Rolling Thunder Forums

Neutral live

crossroads

Just a side note to those on ther verge of abandoning their diplomacy altogether....

I seem to remember that in the beginning there were a lot of concerns about the use of our religious leaders in the game and "How do you get Fanatics...etc. Later, there was a dramatic increase in the religious related finds and events after the boards discussed the possibilities and opinions of the players. Therefore, in a sense you are all diplomatic already helping to shape the game. In game terms, however, I would assume that the same will be true regarding diplomats. They will start to become more important as there is more diplomatic actions activated in the game design. It may be true that there is no tangible difference between conquest and diplomacy...then again in the future there may be. It may even be tied to religion is some way as to which God your religious leaders pray to. I can't imagine too many Yamal worshippers out there in that case.

Guest Zy'lar'isa

Empirical evidence shows that neutrals are nothing but a myth. As is the theory that there are intelligent races out there.......

:huh:

Head Bad Momma of The Nest of Zylaria

Facts about the Universe.

Population: None

It is known that there are an infinate number of worlds but that not every one of them is inhabitted. Therefore there must be a finite number of inhabitted worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no aught. So, if every planet in the univers has a population of zero then the entire population of the universe is also zero. And any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

*Thanks to Douglas Adams and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

139 is good..

Fleet 801 #801 located at xxxxxxxx, conducts a detailed Orbital Reconnaissance of the main planet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PopGroup Population Governing Empire

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22379 563,712 The Sh-Lakk Mindsphere #841 (A Great Sun, Brightly Illuminating A Solar System)

Oh wait...it's not a neutral it's another player....(mad pirate laughter in the background)

I have seen a neutral that had 139 pop at first encounter. It has grown some since joining my cause though. I believe somebody posted about an advanced neutral of 170 pop on the old board.

Assuming each installation contains 1 pop, I have one at 165 and still growing. :P

Just wish I could fix these installation. Anything yet on that Pete?

So, I have a primitive neutral with hardly any pop (less than 20) I'm trying to subvert just to see how the DIP order works, but I'm also hoping I get something useful out of this effort. Actually, I need to ORB them and see if maybe there's stuff in their stockpile I could use. I've been giving them thousands of tons of stuff a couple turns now as part of the DIP order, and they haven't joined up yet, though relations are improving. Have no idea how long this DIP stuff will take. Plopped a colony on the world as well since it had a good CSV rating. Kinda weird that my diplomat has to do the DIP from a fleet and can't do it from the colony, tying up the ship he is on that should be entering a convoy to get more colonists to the new colony. Going to go a couple more turns when I run out of stuff to give these bozos then transfer the diplomat to a pathfinder to do the DIP order if they don't come around by then.

Maybe I should have used these guys to try out my troops or bombs instead......

I never said the words of Douglas Adams were logical. The whole thing is full of flaws in the logic. But, it's entertaining

As for the war, it continues, same old, same old. I send messages to NSI. I get no response. We destroy a few of each others ships (overall, he's lost 1,079,000 tons of ships, I've lost 1,452,000 tons, mostly from jumping three ships through a WP into eight defenders on the other side (where I still destroyed three of the eight defenders)). I really wish the player would contact me or respond. Quite frankly -- if I wanted to play against some nameless silent foe, I'd load up Galatic Empires on my PC and play versus the computer. There is enough evidence to indicate NSI is active (90% certain). Why someone would play this game and shun all communications I do not know.

If I find a pop group of 20 and force them to join my Empire. :P

They are pissed at me and not working good because of rebs.

If I drop 40 of my own pop. there will that stop them from fighting me and make the rebs go away. :woohoo:

. . . Kinda weird that my diplomat has to do the DIP from a fleet and can't do it from the colony, tying up the ship he is on that should be entering a convoy to get more colonists to the new colony. . .

It bothers me as well from a believability standpoint. It also bothers me that the statistical probability of success for a given turn is tied to the number of AP's of the fleet the diplomat is on, and therefore the amount of money I spent on DIP order blocks. Each diplomat should only be allowed to execute 1 DIP per turn and the chance of success modified upwards accordingly. There should be no connection between how many AP's the fleet has that the diplomat is on, and the aggregate chance of success. DIP probably shouldn't cost an AP anyway, but I'm O.K. on it costing 1 if only 1 attempt per turn was allowed per diplomat (or per neutral which is probably overall a bit better).

Based on available evidence, the DIP order is a waste of (usually many) order blocks and the smart player will just send a division, at least with minor neutrals. But I stubbornly continue to try to use diplomats in the hope that there is more to this than we've seen so far and that diplomats have more use than whipping the factory workers.

I agree with Paradigm - surely a diplomat should only be allowed to perform 1 or 2 DIP actions per turn. At present if they are on board an 8AP ship they can perform 8 DIPs. Why should the amount of diplomacy that can be done be dependant on the engine sizes and the mass of the fleet that the diplomat is on?

Also the idea that you have to be on board a space ship to conduct diplomacy is not right. Why can't armies carry out DIP orders? In my (reasonably humble) opinion only diplomats should be able to carry out DIPlomacy orders. :P

Like paradigm I have stuck at using diplomacy to persuade my neutrals to join the empire and have also so far seen no tangible return for my many efforts. I hope that SN ROTE is programmed in such a way as to give such empires preferring diplomacy to guns some bonus for their efforts. For instance, PGs joining through diplomacy may have a higher level of affiliation to the empire. Or perhaps they present the empire with some nice gifts of their own when they finally sign on the dotted line!

It has been mentioned before, but some sort of diplomatic progress bar would also be nice!

I have had success getting neutrals by diplomacy and it usually didn't take more than about 20 orders worth or 10 turns of 2 orders a turn, maybe a few more. The DIP order shouldn't cost you much of anything. It is just a single order or 2 or 3 for a fleet. If you don't want to use a fleet you can always use your surface fortress to do it since it has 2 AP's that aren't doing anything.

By and far the best way aquire neutrals is with troops. This may bite us all in the posterior down the road, but there is no indication that it matters one way or the other at present. My conquered neutrals seem to be just as happy as DIP'd ones do so I don't see the difference.

As far as limiting the number of attempts per fleet or neutral - that would only make it that much better to use troops.

I have found that using your emperor to conduct the negotiations has helped. :D

Edited by hobknob