Rolling Thunder Forums

Well, what country?

Squash

Chico has a good idea, just make sure you have fun. If you do find you are getting pounded, try something new just for fun. There is nothing wrong with getting beat (ok, I don't like it) but you can learn from it. IF you do get defeated, join another game and learn from you mistake

NOw, I signed up for 5 different games figuring I'd get knocked out of 2 or 3, well, the first one finished a few months ago, and the second is about to. I'm still in the remaining 3. Go figure! had a joined up for just one, I probably would have gotten wacked early. :rolleyes:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard about WW II online, but I'm afraid I'd like it too much and keep playing.... AS for the 5 games, yea, like I said, figured I'd get knocked out of a couple, but nope. Have to say, it has been fun! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

As others already mentioned, there are so many different preferences for countries and so many good and bad arguments for this and that one :lol:

To follow this... :taz: ... i always liked Italy a lot. Why:

- You seem to be vulnerable in the south, but usually... African countries have other problems in the beginning than organizing an attack over the MED. And the possibilities to launch a large-scale-attack by amphibious landings are limited at the beginning, making that risk bearable.

- Main parts of your industry are in the center, far away from the countries in the north. Mountainous ground makes it also very difficult for enemies to close in soon.

- You have four countries against you in the north. But France will have enough enemies, so an attack by France is usually not an option. Same for Yugoslavia... no sense for him to go for Italy with all his nice neighbours in the east. Just let Switzerland and Austria... and usually you should be able to bring one of them into your boat and attack the other.

- And a main advantage is, that you have great grounds before you... many wonderful countries to conquer. Get one or two of them and you will be very able to kick every coming landing in the south.

I think, most of those arguments also count for Greece... same situation, just a bit smaller. I always loved to get one of those countries.

Good luck :cheers:

Peter Schmitter (from Switzerland)

• 4 weeks later...

Always fancied Italy. But can't agree about Greece. Very vulnerable to losing its top provinces and once Salonika has gone (it has a large number of ARM factories at the start) you're in trouble.

Still - it's pretty exciting in the Balkans in general. I've played Bulgaria twice with various degrees of failure. It's incredibly intense and pretty bloody, but wow it's great fun.

Over here in Libya it's a totally different game. But I can't give too much away...

By the way I'm playing in London, England. Are the rest of you Americans?

Or Swiss :P

Think, most of the Europeans played Vic at a company in Lowlands (The PBM-Express). But service was bad or at least, turned to be so ... and the company once stopped offering the game. Yep, and then, it took a few years to find out about Rollingthunder (vivat internet) and the easy way to play (and the excellent service of Russ).

Good luck to you

Peter

a company in Lowlands.

Vic! clouds the mind I guess. It's The Netherlands, not Lowlands. :)

But I think it is a good idea that we should annex Belgium and Luxembourg. All for the glory of the mighty durtch empire!

:thumbsup:

By the way, I'm going to Iceland this summer. Should I PAP ALL first or am I welcome without an alliance?

This game does strange things to me... :drunk:

Yes that's true

I've never thought of about it before, but I find myself doing searches like 'tourism in Libya' on the internet. Very tempted by Norway, which a friend of mine and I played in game 54 - looks very nice.

I did the PBM-express thing - was it in Dordrecht? I don't think we had any problem with it - but writing it out and sending it in the post does seem a little prehistoric these days.

Mahdi,

At one point, you could upload your orders to a BBS at the PBM-Express (Yes, it was Dordrecht) and you could download your printout the next day. On that point the PBM-Express was actually better than RTG. But I totally agree that service here at RTG is much better.

Hamish

wow I remeber that bulletin board..

with a lot of tags....

had a lot of fun in there... dailing in with a prehistoric modem...

service was good at the PBM express...

too good actually... if someone made a big mistake.. or sent in his turn a bit too late... then sometimes those people got extra resources to counter the losses the had received that turn...

found it out myself when I was calculating the losses my enemy had endured and compared it with the intial starting resources... called the Pbm express... and they also offered me some extra resources.... I quit playing that day :)

but besides that they provided me with years of good entertainment and some good games...

Saudi Arabia was a choice made out of ignorance (my first Victory! game), and proved a logistical nightmare: a huge country with all the oil on the Gulf coast, all the industries on the Red Sea coast, and over 90% of the country is desert (no population and no agriculture). I won't play this country again!

I'm playing Saudi Arabia right now and can't say I agree with the quote above. I'm a strong believer in analyzing any country for its strengths and weaknesses and exploiting those. It's just as easy to say that it is easy to hide armies and airbases in Saudi Arabia for your enemies whereas it's easy to find them in a small neighbor country like Trans Jordan.

I don't have a strong preference for any country, to me it's the challenge of making the best with whatever I get assigned.

• 10 months later...
Saudi Arabia was a choice made out of ignorance (my first Victory! game), and proved a logistical nightmare: a huge country with all the oil on the Gulf coast, all the industries on the Red Sea coast, and over 90% of the country is desert (no population and no agriculture). I won't play this country again!

I'm playing Saudi Arabia right now and can't say I agree with the quote above. I'm a strong believer in analyzing any country for its strengths and weaknesses and exploiting those. It's just as easy to say that it is easy to hide armies and airbases in Saudi Arabia for your enemies whereas it's easy to find them in a small neighbor country like Trans Jordan.

I don't have a strong preference for any country, to me it's the challenge of making the best with whatever I get assigned.

I never forgot these two posts...

I'm playing Saudi Arabia in game 74. It was the 18th pick, on my list of 18 countries I submitted for enrollment.

At first; I was dissapointed, and pretty well felt, as LenLorek does in the above qoute. I was fighting with MCR orders and cursing at all the logistical orders I had to continually put in, just to keep the country going. I felt that other people had it easier, and could devote more orders to actually conquering a neighbouring nation, thereby putting me at a disadvantage.

Then I remembered DrFreud's post; and tried to look at things from a different perspective. Instead of struggling with the country's problems, I tried to go with the flow of everything. I looked at ways to improve upon how I was doing things, and have since improved my skills at managing a large country with such diverse industry and resources. Now, I find that Saud Arabia is a great country for a beginer. Upon gazing at the map; If you can learn here, you should be able to handle any other.

B)

Though; if I ever get to play Switzerland - I won't know what to do with all the extra order slots available...

:oops: