Rolling Thunder Forums

Homeworld

crossroads

I, for one, would be a bit peeved if I built a race of conquerors only to find out that after you spend a lot of effort and money to conquer someone else you get, essentially, nothing. It's actually negative returns, since you expended resources to get your nearly nothing.

I wonder where the idea of "getting nearly nothing" came from. Naturally you get the stockpiles and the gigantic industrial advantage of taking over another homeworld, not to mention eliminating a potentially irritating neighbor and having a lot of fun in the process...pretty much the reasons why Man has gone to war for thousands of years :(

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a completely different tack.

If a neighbour and I enter a total alliance, do we also get to share Warp point info if we want to?

Enquiring minds want to know?

You don't instantly gain the warp point info - your ships have to compute their own pathways via SURV missions. However, if you're allied with your neighbor and want to work together, he could allow your scouts free movement within his territory to SURV like crazy :(

I wonder where the idea of "getting nearly nothing" came from. Naturally you get the stockpiles and the gigantic industrial advantage of taking over another homeworld, not to mention eliminating a potentially irritating neighbor and having a lot of fun in the process...pretty much the reasons why Man has gone to war for thousands of years

See, here's the issue I'm having. You mention that "naturally you get the stockpiles and the gigantic industrial advantage". This is good because now you have confirmed that this is what we can get. However, everything else is not confirmed. It's not mentioned in the rulebooks nor have you mentioned what else is acquired when you capture a homeworld.

If you don't mind, just to set the record straight, Pete could you please confirm "exactly" what one would get when they conquer a homeworld. This is extremely important because I'm assuming I would get several other things when actually I may not. Depending on the answer it could change my idea of conquest to just subjugation.

Now that we've initiated communications with other sentients, we are astonished at this widespread concept of 'war'. Why would sentient beings not simply share nature's bounty together? In fact, we're more than a little suspicious that this isn't some galactic practical joke. We look forward to meeting our (undoubtedly peaceful) neighbors.

I, for one, would be a bit peeved if I built a race of conquerors only to find out that after you spend a lot of effort and money to conquer someone else you get, essentially, nothing.  It's actually negative returns, since you expended resources to get your nearly nothing.

I wonder where the idea of "getting nearly nothing" came from. Naturally you get the stockpiles and the gigantic industrial advantage of taking over another homeworld, not to mention eliminating a potentially irritating neighbor and having a lot of fun in the process...pretty much the reasons why Man has gone to war for thousands of years :)

The idea of getting nearly nothing came from the information previously presented. We know that you cannot capture technology from an opponent. You might be able to get a little bit of information by analyzing anything new or interesting in the stockpiles you acquire. However, until the most recent post, nothing told us that you could actually acquire anything from conquered stockpiles. For all we knew, everyone practices a 'Scorched Earth' policy, destroying everything that could possibly be of use to the enemy before the enemy could take it.

I was hoping that was not the case. :cheers:

Overall, it was just the lack of information that led to my statements. If I had built a ground combat race ... which I didn't. If I found out I received essentially nothing ... which has since been stated to not be the case. There are a lot of things that we just don't know about concerning how SN:ROTE functions.

Hopefully the latest Rules revision will rectify a lot of that. :(

-SK :)

I am under the assumption that it is the same as when you get a neutral. You get their population group + population + stockpiles. One does not get the knowledge of how to build installations nor the tech. I guess they just get dumb or smarter depending on ones own tech.

:(

PS - Azuth..don't mind my cloaked ships.....nope..they are friendly :lol:

Then the galaxy forbid that you work your butt off only to find that you have conquered a race that only researched Ground Tech. Then you get nothing as the population quickly destroy all of the portable vibrocannons, distortion beams and pulse shadow weaver rifles and then demand that you re-equip them all with piddly little laser rifles and flamethrowers.

What a weapons cache...truly a pirate's dream, but never to be found.

I am under the assumption that it is the same as when you get a neutral. You get their population group + population + stockpiles. One does not get the knowledge of how to build installations nor the tech. I guess they just get dumb or smarter depending on ones own tech.

:blink:

Mister Mad,

You are becoming alarming with your ability to state my opinions before I even get a chance to postulate.

It is truly a shame that you are a black hatted pirate and all around reincarnated evil one.

Or is it that I have black hatted tendencies?

Imagine the interstellar police blotter, well officer, we wuz attacked by a nun with a gun, really big gun. :unsure:

If you don't mind, just to set the record straight, Pete could you please confirm "exactly" what one would get when they conquer a homeworld. This is extremely important because I'm assuming I would get several other things when actually I may not. Depending on the answer it could change my idea of conquest to just subjugation.

Maybe once somebody conquers a homeworld this info will get out. You know for sure that you don't get technology, and there isn't a game around that doesn't grant you the industries and stockpiles, so that much was pretty straightforward.

Gaining just that definitely makes it all worthwhile - so why ruin the surprise for the enterprising players who happen to put in all of the work necessary to take out somebody's home planet? I have said before, and it bears repeating: you are not going to get technology. That could be exploited mercilessly by players who wanted to blow out tech transfers. Tech is something that can be given in the form of produced items, but cannot be taken directly. Score one for the helpless brain-blob of a creature who just won't give out his secrets even if you pull very hard on one of his eyestalks :unsure:

As for imperial information (such as ship designs, shipyard queues, stockpiles and so on) I'm working on adding those to the espionage rules. Your spies should have a lot of fun snooping about :blink:

:unsure:

In others words, you wouldn't get the actual installations? Meaning that all installations would "disband" and you would get pop and a resource stockpile (including all the CM's from the disbanded installations.) I assume this to be the case, since you cannot get installations you cannot build yourself, correct?