Rolling Thunder Forums

Weapons Research?

Tokmok

Don't be afraid to throw a deweeder at me if I sound off-base here but.......

Why not just throw 1 nuclear engine on your massive 'orbital' and design it as a 'starship' instead? Why tug?

I admit I haven't put an ounce of thought into tugging my own ships around. But it seems the cost of 1 engine <<<<<<< a bunch of grapples.

I already know that I'm missing something here :rolleyes: Let her rip :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How many medium magnetic grapples are needed for pulling a 1000000 ton ship?

Is it enough with just ONE?

Are the different strenght ratings for tugs more for if you use the tech as a weapon and not anything to do with their pulling power??

Merry Christmas

Tokmok

I know a Light Mag Grapnel can only pull 1000 tons. I didn't bother researching the medium because trac beams are a superrior technology.

How do you know that?

When I did an ANZ on one all I was told was:

Light Magnetic Grapple: Magnetic Grapples are short-ranged "hooks" created ethereally by a magnetic field. The

idea is to attach the grapple to something with a ferrous composition and depending on

the field polarity, push or pull the object. This effect can be useful as an effective

weapon as accuracy is extremely high, and occasionally has other uses in general space

exploration. (200 tons) 400 Electronics - 200 Rare Elements - 200 Steel - 200 Synthetic

Materials

Classification: Tug

Gravitonic Strength: Poor

I was disappointed to see nothing about how much it would pull, so if there is some other way to find out, I'd love to know!

you have to build one. I did the calculations once but can't find it.

I think light grapple (poor) = 5

Medium Grapple (fair) = 10

Heavy grapple (adequate) = 20

that's the actual tow rating per ton of weight. The bigger the grapple the more tonnage. So a light grapple tows 1000 (200 tons x 5). A medium grapple tows (700 tons x 10) or 7000 tons. A Heavy grapple tows 3500 tons x 20 or 70,000 tons per grapple.

Light tractor beams are equivalent to Medium Grapples but weigh less.

Hope that helps.

To find out how much it can tow, you have to build a ship with the grapples or tractor beams. After the ship is built, look at the ship listing in the ** Imperial Navy Report: Fleet Summary **. It will list the towing capacity of that particular ship. Just designing the ship won't do. You have to actually build it.

not sure...Maybe you coulf put a NTWD on it? Although engines and drives are all in the same catagory so I bet it would not be classified as an Orbital....

I checked my turn and all my orbitals come back as Satellite. The Bastion comes back as Fortress and ground installations as Outpost.

This would be a good Pete question....

Pete...Pete...Pete....