Rolling Thunder Forums

New Weapons Tech

Lord Deependra

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new Stellar Converter is nice. You need it for ring worlds.

If you know, and without asking you to divulge any secrets, I was wondering if you could give a hint as to what a Ringworld does for you. In real life, a Ringworld would give living room (which we don't need in Supernova) and allow you to capture more of the sun's energy. Does it generate power or allow the construction of better solar power stations?

You destroy all the planets in a system, and build a ringworld, which combines the components of all the destroyed worlds into one world.

So far, that doesn't sound like a big plus, and I can think of a few negatives. But I'm sure there is a good in-game reason, other than the simple fact that its cool :thumbsup:

That does seem nifty. One of my empires has actually researched Ringworld and Dyson Sphere. However, the INSTs for them both has eluded me. One question in regards to Ringworld construction: If done in a system with population and buildings (IE a colony and/or HW), do they get transferred or destroyed?

Sakarissa :thumbsup:

The Circle

That does seem nifty. One of my empires has actually researched Ringworld and Dyson Sphere. However, the INSTs for them both has eluded me. One question in regards to Ringworld construction: If done in a system with population and buildings (IE a colony and/or HW), do they get transferred or destroyed?

The Circle

The ANZ for the MDD needed to destroy a planet states, that it does not work on populated planets. So you need to remove the pop beforehand. Only Asteroid Fields can be merged to a Ringworld or Dyson Sphere. So one wonders if one would loose some of the useful resources only available on planets with atmosphere.

The Circle

The ANZ for the MDD needed to destroy a planet states, that it does not work on populated planets. So you need to remove the pop beforehand. Only Asteroid Fields can be merged to a Ringworld or Dyson Sphere. So one wonders if one would loose some of the useful resources only available on planets with atmosphere.

So, you Gate out the population, lift off the gate crew with a colony ship, bomb all the planets into asteroids, assemble them into a Ringworld or Dyson Sphere, rebuild the gate and Gate the population back in. Now you have one "planet" with the combined resources of the former planets, assuming that destroying a planet doesn't wipe out the grain and meat.

I can see a couple of downsides:-

Losing Gas Giants for skimming

Making the world a target (an enemy scout just needs to System Scan to find your population)

I wonder what a Dyson Sphere does.