Rolling Thunder Forums

Sharing Technologies

Will Sharing technology ultimately make every position like every other?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go one research project per slot for a long while until you bump into things that take 20+ turns and/or run out of SRPs

As far as multiple research centers on a certain project, I find 6-7 RCs to work well for the cost of inefficiency in doing so.

I like what Gary said -- knowing the tech tree actually lets you specialize rather than inheriting tech that don't have the anticipated flavor you desired.

Has anyone really found out what the penalty in using more than 1 research center on a given tech is??

It seems from my turns that 4 RC´s gives at least 2 turns of research but 3 RC gives less than 2 turns of research.

What is the current average cost for tech of higher levels?

I at what level tech should I expect at research time (for 1 RC) of more than 20 turns??

thanks

Tokmok

I've recently compiled this data and the strongest trend is:

(number of research centers or 'slots')^(1/2) = # of 'turns' of research gained

aka

Square Root of 'number of research centers' or 'slots' = # 'turns of research'

1 slot on 1 item= 1 turns of research

4 slots on 1 item = 2 turns of research

9 slots on 1 item = 3 turns of research

16 slots on 1 item = 4 turns of research

25 slots on 1 item = 5 turns of research

And lookie! 25!! If you put all 25 RCs on one item you get 5 turns of research!

Nifty, eh? :)

I'm 99% sold on this SNROTE theorom. I'll confirm the 16 deal next turn.

Let TA = Turn Advance = rate of research gained per turn using one slot

Let S= Slots = slots devoted to one particular line of research

THEN

(S)^(1/2) = TA

Also - if you have a race with 'standard' tech skills.....

1st level stuff (Improved and most 2nd Gen etc) = 12 turns

2nd level stuff (Advanced and most 3rd Gen etc) = 24 turns

3rd level stuff (4th Gen etc) = 36 turns

4th....= 48 turns

With 'superfast' tech skills.....

1st level stuff (Improved and most 2nd Gen etc) = 8 turns

2nd level stuff (Advanced and most 3rd Gen etc) = 16 turns

3rd level stuff (4th Gen etc) = 24 turns

4th.... = 32 turns

Of course, if you have SRPS left over, any advance up to 4th Gen stuff (approx) can be bought at an estimated cost of 1 SRP (based on a 'standard' race?)

(A race with 2000 SRPs could easily crank out most fo the 1st through 3rd gen stuff)

EternusssIV,

is that jussst Ssswagsss on your part for cossstsss? It would be nice if they were ssso cheap asss you sssugessst.

Defining cossst asss 1 for a bassse no Resssearch Bonusss race, I would throw out the following update to your Ssswag.

Level 1 ssshould = poor = 3 cost

Level 2 ssshould = fair = 12 cost

Level 3 ssshould = adequate = 27 cost

etc, etc, etc...

Ssstill working on multiple level 5 or Sssuperior advancesss and the next generation of impresssive...

One can purchassse up to good for itemsss and technology. Oh courssse it would take one yearsss to purchassse up to fourth generation techsss at one a turn, 26 a year.

The interesssting horizon techsss, sssuch asss 3rd Generation Civil Engineering mussst be earned one tech at a time. Isss it worth it to ussse multiple RC'sss to open up and get 4th Generation Indussstrial Ssscience in under a year asss opposssed to waiting more than a year? We ssstill are pondering thisss question.

We would agree with you on the sssquaring of multiple RC'sss, while it would be nice to not be ssso drassstic :) , essspecially at 16 of our valuable RC'sss, but, we don't know yet (essspecially asss a trading partner who might help with thisss confirmation isss to busssy (lazy) to track their RC'sss and tech invessstment)

Regardsss, :taz:

CTO Sssarasss

No WAG on my end, really (except presuming that the jump to 3rd-4th Gen is in even multiples)

I've kept close track on research costs since the beginning.

Multiples of 12 seem about right for the Spawn...and were less for my second position (BTC) Of course, I've only confirmed up to 3rd Generation stuff.

I'm no tsure what you mean about 3rd Gen Civil Engineering needing to be bought one tech at a time....are you saying you CANT buy 3rd Gen Civil Engineering with SRPs? That would be really odd.

Is it worth using multiple centes to open up 4th Gen Indy Science?

Well - it totally depends on what your priorities are. It sounds like you already have 3rd Gen Indy Sci which is more effective thatn the std fare. Why not push the envelope?

I don't think that sharing tech information will matter. Knowing how to get the tech and being able to get it are two completly different things. Many people are concentrating and speciffic things for their research. Say you find out how to getr to type F plasma tropedo but your mainly working on high energy discharge, once you manage to get the torpedo it will be way out dataed and and new more tempting tech will be visable. Of course if you fall for it once you might fall for it again and try to get that one, eventualy you will fall way behind in your reaserch.

Sorry, I don't buy the whole hidden tech tree leads to diversity. The hidden tech tree leads to being dead. The Trans Warp drive is an excellent example of the problem with "hidden" tech trees. It has major strategic implications and if you don't have saved race points and hadn't been researching the Fuel line, you are completely boned or have to waste an inordinate amount of RCs to get it quickly.

Hidden tech trees also magnify the advantage of saving race points. I seriously don't see how it can be balanced if a race that didn't save any points bumps into a race that did. Please don't try and tell me that the other racial advantages will make up for it because that is not what Pete has indicated on these boards.

I have to agree with the Bovine Hegemony on a couple points. I think the hidden tech tree leads to commonality not diversity, especially for the 'pathfinder' races who started the game early. They have to grope around in the darkness while newer races benefit from their toil. Pretty powerful stuff having a partially revealed tech tree and a fist (tentacle? claw?) full of SRPs to spend on technology.

My race may be tougher than public school cafeteria bacon on the ground, but it won't help me much if I'm being blasted from orbit by some frail, anemic, gnat-sized, micro-encephalits who used a boatload of SRPs to have Unobtanium Armor and Mark III Doom Blasters.

YMMV

-SK :python: