Rolling Thunder Forums

Sharing Technologies

Will Sharing technology ultimately make every position like every other?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never liked buying tech. It leads to races that do not differ a lot from each other. If you use all your setup points you are "punished" by the quick buyers. It takes about 50 turns to get close to them in tech if you had bought a good deal of research bonus race characteristics. Personally i think buying tech with setup points should be banned.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without SRPs.....do you realize how viciously slow the tech developments would seem for some?

I ran out of SRPs a long time ago (one month after the game was released) I've had to devote multiple centers on technology to keep me competitive with the newer races with SRPs.

I trust that the racial bonuses will even things out (and have for my desired strategy thus far)

In retrospect, I would have saved a hundred more SRPs or so...thats it.

Banning SRPs is not the answer.

Besides, SRPs only help with the first few generations of tech anyway.

I think any change to the race/SRP set-up system would severely alter the overall design of the game.

Without SRPs.....do you realize how viciously slow the tech developments would seem for some?

I ran out of SRPs a long time ago (one month after the game was released) I've had to devote multiple centers on technology to keep me competitive with the newer races with SRPs.

I trust that the racial bonuses will even things out (and have for my desired strategy thus far)

In retrospect, I would have saved a hundred more SRPs or so...thats it.

Banning SRPs is not the answer.

Besides, SRPs only help with the first few generations of tech anyway.

I think any change to the race/SRP set-up system would severely alter the overall design of the game.

What is the problem with slow? :cheers: It is expected that we will play this game for years to come. If you want fast paced go somewhere else... :python:

Hidden tech trees also magnify the advantage of saving race points.  I seriously don't see how it can be balanced if a race that didn't save any points bumps into a race that did.  Please don't try and tell me that the other racial advantages will make up for it because that is not what Pete has indicated on these boards.

And the solution for me is not, oh well, just start another race (now that I have spent hundreds of dollars on the one I have). I've been against hidden tech trees from the beginning, and have yet to be dissuaded from my opinion.

Possibly there should simply be a limit to the number of saved points allowed, or making tech purchased cost twice as much as the number of RCs saved. I don't know.

Hidden tech trees also magnify the advantage of saving race points.  I seriously don't see how it can be balanced if a race that didn't save any points bumps into a race that did.  Please don't try and tell me that the other racial advantages will make up for it because that is not what Pete has indicated on these boards.

And the solution for me is not, oh well, just start another race (now that I have spent hundreds of dollars on the one I have). I've been against hidden tech trees from the beginning, and have yet to be dissuaded from my opinion.

My personal opinion based on decades of playing and running games is that SRP's are probably a serious game design flaw and if SN3 dies an early death, it will be due to SRP's. I say "probably" because I have some faith that Pete and Russ know what they are doing and wouldn't have included such an obviously dangerous flaw. But the longer I play the more that faith is being strained as the evidence grows and continues to support my fears.

We will certainly see. I hope I am wrong.

... I've been against hidden tech trees from the beginning, and have yet to be dissuaded from my opinion.

I agree, hidden tech is limiting my choices to paths I know I can reach. I cannot afford to waste time researching techs that may lead to things I realise later I don't want or need. Yet by not trying a few, I am certain to miss some really exciting techs I'd love to have.

I hope I don’t persecuted for this, but I like the hidden tech tree. It challenges the players to make choices such as going after the technologies mentioned by other players or researching others to unlock secrets unheard of before. I enjoy seeing the list of newly researchable items when I have made a breakthrough of two. (Superconductors was great). Sure some are worried about chasing after an experiment that may prove useless (I currently chasing after the Plantfood tech based on a theory), but you never know what it can open up. How many people thought about researching Advanced Fuel before the path to Nuclear Transwarp Jump Drive was announced.

As for SRP, in my opinion everything will balance out in the long run. A lot of people will disagree with the statement that I have made, but SRP will only get you so far. You can not purchase Type C Spinal Starbore with SRP, sure you can buy up a lot of the horizon tech that will lead you there. But as most of have seen the horizon technologies on average provide nothing but serve as a “prerequisite” for a given technology that will take another year (in real time) to research. Yes my opponent who had plenty of SRP might be a year or two closer to the above mentioned weapon, but that will balance out with my space combat modifiers, the extra resources I have been able to gather from my colonization bonuses, etc. I hope I am correct about this, I only had about 12 SRP when I began. :python:

On a side not, can someone tell me what ICE is? I am not asking for the research path to it, I just wanted the description to what it is.

I hope I don’t persecuted for this, but I like the hidden tech tree. It challenges the players to make choices such as going after the technologies mentioned by other players or researching others to unlock secrets unheard of before. I enjoy seeing the list of newly researchable items when I have made a breakthrough of two. (Superconductors was great). Sure some are worried about chasing after an experiment that may prove useless (I currently chasing after the Plantfood tech based on a theory), but you never know what it can open up. How many people thought about researching Advanced Fuel before the path to Nuclear Transwarp Jump Drive was announced.

As for SRP, in my opinion everything will balance out in the long run. A lot of people will disagree with the statement that I have made, but SRP will only get you so far. You can not purchase Type C Spinal Starbore with SRP, sure you can buy up a lot of the horizon tech that will lead you there. But as most of have seen the horizon technologies on average provide nothing but serve as a “prerequisite” for a given technology that will take another year (in real time) to research. Yes my opponent who had plenty of SRP might be a year or two closer to the above mentioned weapon, but that will balance out with my space combat modifiers, the extra resources I have been able to gather from my colonization bonuses, etc. I hope I am correct about this, I only had about 12 SRP when I began. 

On a side not, can someone tell me what ICE is? I am not asking for the research path to it, I just wanted the description to what it is.

I agree with Ixitixl 100%. We're suppose to be learning and exploring the various applications that can be applied to build other tech or items. We don't usually know exactly what other applications we going to get as a bonus once a "specific" item has been researched and that the fun and mystery of it all. That's what makes each race unique. Sure there are some "major" tech items that everyone should have, and will find out about, such as Transwarp Drives, but that's also up to those who know how to get there and if they wish to reveal their secret. :cheers:

Hell, if the U.S. knew the tech tree to make Warp Drives or Advanced Medicine or whatever, don't you think we'd be researching and building it by now? :python:

Btw, I don't know what ICE is either. :cheers:

ICE-1 is very important. You put a whole bunch of it into these big steel or aluminum buckets and then insert your beer. This keeps the beer very cold. :cheers: However, you do eventually have to replace the ICE-1 as it will turn into WATER-1 after a period of time. :drunk::thumbsup:

ICE-1 is very important. You put a whole bunch of it into these big steel or aluminum buckets and then insert your beer. This keeps the beer very cold. :cheers: However, you do eventually have to replace the ICE-1 as it will turn into WATER-1 after a period of time. :drunk::thumbsup:

I wouldn't put ICE-1 in my beer. There is no telling what it might change the beer in to. By definition it couldn't become something better than beer.