Rolling Thunder Forums

What Next

Guest Spongebob

Guest Spongebob

Ok peeps, serious question this.

As you all know I dont survive long in this game and if I do survive what I consider a long time I tend to run out of something be it coal, money, hvy or whatever.

How do the people who have player 40+ turns or for that matter to the end "NOT" run out of some vital component. Am I missing a trick - well obviously. Or is it just a case of conqure or die.

I feel like a Banker - yes i said BANKER who cannot balance the books.

Thanks

As you all know I dont survive long in this game and if I do survive what I consider a long time I tend to run out of something be it coal, money, hvy or whatever.

How do the people who have player 40+ turns or for that matter to the end "NOT" run out of some vital component. Am I missing a trick - well obviously. Or is it just a case of conqure or die.

Thanks

And it deserves a serious answer.

First, avoid small nations with limited resources; they tend to get really thinned out as the game progresses. You can, however, manage them quite well for the first parts of the game.

Medium & Large nations provide an unlimited opprotunity to expand your resource & tax base; but are hard to set up in the early stages because of the need to move POP & AIC's around.

In short, Logistics is a constant juggling act that requires you really pay attention to the details. ie: GEN are a constant need but they also require FOOD which means you need to manage ADL/APD to keep them running which means moving POP and balancing the IMDL as well. Expanding your army means you have to expand GEN as well [1 Mech39=2 GEN industries], and we won't even go into what a navy does to it.

Get the picture? The Devil's in the details!

That's why your neighbors resources are so attractive. Much easier to acquire his.

Of course, he may not co-operate in the aquisition! <_<

For example, you are playing Iceland in 83. You have NO Coal and NO Pet resources. You have AE in Reykajvik and Hekla. You should develop the AE there 90% chance of success and get the IMDL's there to 10. All your ARM (and SHIP) factories should be in those 2 provinces since those are the 2 most energy intensive industries. Save your PET for fuel, you'll need it.

2nd, identify where you can get replacement sources, either from a TA or conquering and go get it.

if I remember correctly, someone posted a good analysis on Icelandic strategy.

You must get on this plan very early. Iceland is a terrible country for a newbie (heck for anybody).

The same goes for any country, identify what you are going to be running out of, and find a way to supplement as much as possible.

Finally, you need to conquer other nations for the resources and the cash. Sitting still and not moving forward will only work for the first 5 turns or so.

<_<

For example, you are playing Iceland in 83. You have NO Coal and NO Pet resources. You have AE in Reykajvik and Hekla. You should develop the AE there 90% chance of success and get the IMDL's there to 10. All your ARM (and SHIP) factories should be in those 2 provinces since those are the 2 most energy intensive industries. Save your PET for fuel, you'll need it.

2nd, identify where you can get replacement sources, either from a TA or conquering and go get it.

You must get on this plan very early. Iceland is a terrible country for a newbie (heck for anybody).

The same goes for any country, identify what you are going to be running out of, and find a way to supplement as much as possible.

Finally, you need to conquer other nations for the resources and the cash. Sitting still and not moving forward will only work for the first 5 turns or so.

<_<

It is a pity that you run out of energy in Iceland 83. Maybe I have now to wait for your ships a little bit longer. Maybe you should ask your TA Great Britain for some COAL and a little bit of PET. In General this is an important strategy in the game, TAs have to help each other. If you are a TA for Germany you are never short in coal, if you are a TA of Saudi Arabia you are never short in PET. TAs are most important to solve the economic problem.

I hope you will find a supplier, I like to have some fun with your ships :thumbsup: .

The Monk

Guest Spongebob

<_<

It is a pity that you run out of energy in Iceland 83. Maybe I have now to wait for your ships a little bit longer. Maybe you should ask your TA Great Britain for some COAL and a little bit of PET. In General this is an important strategy in the game, TAs have to help each other. If you are a TA for Germany you are never short in coal, if you are a TA of Saudi Arabia you are never short in PET. TAs are most important to solve the economic problem.

I hope you will find a supplier, I like to have some fun with your ships :thumbsup: .

The Monk

Honesty here Monk - I have plenty of fuel, coal is running low being supplimented by TAs. Its my second attempt at Iceland and I am doing better. Plenty of cash and other stuff its just the coal sitiuation. Anyway I dont intend on destroying a nation from within. Rest assured Monk we will have some battle before I decide its no longer worth the cash.

