien' world with possibly detrimental stats? Or is it only once converted to colonists or troops that this change takes place? Or am I completely wrong about the 'change' from one race to another (presumably to save on game administration processing/memory)?

Nope,

They're the race they originally were or they would suddenly have fantastic problems on the homeworld :holiday:

What does happen though is when you build colonists or troops from the captured races HW they are assimilated into your race, how this is done is ancient tech :holiday:

Cheers

/Locklyn

Phew!

Thank goodness for that!

I had visions of hundreds of thousands of population dying off because I would be unable to move them to an ecologically suitable world.

I've found that several races I've interacted with had worse colonzation bonuses then I did. So on captured colonies, I've taken to moving in a large colony transport / freighter. I dismantle everything, turn the POP to Colonists, and put in LC/OC orders to shift all the materials and POP to my colony base. I then on the same turn rebuild the industry and anything else. Net result is the colony is now MY population and racial type, and usually doing better growth wise (so less support buildings needed). I haven't done this on a HW as races on their HW's are handled specially by the computer for growth, pollution effects, etcetera. So there is no benefit to doing so on a HW. But it's always nice to limit the former enemy to just the HW and have everything else in my race. There's has always been rumors of possible political instability / revolt code in the game. Converting the POP removes or greatly reduces (I hope) such a chance if there are such rules in the code.

Let's see. 5000 colony berthing units at 200 AP will bring a captured HW population back to be assimilated in 12 turns.

:thumbsup:

D'you use Mega-Supernova powered engines or something? 5000 colony berthings; 200 AP? Or do you just dream in big numbers?

As a mere mortal I'm having difficulty just imagining the research that would have to be done to get that kind of go-juice (if its possible in the first place)!

Let's see. 5000 colony berthing units at 200 AP will bring a captured HW population back to be assimilated in 12 turns.

D'you use Mega-Supernova powered engines or something? 5000 colony berthings; 200 AP? Or do you just dream in big numbers?

As a mere mortal I'm having difficulty just imagining the research that would have to be done to get that kind of go-juice (if its possible in the first place)!

Actually it would only take about 40,000 engines to have them moving along at 200+ AP. All buildable in a turn or two. It is the fuel that is the killer. Assuming an average distance of 8 warps and an average group of WP's it will take about 120-130M tons of fuel each turn that this ship/fleet runs all of its AP out.

You can figure about 75M tons worth of transports for 5000 colony berths and some cargo, fuel tanks etc.

My specific circumstances would use 15% of mass in fuel each round trip.

As you can see that would take lots of fuel skimmers in high AP fleets.

As to how you get to that level of engine... Spend all available SRP's on engines, then place 4 RC's on engine tech. Wait for 5 years and you will be there.

:alien:

Actually it would only take about 40,000 engines to have them moving along at 200+ AP. All buildable in a turn or two. It is the fuel that is the killer. Assuming an average distance of 8 warps and an average group of WP's it will take about 120-130M tons of fuel each turn that this ship/fleet runs all of its AP out.

You can figure about 75M tons worth of transports for 5000 colony berths and some cargo, fuel tanks etc.

My specific circumstances would use 15% of mass in fuel each round trip.

As you can see that would take lots of fuel skimmers in high AP fleets.

As to how you get to that level of engine... Spend all available SRP's on engines, then place 4 RC's on engine tech. Wait for 5 years and you will be there.

:alien:

Oh, is that all.

Right then, that's what I'll do! I'll get right onto it.

Easy, innit!?

Well, if the colony is within 5 or 10 jumps, I'd just build a Stable Wormhole network and it won't cost any fuel at all. Then your high speed massive transports wouldn't need all that fuel. You'd just need the Caldaran Crystals for each wormhole jump is all.

Sakarissa :thumbsup:

The Circle

Ummm .. LC and OC seem to have no AP impact. So if you park a large colony ship of nothing but berthings above a planet (well, add one engine for fun), you can LC and OC into the the two POP centers on the same planet until the cow clones come home and the transformation is completed.

You can also do amazing things with a universal gate.

As in most casses the ideal solution depends on the problem, in some casses engines are the solution in others a wormhole gate works well, and there is always the other options that have been mentioned over the years, after all when your moving 50000 plus population who cares if a few percentage points don't make it. :cheers:

And for all of those empires out there starting to plan the movement of HW populations just rember if the other empires colony has sufficent population to make it worth sending in ground troups they can probably survive at that location already :ph34r: , unless your fleet accidently destoryed that colony ship with the latest batch of cannon fodder, if thats the case well they probably won't last long enough for you to get a colony ship there anyway. :alien:

Sir Smeg :thumbsup: