Rolling Thunder Forums

Sharing Technologies

Will Sharing technology ultimately make every position like every other?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I and a friend who is playing have been comparing our relative tech research a bit. I went with 200 SRP points with my race design, and while my race has some decent "Brainiac" bonuses as well, he went with 0 SRP and significantly higher "Braniac" bonuses.

We have been in the game since near the beginning, 34 turns or so.

My 200 SRP ran out about 15 turns ago. At that time I had researched about 40 techs and he had researched about 30 techs, so I was ahead. Since then he has pulled ahead in research, not by much, but it seems clear that he will continue to pull ahead, obviously.

So, I don't think the SRP races have any real advantage....other posts in this thread suggest it will be many years of gameplay before the "Braniac" race will catch up to those who used SRPs. I don't think that's the case.

What muddles the issue is the hidden tech tree and the long duration before bumping in to other players. During those 20 or so turns I was spending my SRPs, I really had little clue what was important to get. I managed to get some good engine techs early, but otherwise the pints probably could have been spent much wiser if I knew where best to spend them. The "Brainiac" race has his advantage the whole game, I'm thinking this is generally a better way to go.