Rolling Thunder Forums

Graphviz help

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set nodes on the graphviz dotty style graph so that they are a filled in color. I have read the manuals included and can't seem to figure it out. I am trying to set the nodes so that they are solid blue , or red instead of being just a black circle with white inside.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set nodes on the graphviz dotty style graph so that they are a filled in color. I have read the manuals included and can't seem to figure it out. I am trying to set the nodes so that they are solid blue , or red instead of being just a black circle with white inside.

A12345 [ label="A12345", font="Arial", fontsize=4, fontcolor="black", fillcolor="yellow", style="filled", shape="circle", height=2, width=2];

This will do a yellow filled circle.

Other shapes are available as well.

How difficult is Graphviz to use for the non-geeks?

Together with SNFindPath rather easy.

1) You need to be able to install a program

2) You need to be able to execute a program in the Commandline.

3) being able to edit a textfile might help as well.

Thanks cestvel. What I am looking for is a way to change an already created graph ( made one using SNFindpath) so that I can color code certain systems. Is there a way to edit an already created graph map to do that?

For example if I wanted to mark warp nexus systems red, alien controlled systems as blue, my own as green. That kind of thing.

Thanks cestvel. What I am looking for is a way to change an already created graph ( made one using SNFindpath) so that I can color code certain systems. Is there a way to edit an already created graph map to do that?

For example if I wanted to mark warp nexus systems red, alien controlled systems as blue, my own as green. That kind of thing.

Currently not, sorry.

What you can do is define nodes (systems by name) and add them before the actual edge data (the lines with -> in them).

You will have to cut and paste this in every time for now. But this would give you the color codings you are looking for.

Use the syntax I posted. That one would define a node named A12345 (which would be an unexplored WP).

And

4) Don't survey too many systems or it will run out of memory when trying to build the map :(

One of empires works but the other has a map file 3K larger and neato gives me an out of memory error. I have to manually remove some systems to make it work.

And

4) Don't survey too many systems or it will run out of memory when trying to build the map :(

One of empires works but the other has a map file 3K larger and neato gives me an out of memory error. I have to manually remove some systems to make it work.

How big is your text file for Graphviz?

I use dot, not neato for maps. I also do not generate my text file with SNFindPath (an altogether excellent program) and my file is 16K.

And

That depends mostly on the output format. Use SVG, which can be displayed by most browsers just fine.

It is a vector format, so way smaller than any bitmap thingy.

And as Ali said, neato uses more mem as dot does.

And

I use dot, not neato for maps. I also do not generate my text file with SNFindPath (an altogether excellent program) and my file is 16K.

I also do not use SNFindPath to generate my maps :(

I do it with scripts from my database, as there is more info in it than in the mdbs :joker:

But SNFindPath can show you a bit how to do the syntax and the commandline for dot or neato.

And

I also do not use SNFindPath to generate my maps :(

I do it with scripts from my database, as there is more info in it than in the mdbs :joker:

But SNFindPath can show you a bit how to do the syntax and the commandline for dot or neato.

Thanks everyone. Dot is working a lot better.

I rarely have the program hang and I have quite few systems in the map. My larger maps do take a bit of time to render but once done they work fine. Can't beat the search function either. !!

:drunk:

Search function? Which output do you generate?

Well, I use NEATO. Being able to search for system names very quickly is the real reason to use it in the first place. If you can't search then you might as well be using and Excel spreadsheet, like what I have been using for 5 years now. One of the limitations to Excel is that you can run out of space. One of the problems with graphviz is that it can make things so small that you can't see more than a single node on screen at a time and still be able to read the name. With fewer systems this is not a problem, but with loads of systems it is a bit of a problem.

<_<