Rolling Thunder Forums

a point to ponder for pete

athonian

in real life when a nation is at war technology in that nation rapidly advances due to an increase in motivation etc.

do we get that sort of bonus in the game? it would be kind of nifty if we did. maybe an increased chance of a major breakthrough or a few srps per turn.

and all the nubmer work could be based on the desparation of the war. maybe the number of battles will give advancements in certain fields...

like if u enter battle with a mkI lightning generator and are researching mk II... nothing really happens unless u enter the battle with the mkI and due to the battle analysis your scientists realize what they can do to increase efficiency somehow. or maybe a new type of tech is discovered through the battle... and can be researched...

and in addition there would be a flat bonus that goes along with it like 10% scince bonus. to prevent abuses like 2 conspiring nations perhaps a lack of bonus like...

unhappy workers... or forced peace if less than 100,000 tons of fleet has gotten into one battle for 10 turns or so. although in real life nations could theoretically conspire and get into war for advancement sake.

please excuse the typos... i'm tired =P

in real life when a nation is at war technology in that nation rapidly advances due to an increase in motivation etc.

Interesting assumption. Defend it. Your defense should include why the oppressed citizens in a dictatorship should feel an increase in motivation. It should also take into account the lack of 'rapid' technological development that occurred during Iraq in the first Gulf War, the CCCP during the Great Patriotic War (synonym: Soviet Russia in WWII), and Japan in WWII.

An increase in technological advances probably has more to do with increased funding. And, as a game balance issue, we can't increase funding to research.

My apologies for being argumentative in the morning.

An increase in technological advances probably has more to do with increased funding.  And, as a game balance issue, we can't increase funding to research.

bascilly more funds to one project at the exspence (slots) of other research.

So, if you REALLY NEED that MK2 Fizzy Bang... you put 24 scientists on that projects and put MK 1 Wuzzle construtors on the back burner.

I would maintain that it is simply a case of redefining one's priorities, and therefor that the game system does cover it.

If I go to war, suddenly better weapons, defenses, and fire control becomes much, much more important than 2nd Generation Psychology and Improved Black Market Goods. So, I SRP myself into more rapid advancment in those areas I suddenly care more intensely about.

TErnest

(aka Arcane Service, Inc.)

Interesting assumption. Defend it. Your defense should include why the oppressed citizens in a dictatorship should feel an increase in motivation. It should also take into account the lack of 'rapid' technological development that occurred during Iraq in the first Gulf War, the CCCP during the Great Patriotic War (synonym: Soviet Russia in WWII), and Japan in WWII.

An increase in technological advances probably has more to do with increased funding. And, as a game balance issue, we can't increase funding to research.

My apologies for being argumentative in the morning.

We agree war shouldn't be beneficial. But then we would, wouldn't we?

Just as a side note, Japan did make several advances during WWII. Folding-wing aircraft for carrier duty, for instance.

Not to mention they were running out of petroleum supplies so Mitsubishi had to design a more fuel-efficient engine for the Zero. Now where have we seen fuel-efficient Japanese engines...?

I would have to agree with Ur Lord Tedric. With breakthroughs and EXPL hits you can greatly reduce the time needed to research "Fair" and "Adequate" technology. But I do have a feeling that anything greater than this is going to take a loooooong time to complete research. Especially when I only have a minor racial bonus for research... :laugh:

I've had about 1 EXPL hit every 2-3 turns (admitedly, I'm not yet very thorough exploring), but they haven't been for technology that I'm currently researching. Some have been for things that I have no idea where they are down the tech tree!

Well I am averaging two to three EXPL hits per turn and I have only gotten one hit on a tech I am researching and frankly at the time I got the hit I had not started to research it.

"Interesting assumption. Defend it. Your defense should include why the oppressed citizens in a dictatorship should feel an increase in motivation. It should also take into account the lack of 'rapid' technological development that occurred during Iraq in the first Gulf War, the CCCP during the Great Patriotic War (synonym: Soviet Russia in WWII), and Japan in WWII.

My apologies for being argumentative in the morning."

Macbeth,

There is little evidence that a nation led by a dictator has any less development or desire to defend the nation than benevolent one. As far as development, The Russians developed very effective tanks, artillery (sp?), and a grround attack fighter or two.

The US experience in Gulf War I contributed to better munitions as far as smart weapons are concerned.

As to the origional topic, looking at the historical context of own world, being considered the "bag guy" in any conflict has not really hampered a nation at war.

As much as I would like to have more research centers, it's fine the way it is. I do think maybe a small bonus for captured tech.

Lord Uriel

I've had about 1 EXPL hit every 2-3 turns (admitedly, I'm not yet very thorough exploring), but they haven't been for technology that I'm currently researching. Some have been for things that I have no idea where they are down the tech tree!

Well I am averaging two to three EXPL hits per turn and I have only gotten one hit on a tech I am researching and frankly at the time I got the hit I had not started to research it.

At the momment, I am averaging 11 EXPL hits a turn, and roughly about 4 of those hits are for tech.

A lot of it depends on the thrust of your argument. While "war time" does seem to generate a lot of breakthroughs, it is at the expense of breakthroughs in other areas. A lot of resources get concentrated into the "war effort" which puts things like "nuclear bombs" ahead of "comfy chairs". This game already models this kind of thing pretty well. If you want something faster, you dedicate more Research Centers to it. You sacrifice effectiveness for speed, because 2 RCs are not twice as effective as 1 RC is.

As to the argument of "reverse engineering", it has been brought up before and the answer has always been a firm: "NO!" The answer is not based on "realism" as much as play-balance. Pete and Russ have spent a lot of effort to prevent Tech from becoming the "be all-end all" of the game. The fear is that if things like "reverse engineering" are allowed, large player blocks will start swapping tech items and instead of players creating Trade interdependencies, these positions will become self-sufficient, technogogic monstrosities that go forth and wog-stomp everyone else and there will be a mass exodus of players, which would be fiscally crippling to RTG.

The same logic applies to why you can't build more RCs or use RCs of captured Homeworlds.