Rolling Thunder Forums

New Weapons Tech

Lord Deependra

I did some research on Dyson spheres a few months ago. It is mainly used to capture as much of the solar energy of a star as possible. I figured it would provide limitless power to every pop group in the system with a Dyson Sphere. Since I haven't found the INST I can't say for certain what the in-game effect(s) would be.

Sakarissa :thumbsup:

The Circle

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A ring world is a ribbon of material filling an orbit of the sun, like a solid asteroid field, but man made. People live on the side of the ribbon facing the sun.

Dyson sphere is a spherical ring world. So the entire sun and planets if there are any, are encased in the sphere, so from outside, you can not see the sun, and inside the suns energy does not escape into deep space.

I am guessing that neither installation is in the game yet, and that is why no one has seen installations.

A ring world is a ribbon of material filling an orbit of the sun, like a solid asteroid field, but man made. People live on the side of the ribbon facing the sun.

Dyson sphere is a spherical ring world. So the entire sun and planets if there are any, are encased in the sphere, so from outside, you can not see the sun, and inside the suns energy does not escape into deep space.

I am guessing that neither installation is in the game yet, and that is why no one has seen installations.

The blurb on Dyson Sphere Construction states:

----------------------

A Ringworld is a ribbon of metal that stretches around an entire star, completely filling in an orbital position. A Dyson Sphere, on the other hand, is a complete sphere entirely enclosing a star. This represents a monumentally more complex engineering project than a mere Ringworld, which in itself is an almost unthinkably difficult project. Such a construct is naturally extremely unstable, requiring sophisticated gravitonic stabilizers to prevent itself from being pulled into the primary. An alternate and much safer form has been postulated to be a series of long metal strips bound together by powerful magnetic or gravitonic fields. The idea is to contain as much of the stellar flux as possible before it escapes into open space. To actually build such a thing would require that many planets be crushed in their entirety, smelted into refined metals, transported to the selected star system and then reconstructed into the desired form. Needless to say, this would require an incredible array of technologies, not the least of which is simply transporting the needed materials to begin with. In all probability such a project is nothing more than a fanciful impossibility. Should some way of smelting entire worlds down into their components parts be found, and a method of transporting said material between star systems on a planetary scale be discovered, planetary engineers are confident that they could begin work on an actual Dyson Sphere. They admit that without an outstanding array of various engineering horizon technologies there is an excellent chance of failure, but they're willing to try.

-----------------------------

So...

Just like in real life, the planets of one star system would likely NOT be enough to build a sphere. The wiki site on this has some calculations that indicate all the materials in our system would build a sphere only 10 centimeters thick (walk softly on the surface!). Of course, this coulb be overcome by building in closer to the star. Building a sphere around a dim star at say 0.1 AU would reduce the surface area by 1000 and means you could something quite thick with only one star systems planets. One possible solution to a resource issue would be to develop some type of total conversion technology, where you can convert matter to energy and back to matter (at some cost of course). With that, you could in theory convert the mass of an entire Star into the material you need. Just think, we go to Alpha Centuari 4+ light years away, use the power from Centauri B to run the devices than convert Centauri A into materials which are then transported (warped?) to the Earth system .. allowing a nice thick sphere to be constructed.

The blurb on Dyson Sphere Construction states:

----------------------

A Ringworld is a ribbon of metal that stretches around an entire star, completely filling in an orbital position. A Dyson Sphere, on the other hand, is a complete sphere entirely enclosing a star. This represents a monumentally more complex engineering project than a mere Ringworld, which in itself is an almost unthinkably difficult project. Such a construct is naturally extremely unstable, requiring sophisticated gravitonic stabilizers to prevent itself from being pulled into the primary. An alternate and much safer form has been postulated to be a series of long metal strips bound together by powerful magnetic or gravitonic fields. The idea is to contain as much of the stellar flux as possible before it escapes into open space. To actually build such a thing would require that many planets be crushed in their entirety, smelted into refined metals, transported to the selected star system and then reconstructed into the desired form. Needless to say, this would require an incredible array of technologies, not the least of which is simply transporting the needed materials to begin with. In all probability such a project is nothing more than a fanciful impossibility. Should some way of smelting entire worlds down into their components parts be found, and a method of transporting said material between star systems on a planetary scale be discovered, planetary engineers are confident that they could begin work on an actual Dyson Sphere. They admit that without an outstanding array of various engineering horizon technologies there is an excellent chance of failure, but they're willing to try.

-----------------------------

So...