If you could point me to the thread / post regarding Icelandic economics that would be helpful. I think after Denmark Iceland is my second favorite nation

If I remember correctly, someone posted a good analysis on Icelandic strategy.

Here is the link(s) to that analysis which in summary was Great britain must be Iceland's TA or Slave if Iceland is to survive.

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/index....ost&p=35300

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/index....ost&p=35307

My two cents worth

Maximize everything. Especially growth. ESPECIALLY GROWTH!!

Moving population to get the maximum number of 50 pop cities so that you are guaranteed population growth. If a city is a 99, move population, even if it is into a city that produces food. As the game winds down you can raise the imdls to increase cash at the end. Who cares if you aren't producing enough food on turn 74 to feed your country.

This must be balanced with moving long distances versus growth. It's worth France moving 5 population from Nancy to Marseilles on turn one. Once Marseilles is a 50 move population to make Etienne, Nimes, Nice and eventually Grenoble 50 pop cities. With Central it isn't worth an early move of population from Dnepr or Moscow 10+ provinces to Buinsk or Kystym. Later, yes from Yoshk and/or Ustinov but not Moscow or Dnepr.

Don't neglect food production for your aic. Sometimes the priority is to move population for food production over imdl/cash. Moving population for food production is much more cost efficient than apds. Be smart and move population into the province that will net you the most food. Sometime you have to apd, Jerus for Trans-Jordan, Setubal for Portugal, or Graz for Austria. For Saudi, move population to Medna. Medna is the only plains in Saudi and it starts with 0, yes ZERO population. It can be tied into Riyadh saving you from railing food. With Saudi you will be railing resources every turn anyway!

Don't forget that rpds don't cost any money unless successful. It only cost a line. Keep trying, even in the beginning. The odds aren't great so start early. You don't need the extra production of raw materials early, but later as your population grows, you will need the raw materials!!

Look at your aic nets. Very rarely are they set up to centralize production. Look at it from every angle. Sometimes the best set-up is not so obvious. As you conquer territory take another look. If Switzerland has France as a total ally, France would cede Switzerland Dijon or Macon or both because of food issues. Why not make Macon or Dijon as the aic 1? Resources are protected and every province is in one aic.

In the long run medium to large countries are better, but you have to get to the end. The Russias are hard to play because of all the logistics. The Russia are easier to defend because they are so large. You can give up a great amount of territory and still comeback for the win. Each country has it's advantages and disadvantages. Figure out what works best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Spongie,

Another thing to consider is the resource cost per industry (see chart below).

Early in the game, CP is your friend so you can build industries; later in the game, CP may not be that important and you can Scrap Industry (an order rarely used). After you have 5,000 (or whatever you are comfortable with) SHIP points, scrap the shipyard; it is a resource hog.

You can never have too much ARM and AIR, right? Wrong. When your ARM/AIR production exceeds your requirements, scrap them as well.

Concur, RPD every turn, generally for Light as most folks run out of Light in every country.

Another option is to deliberately short a resource area on one resource (H/L/P) if you don't need that production.

As for money control ... CHAB is expensive, Panzers are expensive, Boats are stupid expensive, enough LDB's are expensive, SIOL and SCOL are generally not worth the expense to keep them at 10 (if you have to choose, pick SCOL to try to keep the bad guys blind).

My overall strategy is as follows: deny resources to enemy (take provinces) destroy the enemies ability to resist (kill armies) then take cities so you can get the resources/taxes.

Bottom line, in my opinion, folks get in trouble with money and resources because they don't discipline themselves early to manage their buying to keep up with their resource production.

Granted, in some instances where you are on a major offensive move, it may be worth it to go into defecit spending, but it has to stop or your morale will take a big hit.

