Rolling Thunder Forums

Damaged Alien Installations

Cargus10

I've swayed a neutral to my cause, and have found a number of very interesting installations, though all are "demolished or "destroyed" or gnerally not in good working order. Is there arnything I can usefully do with said installations? Break them down for CM, ICM, ACM, etc.? Dismantle them for technology secrets? Repair them, maybe and figure out how to run them?

You can do INST orders to learn about them. But as the INST order tells you no prerequisites, all it does is merely wet your appetite for more information. You can't repair them or use them as there is no order in the game to do so (yet .. it is on RTG's wish list of improvements to the game).

I recommend using them for flower pots. Great big, pretty, flower pots.

I think we should promote this to RTG soonest as it will also push exploration more. Either a choice of being able to repair them or to be allowed to dissamble and scavenge some of the materials ie 10-20% or such. What do you say pete?

:o

/Locklyn

Actually, you can't even INST them. Not unless you can build them. I tried and it failed. I asked Pete. He said, because I can't build it. He hinted that we I might be able to repair it, but he hasn't gotten to that portion of the orders yet.

Has to make you chuckle when he puts the repair code in and you can't INST it.

Lieutenant: Sir, The new Cloning facility is on line. It's making 6000 new gremloids every turn.

Commander: "Ah....Can we build more?"

LT: No sir. We have no idea how it works. It just spits gremloids out"

Commander: " Is it on the power grid? Does it take resources...?"

LT: "No idea Sir. We have no idea how to turn it off either. We're getting gremloid infestations."

• 2 weeks later...
You can do INST orders to learn about them.  But as the INST order tells you no prerequisites, all it does is merely wet your appetite for more information.......

Actually, you can't even INST them. Not unless you can build them. I tried and it failed. I asked Pete. He said, because I can't build it. He hinted that we I might be able to repair it, but he hasn't gotten to that portion of the orders yet.

So what gives??? Can we INST damaged installations in neutral PCs or not? Looks like Pete says "no" but WKE has actually done it.

WKE, have you been able to INST these installations? If so, how?

I could swear I read in an earlier thread / post a long time ago that you could INST any installations. This was following the same rules where if you have any science buildings and have some located item (like Phased Energy Grips) you can analyze them. Of course given how the INST order works (I believe it needs a bit of work with my primary suggestion for improving being listing the requirements for the installation), I guess it's possible.

I had a mail from Pete some time ago replying to one of my inquires and he mentioned he was improving INST to include a requirements listing plus having it auto generate (like an analyze) when you discover something. I passed that on to others four turns ago. And while many nice changes have occurred in the game since then, this little one is still missing (darn it all -- IMHO ANZ and INST should generally work the same, it feels wrong to have them different).

If I could just get that dang neutral to join me, I'd love to confirm this. I may have been working under the wrong belief for some time (or maybe this worked early in the game and Pete closed as a loophole? So many changes, to much to remember).

*confused gremloid smile*

Yes, I have a note from Pete on just that subject that you were supposed to be able to INST alien installations if you had a science building in that colony...what gives?

Locklyn