Rolling Thunder Forums

Out There...

T'Aleen Empire

Last night it was a crystal clear nightime sky in Pennsylvania on the east coast of the US, and I was out star gazing with my oldest son Matthew whom is 8. We had just come home from Cub Scouts, and happened to look up at the clear night's sky. No lights to block our view of the sky, and it was a nice temperature too.

I sat there with him on a bench in our backyard for a while just looking up and talking about what is out there. Meanwhile drifting to our ears from the distance was the music of a native American flute music song called "Eagle Dreams". It helped to greatly set the mood at that moment...just looking up at the universe above our heads and wondering about the future of mankind.

It always amazes me to listen to a child as they explore and ask about history, the world, and the future. He looks up and says..."Daddy to get out-there, we need to be able to travel faster than we can now move. We need to research engines and fuel that will move us faster to other planets within our own solar system."

I then ask him, what should we do when we get to the other planets and moons within our solar system? He then says...."well we should explore them for life and resources to help improve life back here on earth"..."we should then establish either mining colonies or science research colonies on other worlds to increase our knowledge and learn how to do things better."

I then ask him what does he want to do in the future...."I want to be a research scientist within the space program and would like to maybe be apart of the future teams that go out there back to the moon, or to mars." I always tell him to keep studing and keep his dreams and keep striving for what is in his heart. If the space program is what you wish to strive for, then to keep set on that goal and keep driving forward. The more your read, the more you learn, and the harder you strive will help you in achieving that goal.

Just some thoughts for you all, that a small child of 8 has the drive to want to reach for the stars. We should all push were ever we can, in all aspects and walks of life to get mankind out-there. The Stars are our destiny, or at least that is what I believe. I know I will try to foster this love and desire within my own two children, and try to spark that in any kids I can talk to. The future starts here and now in the dreams of youth and the games and fantasies we all have. So I ask you all to think about it, and if you can try to awaken that spark in as many as you can to help guide mankind into the stars.

:D Just my 2 cents...

Penn Eckert

Oracle Database Administrator

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sha'thar nods thoughtfully.

"I think we need to realize, in my opinion, that in someways we already -do- have a spacecraft, traveling through the vastness of space. With limited resources. And we're all riding on it. While we should search out new resources and life, we also need to maximize our abilities to sustain life on our 'starship earth' by conserving resources here. We, as a species, may be traveling on her, without serious resupply, for a very long time!"

Humming 'The Circle of Life'...

-Sha'thar. :D

:beer: Yes isn't it strange how our many Unmanned probes to Mars keep failing, makes one wonder if the face on Mars and the Pyrmid mounds are real? We need a manned mission to Mars to know for sure, but even then will the governments tell us the truth?

The proof and truth are both out there...either way!

OOC:

Well, Bush says he wants the US to send people to Mars. I suppose we will see. The best way to encourage space exploration is to turn loose the horde of freaks and geeks that traditionally have driven American entrapreneurial innovation. NASA needs to get out of the commercial space industry altogether and focus on scientific exploration and propaganda stunts like manned missions to Mars. Military missions should be handled by the DOD with a new Space Corps, preferably organized under the Department of the Navy since they have the unique combination of experience with Space and Missiles, Submarines, Communications,and Aviation that are all necessary for effective C3I+Force Application opperations in space. The real kicker, though, would be changing the way we deal with space from a legal perspective.

Space is a place and not a government program. Let capitalism work its magic. If we set up a private industry and entrapreneur friendly regulatory regime there are many in the US who would gladly invest and take the risks necessary to create a vibrant and robust space based economy. This presupposes that we use our economic leverage to force a private industry friendly alteration on the international community so that the obsolete statist regime currently in place is done away with. Basically we need to treat space more like the ocean and less like the air while we transition from a public to a private law mode of regulation. IMHO.

Shane

a.k.a. Boo Consultatum

For the Navy to take over the Military control of space would involve a major turf war between the Air Force and the Navy. The Air Force already has a "Space Command in place. The real solution is to create a new branch of the Military, dedicated to the control of space, it would have to start out small (Like the marines are now) and grow as needed

Anyone want to join the new U.S. S. F.

:beer:

For the Navy to take over the Military control of space would involve a major turf war between the Air Force and the Navy. The Air Force already has a "Space Command in place. The real solution is to create a new branch of the Military, dedicated to the control of space, it would have to start out small (Like the marines are now) and grow as needed

Anyone want to join the new U.S. S. F.

