Rolling Thunder Forums

SHIP question

Prospective

Hi all, happy Friday (or should every other Friday officially be dubbed TURNDAY)?

A question about shipbuilding.

Last turn, I constructed the components I'd need on an EXPL orientated ship (Sci lab, Sensors, computer systems, survey landers, fuel tkg, cargo holds, etc....).

The turn being processed today, I issued the following series of orders:

NUD (design the above-mentioned EXPL ship)

SHIP (build 1 of the above designed EXPL ship's and assign it to fleet 700)

NM (fleet 700 which has the newly created EXPL ship to a planet(uses 1 AP))

EXPL (issued to fleet 700 using the 2nd AP).

SO, will all these orders get processed, or will some of them fail? Which ones are invalid? I was just experimenting with this turn as I had a few extra empty order slots. My expectation is that the NM and EXPL orders will fail this turn, as the ship is newly created.

Input anyone?

Thanks.

No,

the Ship is added to Fleet 700 at end of turn, so the nm and expl orders will fail if

Fleet 700 did not have ships already.

If so, the two order will work, but the ship is added to anothe newly created fleet

1000+ or 700+, did not know how these are generated.

Cestvel

I know the NM and EXPL will fail as your ship is only created(built) towards the end of your production cycle and all NM etc is done before any production.

I don;t know about the NUD and SHIP though ... never tried that ... I always wait for the next turn so it shows up (is valid) in the turn program.

Ok, thanks for the info. I probably should have asked this question before turns were submitted to avoid wasted orders, but....

Here's another thought. Since convoy routes are executed later, what would happen if I had transferred the newly created EXPL ship to a convoy route? Would it be usable the same turn it was created then?

Or am I still limited to no usage the same turn the ship was created?

Thanks again.

Ok, thanks for the info. I probably should have asked this question before turns were submitted to avoid wasted orders, but....

Here's another thought. Since convoy routes are executed later, what would happen if I had transferred the newly created EXPL ship to a convoy route? Would it be usable the same turn it was created then?

Or am I still limited to no usage the same turn the ship was created?

Thanks again.

On the original thing - yes, you can NUD and SHIP on the same turn, you just have to be careful with entering the 'name' as it won't be selectable.

The real important thing is that you have to have all the components available before issuing the SHIP order, either having built them the previous turn, or having just OC'd them.

And, to the best of our knowledge, ships are built and scrapped right at the end of the production phase, long after all movement has ceased, including Convoy Routes. However, we have seen further alien ship sightings apended to turns after the production phase detail has been given, where the turn is shorter than the other empire, so I'm not 100% certain.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Yes you can NUD and then SHIP. If you have a complicated name it is quite possible in the Imperial Palace program to first enter the NUD and then when you are doing the SHIP click and CTRL-C to copy the name in the box of the name on the NUD row and then insert into ship name in your SHIP row :rolleyes: But the ships is available for use the following turn.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Ships are added to Fleets according to the SHIP/XSHIP Order during the Production Phase, which occurs after Colony Route execution, which occurs after Standing Order execution, which occurs after Issued Orders.

Order of Execution:

1. Issued Orders (done in order of issuance)

2. Standing Orders (X-something Orders)

2a. New Standing Orders

2b. Old Standing Orders

3. Colony Routes (done in Fleet Order)

4. Production

If you had your NUD Order before your SHIP or XSHIP Order and your design is legal, your new ship design will be added to your Shipyard/Shipyard Slips production queue. If you have all of the components necessary, your new design will get built and added to your Fleet at the end of the turn.

Turn X

NUD NewShip

SHIP NewShip NewFleet

Turn X+1

NM NewFleet

EXPL NewFleet

You might have a problem, if you already had ships in the Fleet 700 you designated in your SHIP, NM and EXPL orders. Because Fleet 700 will move away from the planet with your shipyards and attempt to explore the target planet before your new ship gets added to the Fleet. If memory serves, the ship will get built and placed in random fleet, say Fleet 701, even if the fleet has to be created. If there are no ships in Fleet 700, it will have no APs and therefore the NM and EXPL orders will fail.

FWIW,

-SK :rolleyes:

It has been said in other threads that all orders from each empire are added together in a file and sorted by Pri Number then numbered according to the order for each empire. For example, if you had 3 orders with pri #'s 123, 235, 350 and they were the 3 lowest priority numbers the program wouls sort them as 1,2,3 in the collective file.

Then all the orders numbered 1 would be randomized to determine which Empire executed order number 1 first. Then again for the next number 1 order etc until all number 1 orders are executed. Then the same process for orders numbered 2 and 3 etc.

The reason I bring this up again is the "anomoly" of fleet sightings after production runs. If you did a turn with 40 orders but another empire did a turn with 80 orders and on order number 72 he crossed into your space that would explain that anomoly. Of course this is just an educated guess.

You might have a problem, if you already had ships in the Fleet 700 you designated in your SHIP, NM and EXPL orders. Because Fleet 700 will move away from the planet with your shipyards and attempt to explore the target planet before your new ship gets added to the Fleet. If memory serves, the ship will get built and placed in random fleet, say Fleet 701, even if the fleet has to be created. If there are no ships in Fleet 700, it will have no APs and therefore the NM and EXPL orders will fail.

If Fleet 700 does move away and you ahve no other fleets around your HW, you will have a new fleet automatically created and your ship(s) will be assigned to it. The numbers for the new fleet begin with 1001. This I have learned from experience. :drunk: