Rolling Thunder Forums

Use of SRP's

Prospective

What you would pick first will depend on what type of position you want to run and how many "free" techs you whink you might get.

With very few points to spend it will likely make very little difference and with a lot of points it makes little difference. It is mostly with a moderate amount of points available to pursue a desired strategy that it would make the most difference.

Having said that I would have to say that my first choice would likely be one of about 3 things.

Mk II JSS

Improved Fuel

Improved steel

<_<

Ali,

A better way of doing it is to assign the improved items to regular RCs and not the slot one. They can be researched in as little as 8 turns. Put other things in those slots and wait for the improved items. You could put engines in there instead. Or some choice generational tech. For what it's worth.....

Sakarissa <_<

Ali,

A better way of doing it is to assign the improved items to regular RCs and not the slot one. They can be researched in as little as 8 turns. Put other things in those slots and wait for the improved items. You could put engines in there instead. Or some choice generational tech. For what it's worth.....

I think what is important is what your situation requires. Not everyone is a brain blob and if your race takes 12 turns to research an Improved item, it can be a long wait before you can open that D or E WP or set up that colony on that hostile world. Faster Engines are nice though and I should have had those on that list as well.

so far i've been using my srps to get to a point where i can colonize a hot world. in about 6-7 turns i'll be able to get it. BWAHAHAHAHA. *Sigh* its taking forever.

i'll prolly use my srps to work on engines and weapons. maybe horizons.

Your best bet is to use SRP's to push as deep as you can so you can get started researching the slow way. So if you want engines you should go until you can't go and then switch to the next item. Materials should only be researched if you really need them right now.

There are some materials that give immediate benefit, like advanced fuel and others that are pretty useless without many supporting techs and materials.

The worst thing you can do is just flail around taking a tech here and one there without some idea as to your eventual goal.

Of course, that is exactly what we veteran players did and why we have some really weird tech combinations. <_<

Edited by hobknob

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Looking over my turn, I have a few questions... more like clarification on my part.

SRP POINTS (Your xtra and other)

1. Researching mk II Jump Survey Sensor. Have a +19%. Cost 12. My turn sheet shows, for example Early Stages and the arrow |---->| If I want to complete it in one turn:

a. Order would be in #1: SRP Mk II Jump Survey Sensor

b. The actual needed cost would be 12-1.19 = 10.81

c. The # SRP points I would have to expend would be 11.

2. Can I gain a new Tech Level in more than one area (say... Mk II Jump Survey Sensor and Mk II Nuclear Engine) in the same turn? ==> I'm assuming only Slot 1.

3. How do you stipulate that you want to expend the SRPs?

===> I'm assuming per #2 that if it's in Slot 1, you spend them

4. How do you assure yourself how many SRP Points you have/have left? -- couldn't find on turn sheet.

1. Researching mk II Jump Survey Sensor. Have a +19%. Cost 12. My turn sheet shows, for example Early Stages and the arrow |---->| If I want to complete it in one turn:

That appears to be correct based on what we know.

2. Can I gain a new Tech Level in more than one area (say... Mk II Jump Survey Sensor and Mk II Nuclear Engine) in the same turn? ==> I'm assuming only Slot 1.

You can only get one tech per turn from SRP expenditure (The item in Slot 1). However, any other techs you get from normal research can also be received in the same turn.

You place them in Slot 1

4. How do you assure yourself how many SRP Points you have/have left? -- couldn't find on turn sheet.

You have to keep track of them yourself. Remember that according to what we know you get the RC expenditure before SRPs are spent. Also the cost is based on the entire cost of the item without Research bonuses. The number of SRPs you get is based on the number of unused racial points.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks!! That did answer them. I thought I was right on a few, but it feels good being justified. :cheers:

As to keeping track yourself of the pts. Not a problem, now that I know it.

Again Thanks!!

Larry

That appears to be correct based on what we know.

You can only get one tech per turn from SRP expenditure (The item in Slot 1). However, any other techs you get from normal research can also be received in the same turn.

You place them in Slot 1

You have to keep track of them yourself. Remember that according to what we know you get the RC expenditure before SRPs are spent. Also the cost is based on the entire cost of the item without Research bonuses. The number of SRPs you get is based on the number of unused racial points.

I hope this answers your question.