:beer:

We'll we get to "Nuk'em from Orbit?" :lol:

The real solution is to create a new branch of the Military, dedicated to the control of space, it would have to start out small (Like the marines are now) and grow as needed

I expect your US Space Force to split out from the Air Force much like the Air Force split from the Army after WWII. It will be a ways in the future though, I think.

What would also be interesting to see is what the other countries do when the US creates it's Space Force? Would there be a mad rush to have their own troops out in space, or would it be a joint international defence force? Canada barely has enough funding to pay for their troops. :beer:

My best wishes to your son, Penn. He has noble aspirations, indeed.

My first batch of responses to some things on the thread, I apologize if I may sound a bit strong in my comments, but I think these are important conspiracies to lay to rest - no offense intended to anyone:

1) We know for CERTAIN that the Pyramids and Face are merely interesting optical phenomenon and nothing more. Email me for links to gobs of proof.

2) The Lunar Landing was not a farce (I read a synopsis of the crack who thinks its a conspiracy and he's nuts although its fun to laugh about for the several dozen astronauts who've been there and thousands of other credible members of the scientific community :lol: ) Again, email me for links for more gobs and gobs and gobs of proof

3) There are several non-government organizations headed to space. I think space capitalism is alive and well. It requires tremendous capital -- but in my view -- every major expansion in civilization has always been the result of 'capitalism' (opportuniy/fortune seeking) than the efforts of any government. I'm not discounting NASA in the least as I'm a huge fun of the space program -- but I don't think we should all be holding our breath for governments to make vast achievments towards colonization and expansion. There are TONS of amazing projects under consideration right now - many of them having to do with mining or more efficiently utilizing solar energy (if we had no atmosphere, we'd have an unlimited energy source -- problem is if we use solar panels in space to trap energy and drag it back to earth, the panels turn into plasma :beer: (Solution - cut a small hole in the atmosphere with a large solar panel at the base -- safer than any environmentalist would believe and an internatioal project currently underway -- email me for details as I'm pretty involved with this on a personal level)

4) The Outer Space Treaty signed by the UN in 1967 still holds true. "The Outer Space Treaty contains an undertaking not to place in orbit around the Earth, install on the moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise station in outer space, nuclear or any other weapons of mass destruction. It limits the use of the moon and other celestial bodies exclusively to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for establishing military bases, installation, or fortifications; testing weapons of any kind; or conducting military maneuvers."

5) On a side note -- Star Registry et al is total BS (ie naming stars after your loved ones) Don't do it unless you're doing it as a fun joke present idea. It's a scam. Astronomers will never call a star "Julie" etc. (Stars have those long string of numbers and letters for a very damn good reason LOL boring? yes - but remotely practical) No respectable astronomy society recognizes the names. Just a heads up. Many well intentioned people buy the star for their friends or relatives but it has no value beyond an interesting conversational wallpiece/coffee-table-item

6) I think that the conservation of our resources on this planet will begin with a better understanding and utilization of the nearly infinite resources here in our very own solar system :blink: We win in the long run with a stronger space program. (Especially once we solve the energy problem -- and we will)

Have a Happy New Year and good luck to the thousands of creatures and citizens within SNROTE and to the players who control them :blink:

For your 5th point --- Yes, the Star Registry might be all for fun at the current time, and not officially recognized. But, it is human nature to name things. Astronomers may feel fine in calling a star NBX-8936-28a. But average people will want the star's NAME. That cannot be denied.

So, assuming man continues to advance and starts traveling to the stars, man will not be content to refer to stars by the long numbers that have been given to them for astronomical cataloging? They will want to name the stars. If we reach a point where such travels are possible and at that point the Star Registry is still known about, then it is possible someone could start to use it for some of the star names. True, it is more likely that whomever goes to star "X" will name the thing for themselves (as being the first human to visit there gives them that "right"). But it is possible that the star called "Julie" in the registry will be called "Julie" in the future.

So, repsectable astronomical societies can keep their heads in the sand all they want and ignore this. But the fact is stars WILL be named somehow, someway, as that makes it more acceptable to refer to them by the masses. And just as astonomers refer to commonly known stars by name (Alpha Centauri, Betegleuse, Virgo, etc...), as more stars are named they will have to accept and use the names given to the stars. They will have no choice in the matter.

On a side note I am still amazed at all the Mars probes failing. :beer: maybe little green men are running out to stomp on them!

bang Bang....go Away!

There is actually a long history of Mars probes falling down on the job... lots of specualtion why... even theories that Mars' moons are hollow, artificial or both.

might hafta wait for the manned trip to get an idea on what is really going on.