Factories

AIR:

CONSUMES: 1 HVY, 3 LGT, 1 ENERGY

PRODUCES: 10 AIR

COST: 10 CP, 2 POP

ARM:

CONSUMES: 30 HVY, 20 LGT, 10 ENERGY

PRODUCES: 25 AIR

COST: 100 CP, 6 POP

GEN:

CONSUMES: 2 HVY, 5 LGT, 2 ENERGY

PRODUCES: 50 GEN

COST: 10 CP, 4 POP

HVY:

CONSUMES: 7 HVY, 3 LGT, 2 ENERGY

PRODUCES: 10 CP

COST: 25 CP, 5 POP

MUN:

CONSUMES: 5 HVY, 5 LGT, 2 ENERGY

PRODUCES: 50 MUN

COST: 15 CP, 4 POP

FUEL:

CONSUMES: 0 HVY, 0 LGT, 10 PET + 2 ENERGY

PRODUCES: 50 FUEL

COST: 20 CP, 3 POP

SHIP:

CONSUMES: 64 HVY, 16 LGT, 16 ENERGY

PRODUCES: 200 SHIP

COST: 120 CP, 6 POP

King Zarkon

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Sponge,

Get your resources from your enemies! Develop your industry, manage it! Ask your TA's for resources. Have FUN!

Von Manstein

Spongie,

Early in the game, CP is your friend so you can build industries; later in the game, CP may not be that important and you can Scrap Industry (an order rarely used). After you have 5,000 (or whatever you are comfortable with) SHIP points, scrap the shipyard; it is a resource hog.

You can never have too much ARM and AIR, right? Wrong. When your ARM/AIR production exceeds your requirements, scrap them as well.

Concur, RPD every turn, generally for Light as most folks run out of Light in every country.

Another option is to deliberately short a resource area on one resource (H/L/P) if you don't need that production.

As for money control ... CHAB is expensive, Panzers are expensive, Boats are stupid expensive, enough LDB's are expensive, SIOL and SCOL are generally not worth the expense to keep them at 10 (if you have to choose, pick SCOL to try to keep the bad guys blind).

My overall strategy is as follows: deny resources to enemy (take provinces) destroy the enemies ability to resist (kill armies) then take cities so you can get the resources/taxes.

Bottom line, in my opinion, folks get in trouble with money and resources because they don't discipline themselves early to manage their buying to keep up with their resource production.

Granted, in some instances where you are on a major offensive move, it may be worth it to go into defecit spending, but it has to stop or your morale will take a big hit.

Factories

AIR:

ARM:

GEN:

HVY:

MUN:

FUEL:

SHIP:

King Zarkon

Dear King of what??

Question: with this strategy you did won a game yet? Not all mentioned will give you VICTORY, but you have to find out yourself. To me you loose track of the game system and mixed it up with the "real world system". Maybe we will meet each other in a future game, than we will see.

Greetings Rednas Ruler of Greater France VIC79.

Spongie,

Factories

AIR:

ARM:

GEN:

HVY:

MUN:

FUEL:

SHIP:

King Zarkon

Dear King of what??

Question: with this strategy you did won a game yet? Not all mentioned will give you VICTORY, but you have to find out yourself. To me you loose track of the game system and mixed it up with the "real world system". Maybe we will meet each other in a future game, than we will see.

It looks like good basic advice to me Rednas. I'm constantly surprised by the number of players who can't manage a budget.

If I were to add to what Zarkon said (he ain't my king, I never voted for him) I'd mention that energy and Lgt ore are most often the limiting resources. Petrolium is generally the limiting energy resource. This obviously varies by the nation in question since nations fall into different resource catagories.

Plan for your resource needs. Make a budget for resources just like you should be doing for revenue. Either capture or develop the resources you need (through RPD orders or thru trade) if your production won't meet your planned demands. Remember that RPD orders are fairly expensive and, depending on terrain and the targeted resource, aren't generally very high probability of success actions.

Boats are stupid expensive, but sometimes the expense is offset by their usefullness. Be sure you know how to play with your boats and that you really need boats before you spend the stupid expensive revenue to buy them.

On the other hand, this is a game, and perhaps you just enjoy playing with your boats. In that case, have at it, life is short and games should be fun.

Race Pilsner

Mr. Rednas,

Have I offended you in a previous life or are you just trying to pick a fight?

My first Victory game is VIC 80 and I am still alive and well.

As it is, Spongie was asking for opinions and advice; I gave him mine.

Feel free to use it or ignore it, but I think I posted a few logical ideas.

Zarkon (I omitted the King just for you as you seem to be easily offended)