Rolling Thunder Forums

> 2 billion ton ships

RTGPete

I just ran some tests and found an issue where a >2 billion ton ship might not be able to make it into your shipyards under certain circumstances. If you issued a SHIP order for such a ship, but the ship didn't appear in your yards, send me an email and I can check it out and fix that for you.

Eeeek! I just knew it, I should have ordered those American Extra-Wide Comfy Shipyard Slips!!

:)

:cheers:

/Locklyn

• 2 weeks later...
Pete did not mention, 2 billion plus ships are only possible over multiple turns, as no matter how many shipyards you have they will only build 2 billion tons a turn.

Good to know AFTER we were told it was working fine

Well? Are you going to impress us with the size for this awesome ship that is going to take lots of turns to complete.

If you need to crank out a 4b ton ship, it will indeed take two turns. If you can produce 10b tons of ships and your Imperial Navy is not happy with five "tiny" 2b ton ships produced out of five different shipyards in a single turn, well, I guess they're going to be unhappy.

I'm not really clear on the rationale behind imposing a limit on the tonnage built per turn at a single pop group. It seems to me that if a person has the appropriate number of pops to allocate to shipyards and to power plants, then why not allow them to utilize their pops to that end? It's not as though the same pops could be devoted to any other activity, so while they would have an advantage to shipbuilding output, their industrial/mining output would drop off in exchange.

Or is there a technical reason for these limits being imposed?

Thanks.

I'm not really clear on the rationale behind imposing a limit on the tonnage built per turn at a single pop group. It seems to me that if a person has the appropriate number of pops to allocate to shipyards and to power plants, then why not allow them to utilize their pops to that end? It's not as though the same pops could be devoted to any other activity, so while they would have an advantage to shipbuilding output, their industrial/mining output would drop off in exchange.

Or is there a technical reason for these limits being imposed?

Thanks.

These will be simply computational limits by the database/visual basic.

But think as them so huge, that the static of the construction needs it to be build in parts and then sewn together afterwards. Just like the later U-Boats of WW2. ;)

So, there is a technical reason (within the program) that prevents going larger than 2 billion?

Couldn't something be written such that the output of several pop groups could be 'added' together? Say have 2 pop groups building 2 billion ton segments, then have a 3rd pop group that can 'sew together' the components into one 4 billion ton ship? Is that something that could be implemented?

So, there is a technical reason (within the program) that prevents going larger than 2 billion?

Couldn't something be written such that the output of several pop groups could be 'added' together? Say have 2 pop groups building 2 billion ton segments, then have a 3rd pop group that can 'sew together' the components into one 4 billion ton ship? Is that something that could be implemented?

maximum for 32-bit integer is 2.147.483.648

unsigned it is 4.294.967.296

Above these values it is quite an effort to work with the numbers on a 32-bit system, which I think is Visual Basic and Access on Pete's system, and hardly worth it.

So bear with it, e.g. at this size the hulls will simply collapse on themselves, even if they are pure Tckon 68 ;).

Above these values it is quite an effort to work with the numbers on a 32-bit system, which I think is Visual Basic and Access on Pete's system, and hardly worth it.

So bear with it, e.g. at this size the hulls will simply collapse on themselves, even if they are pure Tckon 68 ;).

I do understand the limitations based off a 32 bit system... makes perfect sense.

But of course I have to ask, how is it possible to have ships that exceed the 2 bilion ton limit? Somehow that issue has been resolved. Couldn't that solution be applied in this case?

I'm just trying to understand is all.

So bear with it, e.g. at this size the hulls will simply collapse on themselves, even if they are pure Tckon 68 ;) .

I do understand the limitations based off a 32 bit system... makes perfect sense.

But of course I have to ask, how is it possible to have ships that exceed the 2 bilion ton limit? Somehow that issue has been resolved. Couldn't that solution be applied in this case?

I'm just trying to understand is all.

e.g. shipyard production uses a shared subroutine, that is signed, while the ship tonnage could be mad unsigned without much interference to other things. Just guessing here.

Ok, that does make sense. In one case, it's changing a variable for display purposes but in the other it's modifying a subroutine which could have unintended consequences elsewhere.... bummer. I'd really like to build a 100 billitonner but waiting 50 turns to complete it isn't reasonable....

Well build a 10 billitonner with 45 2-billiton screens ;)

Ok, that does make sense. In one case, it's changing a variable for display purposes but in the other it's modifying a subroutine which could have unintended consequences elsewhere.... bummer. I'd really like to build a 100 billitonner but waiting 50 turns to complete it isn't reasonable....

Well build a 10 billitonner with 45 2-billiton screens ;)

True, but what fun is a fleet of 2 billitonners led by a 10 billitonner??? Now a nice 100 billitonner.... now that's fun!!! Fun for those who run it, fun for those that oppose it.