Rolling Thunder Forums

Updated Exploration Order

KOTEC

Nice to have the enhancements to Exploration.

But due to lack of cargo holds the Knights missed out on a haul of Food Concentrates, Advanced Processed Radioactives and Advanced Refined Crystals and Improved Plantfood. Some of which might have come in hand at some stage.

Unlike me I am sure someone will have had foresight and fitted cargo holds to exploration ships – if so I would love to know what sort of quantity of goods they managed to find?

I agree the enhancements on the exploration orders are cool.

All my exploration vessels were fitted with 10,000 cargo bays and three of the fleets ran out of cargo bays space and some items were lost! :thumbsup:

Looks like I am going to have to send some cargo ships to increase the amount of cargo space.

Prior to the enhancements my exploration ships had about 4 or 5 "hits" were "much was learned about this or that technology". Following the enhancements our ships had 4 "finds" of resources or weaponry, but apparently learned nothing of advanced technology. Has Pete upped the finds percentage too much (at the expense of finding advanced tech, alien ships, etc) or was it that my ships just got lucky this time? :thumbsup:

I got a pretty even balance with my fleets and would rather find items anyway. I may never get the reserach to have some of the stuff found so finding it is good. I also like the random warp point survey's that pop up, although I have no idea where either end is.

As far as how much stuff was collected, I picked up about 13K in materials from one find. The biggest problem I have right now is not knowing how much space some of the stuff takes.

It also appears that my dedicated survey fleets with lots of ships had worse success than a lone pathfinder that has been out since turn 2 doing explores.

:thumbsup:

I guess those that thought exploration fleets were not worth the effort are going to be scrampling. I think everyone's next turn will be heavily influenced by the exploration find changes. I saw a nice mix of items and tech and will admit that i lost some stuff i could not hold. But we did have warnings that this was coming. Anyone have any ideas what to do with primative artwork? I bet they are rare. :thumbsup:

Nice to see that on the one year anniversary of snroe that Exploration finally works as it was intended from the beginning and that one can now find those items one has been searching 24 turns for :thumbsup:

Interesting twitch with EXPLs allowing you to have randomly SURVed Warp Points as well, might get people nervous in the long haul but nice twist Pete!

Does one get a message when an world is all EXPLored out and there are no more things to find?

Cheers

/Locklyn

Eldred,

The warp point surveys are of use if you ever come across that warp point. It will already be surveyed and you can just warp right on through.

Locklyn,

I could be wrong about this but I don't think that a world will ever, ever, ever run out of EXPL finds. This combined with the fact that Pete is allowing the EXPL to be a standing order and that the initial success rates were way too high (and I think still are) for beginning tech, is why he had to put a cap on EXPL results (which I hope is still in place).

nomedrellik wrote:

Anyone have any ideas what to do with primative artwork? I bet they are rare.

Just happened to do an RTD this turn...

Primitive Artwork : Cave drawings, simple sculptures, crude painting, handmade jewellery and other basic art forms are examples of Primitive Artwork.  They can be rare and beautiful if preserved properly, and are often as valuable as more modern luxury goods.  (1 ton) 3 Gaseous Elements

Still non the wise. Maybe break them down for the Gaseous Elements? Why would they be made of Gaseous Elements - early spray paintings? Suppose they could be a good bribe for other NPC's or they might have some population stabilising effect in the right installation. All guesses I am afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

This turn one of my fleets found a quantity of "powers" and were subsequently unable to pick them up as we had no cargo space left. I presume we found the ANZ item "Power" - in which case surely we would require a rather large capacitor or other electronic storage device to hold it. Perhaps the program randomly picks a "discovery" from the items list, in which case how long until someone discovers some "population" and tries to load it into their cargo bay? :P

On a side note another exploration fleet discovered a quantity of Heavy Drones, but as our explorer ships don't possess a Drone Rack (or a Fighter Bay for that matter!) we were unable to load them. :D I'm sure I read somewhere on this board that Pete was looking at being able to crate this stuff and put it in the cargo bay. This has got to be the way forward as expecting exploration ships to lug drone racks and fighter bays about on the off chance of finding a drone or a fighter is crazy. The sooner we can crate the better!

For those who missed it - Pete said in an earlier post that a good number of cargo holds to put in an explorer ship would be 25,000 (in order to ensure no finds were missed...) Since then, I've been building them to that size and I've tried to limit my EXPL orders to the ships equipped as such. Just an FYI...

:P