Rolling Thunder Forums

Homeworld

crossroads

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to have a homeworld for your position to continue. You just keep paying and moving your fleets around while your scientists continue to look for the uber homeworld replacement device.

If you lose your homeworld and your friends and neighbors get it back for you, how do they actually give it back to the rightful owner?

In this highly unusual case, I could intervene at the request of the players involved and transfer ownership. A conquered homeworld recaptured by an ally and then given back to the original owner...sounds rare enough to me to call for the allowance of slight GM involvement to make it all work out as per the players' wishes :( The original owner could of course just land troops and take it back from his ally, who "forgets" to station troops there--a time-honored sneaky method of transferring ownership of pbm assets...but in this case there would be little need for subterfuge :cheers:

In this highly unusual case, I could intervene at the request of the players involved and transfer ownership. A conquered homeworld recaptured by an ally and then given back to the original owner...sounds rare enough to me to call for the allowance of slight GM involvement to make it all work out as per the players' wishes  The original owner could of course just land troops and take it back from his ally, who "forgets" to station troops there--a time-honored sneaky method of transferring ownership of pbm assets...but in this case there would be little need for subterfuge

Interesting....however, what else would happen if one conquered a Homeworld? I already know that the conqueror wouldn't receive any additional Research Centers, but what about the possibility of capturing a few completed research items. Getting a copy of the Warp Survey Point Report. Capturing some/most of their characters, getting fleet info, the Imperial Stockpile, etc... If I were to capture a Homeworld I would expect some of this as part of my spoils of war. :(

Of course, instead of capturing a homeworld, they could just surrender to me and follow "The Official Drow Doctrine of Subjugated Worlds" that I'm putting together. :cheers:

In this highly unusual case, I could intervene at the request of the players involved and transfer ownership. A conquered homeworld recaptured by an ally and then given back to the original owner...sounds rare enough to me to call for the allowance of slight GM involvement to make it all work out as per the players' wishes  The original owner could of course just land troops and take it back from his ally, who "forgets" to station troops there--a time-honored sneaky method of transferring ownership of pbm assets...but in this case there would be little need for subterfuge

Interesting....however, what else would happen if one conquered a Homeworld? I already know that the conqueror wouldn't receive any additional Research Centers, but what about the possibility of capturing a few completed research items. Getting a copy of the Warp Survey Point Report. Capturing some/most of their characters, getting fleet info, the Imperial Stockpile, etc... If I were to capture a Homeworld I would expect some of this as part of my spoils of war. :(

Of course, instead of capturing a homeworld, they could just surrender to me and follow "The Official Drow Doctrine of Subjugated Worlds" that I'm putting together. :cheers:

While it might be realistic to consider a research transfer to the conqueror of a homeworld, this could be severely abused by repeatedly allowing other empires to conquer the same world from each other. Additionally, the inability to transfer research grants the defender an interesting asset: he has something that an invader can never take, but can be traded via produced goods (his research).

QUOTE (Azuth @ Jan 12 2004, 05:47 PM)

Interesting....however, what else would happen if one conquered a Homeworld? I already know that the conqueror wouldn't receive any additional Research Centers, but what about the possibility of capturing a few completed research items. Getting a copy of the Warp Survey Point Report. Capturing some/most of their characters, getting fleet info, the Imperial Stockpile, etc... If I were to capture a Homeworld I would expect some of this as part of my spoils of war. 

Of course, instead of capturing a homeworld, they could just surrender to me and follow "The Official Drow Doctrine of Subjugated Worlds" that I'm putting together.  

While it might be realistic to consider a research transfer to the conqueror of a homeworld, this could be severely abused by repeatedly allowing other empires to conquer the same world from each other. Additionally, the inability to transfer research grants the defender an interesting asset: he has something that an invader can never take, but can be traded via produced goods (his research).

Hmmm....that is something I never considered. However, what about all the other items I mentioned such as getting the Warp Point Report, the Fleet Report, their Imperial Stockpile, etc. There needs to be some incentive (spoils of war) for going after and capturing a Homeworld, else what's the use being a warmonger then. :(

QUOTE (Azuth @ Jan 12 2004, 05:47 PM)

Hmmm....that is something I never considered. However, what about all the other items I mentioned such as getting the Warp Point Report, the Fleet Report, their Imperial Stockpile, etc. There needs to be some incentive (spoils of war) for going after and capturing a Homeworld, else what's the use being a warmonger then. :cheers:

Well, perhaps there isn't any particular upside of being a warmonger........ :)

Now that would be a different sort of game.... :(

Chief Existentialist to Ur-Lord Tedric

I had just assumed anything in stockpile on the world when it's conquered would be still be there when the new management arrived, as would any surviving installations. It just seems to make more sense that way.

Which reminds me, anyone who manages to take the Thamian homeworld is going to get more Ghuran Demonblood than they could possibly use, since those mines have been cranking since turn 1 and I've never used any of it...

I, for one, would be a bit peeved if I built a race of conquerors only to find out that after you spend a lot of effort and money to conquer someone else you get, essentially, nothing. It's actually negative returns, since you expended resources to get your nearly nothing.

Not to sound harsh, but the opening sentence (after the flavor text) is "SuperNova: Rise of the Empire, or SN:ROTE, is an interactive game of galactic conquest, colonization and exploration based on the highly popular SuperNova

system." If you replaced the word conquest with the word trade, it would be a different story. However, the word is conquest.

Right now, I don't see the point in making ground troops, at least offensive ones, or for that matter, a ground combat oriented race. If taking a planet doesn't get me anything, I might as well just 'nuke' it from orbit once I have eliminated the orbital defenses then colonize the irradiated planet or asteroid field (if my weapons are that powerful).

M2CW,

Chief Grumpy Person of the Clan

:(