Rolling Thunder Forums

Trading from Imperial Stockpile

Azuth

I was just thinking about trade (just in case I ever find someone to trade with). Is every item in your Imperial Stockpiles tradeable? Specifically meaning, can you trade colonists and Imperial units that are in your stockpile to another empire?

If so, then:

1 - What happens to the Colonists? Are they affected by the atmospheric and temperature of the new empire owner?

2 - What if I trade a Imperial Army Infantry (which may happen to have the Mega Pulse Blast Rifle as a ground combat weapon thru my research). Will that unit still have that capability (weapon) if traded to another empire? Or does that unit suddenly forget to take it with them. :beer:

I believe that you cannot exchange Colonists or Troops. There was a post about Trade that addressed these issues by Pete or Russ a while back. Look under the Neutral Population Growth topic. Pete said you can't mix Colonists with Neutral Populations, which would by extension preclude "trading" your population in any form to another Empire. :beer:

Copied from the MESSAGE FROM THE GAMEMASTER on the turns produced on August 28th:

After considering the issue of trade carefully, Population and Colonists can no longer be transferred or offloaded into a Population Group that was not originally colonized by your Empire. This prevents one Empire from rapidly transferring a lot of population to a trading partner on its homeworld, so as to rapidly create another (alien) production base there for the purpose of making alien technology (and avoiding any significant shipment of goods). None of this has occurred yet, making now a good time to close this off.

SO ... trading of colonists and population has been closed off. Nothing was mentioned about troops units. Of course, I believe troop units are similar to ships. When you build a ship or a troop, you must assign it to a specific group. And from there it cannot be traded to anyone else.

"Of course, I believe troop units are similar to ships. When you build a ship or a troop, you must assign it to a specific group. And from there it cannot be traded to anyone else"

This is not correct as (unlike ships) troop units can sit in the stockpile until they are allocated to an army using the DIV order. That said, I think trading troops should most definitely be outlawed.

"Of course, I believe troop units are similar to ships. When you build a ship or a troop, you must assign it to a specific group. And from there it cannot be traded to anyone else"

This is not correct as (unlike ships) troop units can sit in the stockpile until they are allocated to an army using the DIV order. That said, I think trading troops should most definitely be outlawed.

Yup ... converted Population (Troops and Colonists) sit in your Imperial Stockpiles until they are moved out (assignment to a Division for Troops, loaded into Colonial Berthings for Colonists) and I agree that anything that uses Population should not be a tradable commodity, based on the way the SN:ROTE system tracks racial information.

If the Economic System and Racial Data storage was different, I would advocate the existence of Mercenary Troops in the game. (I believe this was discussed in a different thread. :D ) That being said, the current "Barter" System doesn't really allow for Mercenary hiring in a clean manner, plus once an empire "owns" a Troop unit, that unit conforms with that Empire's Racial Profile and Ground Unit technologies. The unit would not retain its original equipment or racial characteristics, good or bad.

That being said, the current "Barter" System doesn't really allow for Mercenary hiring in a clean manner, plus once an empire "owns" a Troop unit, that unit conforms with that Empire's Racial Profile and Ground Unit technologies. The unit would not retain its original equipment or racial characteristics, good or bad.

Correct, and hence, there would be no point in trading them, even if it was allowed. What do you gain by receiving someone else's ground unit that has your own racial profile and tech? Nothing. You could have just made one yourself. It's kind of like trading for a starship component that you have the tech to build yourself. My point is, if it exists as a loophole, it isn't one I am terribly concerned about.