Just like in real life, the planets of one star system would likely NOT be enough to build a sphere. The wiki site on this has some calculations that indicate all the materials in our system would build a sphere only 10 centimeters thick (walk softly on the surface!). Of course, this coulb be overcome by building in closer to the star. Building a sphere around a dim star at say 0.1 AU would reduce the surface area by 1000 and means you could something quite thick with only one star systems planets. One possible solution to a resource issue would be to develop some type of total conversion technology, where you can convert matter to energy and back to matter (at some cost of course). With that, you could in theory convert the mass of an entire Star into the material you need. Just think, we go to Alpha Centuari 4+ light years away, use the power from Centauri B to run the devices than convert Centauri A into materials which are then transported (warped?) to the Earth system .. allowing a nice thick sphere to be constructed.

And here was me thinking it was just a new model of Vacuum Cleaner :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Are these actual technologies in the game? Is there any reason to think so.. or is it just player speculation.

I need this info to gauge how excited I should be about this post. :cheers:

I have researched both, ringworld and Dyson sphere, but it appears the installations are not in the game. I also have completed every horizon tech, and every gravity weapon, and sensor, ect. still nothing. :ranting: I am now working on completing every weapon and anything that anyone thinks might be needed. Suggestions? :blink:

Well, I am pursuing those INSTs as well. An ally got an EXPL hit on a "stabilizer" tech that I believe maybe one of the prereqs to opening the INSTs for Ringworld and Dyson Sphere. I'm working on some pet theories as to the prereqs for the stabilizer. If things pan out I should open that tech up fairly soon. I'll keep you posted.

Sakarissa :cheers:

The Circle

Well, I am pursuing those INSTs as well. An ally got an EXPL hit on a "stabilizer" tech that I believe maybe one of the prereqs to opening the INSTs for Ringworld and Dyson Sphere. I'm working on some pet theories as to the prereqs for the stabilizer. If things pan out I should open that tech up fairly soon. I'll keep you posted.

Sakarissa :cheers:

The Circle

I would guess you are referring to the defensive techs that stabilize energy and matter. Could be. But a friend said Pete hinted, that they (ringworlds) were not in the game.

I think Pete could clear this up, I do not think it would be revealing the secrets of how the game works, to tell us if the installation is in the game.

I also saw a cooler bomb, and wonder what is so cool about it.

Sakarissa :ranting:

The Circle

I would guess you are referring to the defensive techs that stabilize energy and matter. Could be. But a fiend said Pete hinted, that they were not in the game.

I think Pete could clear this up, I do not think it would be revealing the secrets of how the game works, to tell up if the installation if in the game.

No wonder you are launching so many invasions. You are being advised by a fiend! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Sakarissa :)

The Circle

I would guess you are referring to the defensive techs that stabilize energy and matter. Could be. But a fiend said Pete hinted, that they were not in the game.

I think Pete could clear this up, I do not think it would be revealing the secrets of how the game works, to tell up if the installation if in the game.

No wonder you are launching so many invasions. You are being advised by a fiend! :)

Seems new techs are starting to get added. a new just opened up this turn. looks very interesting.

Sakarissa :)

The Circle

No wonder you are launching so many invasions. You are being advised by a fiend! :)

Seems new techs are starting to get added. a new just opened up this turn. looks very interesting.

Indeed. I think a few ANZ orders will be put through this turn.

• 1 year later...
That does seem nifty. One of my empires has actually researched Ringworld and Dyson Sphere. However, the INSTs for them both has eluded me. One question in regards to Ringworld construction: If done in a system with population and buildings (IE a colony and/or HW), do they get transferred or destroyed?

Sakarissa :rolleyes:

The Circle

The ANZ for the MDD needed to destroy a planet states, that it does not work on populated planets. So you need to remove the pop beforehand. Only Asteroid Fields can be merged to a Ringworld or Dyson Sphere. So one wonders if one would loose some of the useful resources only available on planets with atmosphere.

So, you Gate out the population, lift off the gate crew with a colony ship, bomb all the planets into asteroids, assemble them into a Ringworld or Dyson Sphere, rebuild the gate and Gate the population back in. Now you have one "planet" with the combined resources of the former planets, assuming that destroying a planet doesn't wipe out the grain and meat.

I can see a couple of downsides:-

Losing Gas Giants for skimming

Making the world a target (an enemy scout just needs to System Scan to find your population)

I wonder what a Dyson Sphere does.

not unless you have planetary cloaking shields with sufficiently high level of cloaking device. This would force your buddy to develop anti-cloaking sensor tech. The really kewl thing about this is that I would suspect that the system would appear as a warp nexus if the ringworld was able to shield itself from prying eyes. ;)