Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonizing strategies?

Tokmok

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with Hobnob. The Eyre could not colonize their homeworld if they tried :alien2:

I have spent the last 9 turns amassing a huge amount of resources to build a Behemoth Class Carrier. 20M Crystal. And that is just Crystal. It would have been nice to have a 900 Crystal world to pump in 2M a turn.

Oh well...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

How do I get to some new powerplants???

My problem is that my colonies even in the long run cant use all the 10000 power

from a Fissionplant and they dont have Hydro/Geo Potential.

I have a considerable amout of Coloniseable worlds in my home-system is it really worth it to spend my SRP´s on Industial science, etc or would I be better of spending them on weapons and material techs???

thanks

Happy New-year

Tokmok

Tokmok,

There is always the dreaded Coal Fired Power Plant, which gives you 10 Power for 3 Coal. What I have not seen is a mid-ranged Power Plant that fills the niche between the Coal Fired Power Plants and the Hydroelectric/Geothermal Power Plants (which produce 1000+ Power).

If you can mine Coal on your Colony, its good. If you can't its not so bad as your freighters can carry Coal to your Colony along with Construction Materials or whatever.

FWIW,

-SK :beer:

Hello Tokmok,

You can build a Hydro/Geo Power Plant on any world, and it will produce power even if the world has no Hydro or Geo potential. Such a power plant costs 250,000 CMs. If the world has no Hydro/Geo Potential, then the power plant will produce 1,000 Power. If the world has Hydro Potential (for Hydro Power Plant) or has Geo Potential (for Geo Power Plant), then the power output is increased by 200 x Potential.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Woody Eckerslike,

Yorkshire,

England

Further clarification:

(Hydro or GeoTherm yield * 20) + 1000 = total power produced per plant of that type.

There is no diminishing returns on Hydro or GeoTherm power generation. I actually found a world with a high enough Hydro potential to generate 11,440 power per plant. :blink:

Sakarissa :beer:

Further clarification:

(Hydro or GeoTherm yield * 20) + 1000 = total power produced per plant of that type.

There is no diminishing returns on Hydro or GeoTherm power generation. I actually found a world with a high enough Hydro potential to generate 11,440 power per plant.  :blink:

Sakarissa  :beer:

That wasn't a Gas Giant? :blink: Wow!

Nope. We have one as well. When you get down to it, any world with a Geo or Hydro potential high enough to produce at least 5000 per plant is a bargain compared to fission. No chance of disaster (Assuming it's turned on), no fuel to provide, and a savings in conmats. Our homeworld has been converted to pure hydro power since turn 1.

There is no diminishing returns on Hydro or GeoTherm power generation. I actually found a world with a high enough Hydro potential to generate 11,440 power per plant.  :thumbsup:

Then you will understand the satisfaction of of the citizen colonists of our second colony who get 13,360 power out of just one teeny Hydroelectric Power Plant. :blink:

Somewhat sadly, in reflection though, that yield of 618 is one of the highest we've ever found and indeed the highest on that particular world. :blink:

We would certainly be happy to construct Fission Plants anywhere if we discovered the semi-mythical Iron yields of 1,000+....... :beer:

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

I think the Thamians are in your section, too. That's why I'm going to drop them (again) as soon as my research experiment is done. We're going to discover exactly what percentage bonus is given by the RB +'s in race design.

Are you sure there is no diminishing returns on Geo/Hydro power plants. There seems to be one in place on my home world, but the effect is really small. Something to the value of -1 for every power plant in place.