Rolling Thunder Forums

Ship classes

Lord Uriel

Does anyone have any suggestions for helping a guy figure out ship classes? Or, perhaps a scifi game book (rulebook, or follow up) that seems close to Snova that might give some examples of ship classes, size requirements (tonnage) and what they can be used for?

I can field strip an M-60 blindfolded but for the life of me I cannot figure out what, or how many of what, to put on a destroyer. Not to mention the whole issue of X amount of tons means it's a light cruiser.

ugh.

Lord Uriel

New Sparta

WHAMPO!

That one is pure trial an error... well for the most part.

here are a couple of guidelines.

If you include lots of weapons and defenses on your warship and give it minimal manuver

ability then most likely it will be some kind of 'monitor' class

if you include lots of manuver and add in a nice computer suite along with some battle

imaging or holographic displays then most likely it will turn into a Command Cruiser

if you include some Jump survey sensors on the same design presto chango it will most

likely become a 'Star Cruiser'

As you progress down the tech tree you are pursuing and begin to outfit your ship with

the very latest weapons and defenses then you will see classes like 'War Cruiser' or Battle

Cruiser.

keep playing with the NUD order.. :P You can even design ships with items you dont have

yet just to see what classes you can come up with.

Hope this helps

We're afraid we must disagree with the Honoured One, although he is indeed correct about the experimenting with the NUD order to find out.

What you put on the ship defines what 'type' of ship it is, mainly it seems by the highest percentage of component - ie 50% Fighter/Drone Bays will probably mean it's some type of Carrier.

However, all the actual classes seem to be fixed by total tonnage - thus, for example, if you want to actually build a Destroyer, then it needs to be designed to be between 50,000 and 74,900 tons.

After that, it all depends on your design philosophy.

As part of you original question, and agreeing with things said on other threads, the David Weber Honor Harrington set contains some tables on ship tonnages to class, which are very close.

We've spent a number of orders over the last two years trying things out from 1,000 to 25,000,000 tons and there are a whole lot of lovely descriptive names to discover - and there are still more coming out of the woodwork! There even seem to be modifiers that creep into the names, like 'Assault'........

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

• 1 month later...

yeah! that series is really good for that...

you can try starwars too... look up the game star wars: rebellion. its really old school but if you study the ships you can classify ships a lot easier methinks... (there should be a ship chart of some sort online...)

Here is my current list of Ship Class designations for Colonization and Trade Ships:

Feel free to contribute any holes. Some of the ranges are estimates but actual designs fall within each listed range. I'm missing my latest couple PDFs from this computer so I'll update after this turn, too.

==============

COLONY SHIPS

==============

Tons : Ship Class (regardless of AP it seems)

==============

0-75,000 : Light Colonial Transport

75,000-250,000: Medium Colonial Transport

250,000-999,999: Large Colonial Transport

1 Million - 5 Million: Colonial Liner

5 Million to at least 9 Million: Starliner

For Trade Ships with mostly Cargo Bays and 2 APs (some holes here)--

==============

TRADE SHIPS

==============

Tons : Ship Class

==============

0-24,999 : Trader

25,000-75,000: Light Freighter

75,000-110,000: Far Trader

500,000-775,000: Medium Freighter

For 8 APs:

Tons: Ship Class

==============

400,000-500,000: Blockade Runner ??

Your not entirely correct there Ur-Lord Tedric,

We recently built a 'Star Destroyer' which masses 140000 tons. This is way more then your max

tonnage for a destroyer class ship. Also is was classified as a Star Destroyer vs Destroyer

and i think its because it has warp survey equipment included in the design. it also includes

a decent percentage of armor and defensive coatings in its design and nearly 15 percent of its

tonnage is taken up by fighter bays.

8 and 10 AP ships are express ships or boats.

I have a 2 AP ship that is listed as an Express Ship. It is heavily armed.

==============

TRADE SHIPS

==============

Tons : Ship Class

==============

0-24,999 : Trader

25,000-75,000: Light Freighter

75,000-110,000: Far Trader

500,000-775,000: Medium Freighter

You can also build tankers.

I have a Light tanker of around 65000 T that is mostly fuel shuttles and fule tankage.

I also have an orbitial Fueling stations that is a tanker without engines.It is 133000 T. I use them to fule all ships at the HW as they come off the assembly line.

:)

We recently built a 'Star Destroyer' which masses 140000 tons. This is way more then your max

tonnage for a destroyer class ship. Also is was classified as a Star Destroyer vs Destroyer

and i think its because it has warp survey equipment included in the design. it also includes

a decent percentage of armor and defensive coatings in its design and nearly 15 percent of its

Greetings Honoured One,

We are sorry that you took it that way, but the two designs are different and not part of the same 'Destroyer' designations.

Destroyers run, it would appear from 50,000 - 74,999 tons

Heavy Destroyers from 75,000 - 99,999 tons

Star Destroyers from 100,000 - 149,999 tons

Corvettes and Frigates take the two 25,000 ton brackets before the Destroyers and Lght Cruisers follow the Star Destroyers.

And after that there's a whole bunch of 'Cruiser' designations that follow other tonnage brackets.

However, put lots of Cargo Bays/Fighter Bays/Engines on your ships and they'll become other things entirely.....

QUOTE (Honored One Daz @ Oct 9 2004, 12:53 PM)

Greetings Honoured One,

We are sorry that you took it that way, but the two designs are different and not part of the same 'Destroyer' designations.

Destroyers run, it would appear from 50,000 - 74,999 tons

Heavy Destroyers from 75,000 - 99,999 tons

Star Destroyers from 100,000 - 149,999 tons

Corvettes and Frigates take the two 25,000 ton brackets before the Destroyers and Lght Cruisers follow the Star Destroyers.

And after that there's a whole bunch of 'Cruiser' designations that follow other tonnage brackets.

However, put lots of Cargo Bays/Fighter Bays/Engines on your ships and they'll become other things entirely.....

Ur-Lord, how do the Express ship/boat classifications enter into this?

Ur-Lord, how do the Express ship/boat classifications enter into this?

We're pretty sure that the 'Express' series is reserved for ships with something like 50%, or more, engines.

There don't seem to be as many classes of these, we've seen Boats, Ships and Yachts so far.....

The one's we really are quite fond of, however, are the ones that mix speed and cargo space - the 'Smuggler' being one of them......

Chief Designer to Ur-Lord Tedric