Rolling Thunder Forums

Weapons Research?

Tokmok

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FTWD build cost is now corrected - same input tonnage as the NTWD, but the needed items are different

Lord Xaar

Would you mind posting the results you got. I'd rather not dismantle the ship I placed my (lucky find) FTWD on just so I can analyze it and get the correct results. :lol:

Sure, 'tis the season, I guess... The rest of you feel free to share too. :ranting:

25 Mk I Fusion Jump Drive

250 Mk II Force Shield

25,000 Advanced Fuel

25,000 Improved Electronics

25,000 Improved Synthetic Materials

It's loads of fun to re-work production queues to build these suckers...

Lord Xaar

Hello

How many different weapon types are you guys researching?

Are Magnetic grapples/ light tractor beams also weapons?

It seems really difficult to have RC´s for more than 3 weapons

Do I just have to take my chances with what I like best or is production cost somthing to consider?

And

What´s the difference between NTWD´s and FTWD´s beside the costs??

thanks

Tokmok

ALL!

Nah, not really, the thing is to concentrate your weapon research along 3-4 areas of damage. Preferably have one you put a bit extra effort into and the others that so to speak slouch along. Make sure that not all can be countered by the same defense, like missiles, fighters, drones etc...

Yup those are weapons and quite useful for towing OWPs to WPs as well...also they can have their usefullnes in ...special...situations...

Note though that Mag Grapples...sort of max out after Heavy Mag grapples...sort of...I would reccomend the Light Tractor beam from the beginning and as it opens up other nice techs down the line as well...

Yes, we all need to have more RCs...but we'll never get it so balance wisely :blink:

Cheers

/Locklyn

Hello

How many different weapon types are you guys researching?

Are Magnetic grapples/ light tractor beams also weapons?

It seems really difficult to have RC´s for more than 3 weapons

Do I just have to take my chances with what I like best or is production cost somthing to consider?

And

What´s the difference between NTWD´s and FTWD´s beside the costs??

thanks

Tokmok

I am researching 3 with my first race and 2 with my second. I prefer two, because in the long run you can devote more RC's to each. I'd rather have 2 weapons at a higher tier than 3 or 4 at a lower tier. The reason you want multiple weapon types is in case your enemy is well stacked with specialized defenses against a particular weapon. To some extent, this may be solved by picking weapon types that are off the beaten path. For example, there are a couple weapon types where you have to actually have the weapon tech itself to get the defensive system.

Light tractors beams and magnetic grapples are indeed weapons of the gravitonic variety. My guess is that they could be weaker than the other weapons of an equivalent generation because they have a non-combat use. But I could be entirely wrong.

AFAIK, the only difference between NTWD and FTWD is the jump output (warp bubble). Again, I could be wrong.

- Woolfe

Ok here is that ANZ I promised for Type A Plasma Tropedo.

ANZ: Type A Plasma Tropedo: Plasma torpedo launchers discharge a glob of plasma encased in a magnetic field. The field is streached to encompass the plasma ball, whih is launched at a short range toward the target. On a successful hit the superheated plasma ball contacts the enemy vessel in an attempt to overwhelm its hull and any externally mounted devices with a maelstrom of burning plasma. Misses do no damage, while hits are most impressive. Range is quite poor as the energy requied to maintain the magnetic containment bottle is extremely high and tends to break down under the impresssive heat. A plasma torpedo is a gigantic wepon that dishes out fantastic damage on a hit. it take awhile to charge up the launcher, but its worth it... (10,000 tons) :ph34r: 10,000 Improved steal- 10,000 Improved Synthetic Materials- 10,000 Precious metals- 10,000 Improved Processed Radioactives- 10,000 Rare ELements

Classification: Wepon

Prerequiste Technologies: (yeah right) :lol:

Plasma Tropedo Srength: Good

If anyone is interested I got this ANZ via Breakthrough :cheers:

I have made 5 turns of 1 RC on Magnetic Grapples

Would you advice me to change to Light tractor beams and with that lose the 5 turns forever or should I continue to the end of the path???

What kinds of research needs tech like Light tractor beams and onward ??

thanks Tokmok

If you switch to something else you won't lose the research already completed on the grapples. Also, when exploring you could find research points towards some unknown tech which will be stored to reduce the cost if and when you actually do research that tech. You shouldn't feel "locked in" to your first choices.

That was two opposite answers you gave me

My real question was does these Tug techs seem to be a prerequisite for other types of tech branches or is it to early to tell.

For me the most important thing so far is for Tug ships to transport Orbital Defence stations to Warp points and perhaps even taking them with in a battle fleet

But is it reallistic Tug-power wise to Tug a 10. mill ton Station I mean the amout of Tugs needs to be huge at predent level of tech

tokmok