Rolling Thunder Forums

settlers vs colonists

orin

A Population unit is trained (CTRN) as a Colonist and is carried to another world in a Colonial Berthing. A Colonial Settler is constructed by Industrial Complexes with limited military training and equipment, as well as the training and equipment needed to colonize. Not extremely effective at combat (per the ANZ desription), but I've never built any myself, so I can't relate any personal experience.

The Colonial Settler is a ground combat division. It's just as capable as any other division--every division type is just as good as any other in general offensive and defensive terms, but cover different TAC areas. Thus, you'd build the Colonial Settler instead of something else (an Armor division, for instance) because it covers different TAC areas that you might need in order to gain more TAC bonuses. It's always better to provide combined arms bonuses to your army, presuming that you have the base technology to provide value in the covered TAC area(s). TAC bonuses represent combat odds shifts, which is essentially a way to gain odds without building more divisions, and can be an extremely effective way to lower your losses and raise casualties among the enemy units.

CTRN, 100, HW popgroup

LC Colonists

NM

OC Colonists

Voila! As soon as they step off the ship they become population again and start dying in droves because you've landed them on a hellhole.

Err... Your mileage may vary on the dying in droves part, but the orders are right, anyway.

CTRN, 100, HW popgroup

LC Colonists

NM

OC Colonists

Voila! As soon as they step off the ship they become population again and start dying in droves because you've landed them on a hellhole.

Err... Your mileage may vary on the dying in droves part, but the orders are right, anyway.

Set up my first colony, and had a grow of one pop unit! :(

Mind you two pop units died, :cheers: , but there's room for improvement.

Set up my first colony, and had a grow of one pop unit! 

Mind you two pop units died,  , but there's room for improvement.

Hughestrog, I think the code on birth rates is you automatically get one. However as you add more colonists you will find that you get more and more deaths but still only one birth for a long time. (In fact you can estimate your birth rate by dividing your HW pop increase by you total HW pop.)

And congrats on getting the first colony established. :(

Set up my first colony, and had a grow of one pop unit! 

Mind you two pop units died,  , but there's room for improvement.

Hughestrog, I think the code on birth rates is you automatically get one. However as you add more colonists you will find that you get more and more deaths but still only one birth for a long time. (In fact you can estimate your birth rate by dividing your HW pop increase by you total HW pop.)

And congrats on getting the first colony established. :(

ali-t-akua, thanks for the info.

Better get those domed cities and tents up!

Growth is not automatic at all. You must have a mnimal number of pop on a colony before growth occurs and it isn't always the same number.

Colony attrition is a straight percentage. You can almost always have a colony of a few thanks to the rules of rounding, but bigger colonies may be problematic.

I have also been informed that when your report says that you lost 1 pop due to attrition it actually means you lost 2 if you also had pop growth since it was a net loss of 1. ( This still makes no sense to me and only happens to 1 pop group out of all of the ones that I have, but the Oracle has spoken in a personnal revelation. )

:(

Also, another subtle, yet important thing. even tho it is listed second, attrition happens BEFORE births. So even if you grow 5 but lose 2 you will still lose 2 randomy selected installations if you do not have extra unemployed pop to take the deaths. Morale, a little unemployment is usually a good thing on non-ideal worlds. If someone has to go, let it be the unemployed...

Growth is not automatic at all. You must have a mnimal number of pop on a colony before growth occurs and it isn't always the same number.

Hmm. I only have one colony as experience but my first drop was 44 and I got a growth of one.

I have also been informed that when your report says that you lost 1 pop due to attrition it actually means you lost 2 if you also had pop growth since it was a net loss of 1. ( This still makes no sense to me and only happens to 1 pop group out of all of the ones that I have, but the Oracle has spoken in a personnal revelation. )

That has not been my experienced, limited though it may be. My colony pop has been the net of reported attrition and births, not inclusive of both effects.

Also, another subtle, yet important thing. even tho it is listed second, attrition happens BEFORE births. So even if you grow 5 but lose 2 you will still lose 2 randomy selected installations if you do not have extra unemployed pop to take the deaths. Morale, a little unemployment is usually a good thing on non-ideal worlds. If someone has to go, let it be the unemployed...

Mahalo Laserwolf. That is counter to how births and deaths are reported. I have been keeping a small number of unexmployed to keep from losing installations so I had not noticed which went first.

Hmm. I only have one colony as experience but my first drop was 44 and I got a growth of one.

That has not been my experienced, limited though it may be. My colony pop has been the net of reported attrition and births, not inclusive of both effects.

Same here, the report mentioned a growth of one, and a loss of two- in that order. Admitedly, this is before I've built any installations.

I believe this is incorrect. I have a few colonies with 0 unemployed pop, but i gain a pop from growth and immediately loose it through attrition and there have been no losses of any structures.