Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 77

Glamdring

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update Lists.....thrity-two days to turn 3 !!!!!!

Those who have checked in are:

Southern Russia (Glamdring)

Trans Jordan (Tekeda)

Syria (Sponge Eater)

Iceland (Hersir)

Saudi Arabia (Rommel)

Austria (Galvorn)

Greece (Earthling)

Persia (HeavyB )

USA (cd ernst)

France (Silverwing)

Sweden (JStrait)

UAE (Gecko)

Great Britain (Spartacus)

Ireland (Irish PM)

Lowlands (Fast Freddy)

Morocco (tHE Mole)

Tunisia (Ali Tosis)

Baltic States (Shadow Kitsune)

Hungary (AahzTheMagnificent)

Germany (EDH)

Turkey (Meaty Bites)

Norway (Lord Vader)

Romania (TheEmpressWu)

Libya (ernst)

Bulgaria (JTBB64)

Finland (Bruinfan)

Central Russia (Rogue Leader)

Switzerland (gulliblepratt)

Not Checked In:

Canada ???

Algeria ???

Egypt ???

Iraq ???

Italy ???

Northern Russia ???

Spain ???

Portugal ???

Poland ???

Denmark ???

Czechoslovakia ???

Yugoslavia ???

Krysia's Krusader, are you in this one?

Nope.

I saw your post in the '74 thread, and it piqued my interest to come over here, to see what the story was. I know of two people, who have done this before, so was curious if I'd see them again.

Who are you here? Oh, Central Russia.

Watch out for the crazy Russian hordes, guys...

:ninja:

To the rest of you; ware of anyone who uses either a "hotmail" or "yahoo" e-mail address. I'm not familiar with any such "European" freebie no-questions-asked type of e-mail service, but some of my Dutch freinds say this is possible too. This is another common ploy, that is used/missused to trap the unwary.

Don't give away any intentions, plans, etc., unless you get their "real" e-mail address. Anybody who can afford to play Victory! - can afford to pay for their own e-mail. If they refuse, then you know right off the bat, how (un)trustworthy they are...

I wish to heartily second KK's opinion on players using only hotmail or yahoo accounts.....I have seen and been the victim of these Machiavellian diplomatic tactics. I have a dark side that admires these players' ruthlessness (and I do consider it a part of the game), but beware of these types.

Nope.

I saw your post in the '74 thread, and it piqued my interest to come over here, to see what the story was. I know of two people, who have done this before, so was curious if I'd see them again.

To the rest of you; ware of anyone who uses either a "hotmail" or "yahoo" e-mail address. I'm not familiar with any such "European" freebie no-questions-asked type of e-mail service, but some of my Dutch freinds say this is possible too. This is another common ploy, that is used/missused to trap the unwary.

Don't give away any intentions, plans, etc., unless you get their "real" e-mail address. Anybody who can afford to play Victory! - can afford to pay for their own e-mail. If they refuse, then you know right off the bat, how (un)trustworthy they are...

Sorry Gentlemen but I have to dissagree.

I am not sure about hotmail, but a yahoo account can be "real" email address. Yahoo Japan is an internet provider. I pay them monthly for broadband internet (and also for my telephone service). Granted this is in Japan but lets not dismiss all yahoo email accounts.

When I lived in the US I used AOL and if I remember correctly you could create a number of additional user names which would allow you to be deceptive if you were inclined.

So lets be careful out there. (Hill Street Blues ..anyone??)

Takeda

I wish to heartily second KK's opinion on players using only hotmail or yahoo accounts.....I have seen and been the victim of these Machiavellian diplomatic tactics. I have a dark side that admires these players' ruthlessness (and I do consider it a part of the game), but beware of these types.

Nope.

Nope.

;)

Interesting topic :D

So, if I'm reading this right,

then my CHOISE to cut $ cost by just having the most basic ISP service,

use both hotmail and Yahoo free e-mail (piggy back my ISP) to further keep my costs down so that I can "BETTER AFFORD" to play victory!

Makes me UNTRUSTWORTHY :huh: ???????????????????????

Not every one is so afluent as to even afford a computer. Yahoo and MSN provide free accounts that are used in community centers and Library's so that the low income and children can have internet access. Apparently Canada, and other parts of the world, don't have thease problems.

Sure, I could pay 30-50 Bucks a month for another ISP, But it makes more sence to me to pay Less than 10 and use free email accounts over that ISP. Guess where those savings go :D !!!!!!!!!!!!

"KK", did you not take an alliance with me in 74 for border security? Then when my chips where down did you not tell me you were waiting to see who (me or egypt) would come out the better so you could attack the weaker. Which ended up being me BTW. So how do you think that made me feel about you after I asked for your help. And do you use hotmail or yahoo???? I didn't think so...... :oops:

I do not intend to offend you or galvorn, but if you take it that way it's your problem. Frankly, I find it offencive to be judged on my choise of e-mail. I might as well be judged on my skin color, or religious standing, or ethnic background. And if you think me "untrustworthy" by my e-mail choise then you have clearly grown up in a very shelterd life. Why did you bring this up in a game thred your not...(or so you say anyway)...even playing in :huh: . Come on people...use some grey matter, it's there for a reason. don't waste it on this kind of small thinking.

:cheers:

With regard to whether using a "free" e-mail account makes you untrustworthy or not, my opinion is that e-mail accounts are just tools. Whether someone is trustworthy or untrustworthy will be borne out over time based on their actions, not the tools they use. Using hotmail, gmail or yahoo mail, does not make someone untrustworthy or cheap or anything but an internet mail user. No more. No less.

As long as there have been competitions, there have been people trying to gain an "edge" to achieve victory - regardless of moral or ethical implications. The ends ("winning"), justify the means ("cheating"). Fake names ... bogus addresses ... phantom accounts ... all these, and I'm sure more, have been used in PBM/PBeMs since their advent by people of dubious ethics (and some would claim poor ability, hence the need to "cheat") to try to gain some kind of edge. IMO, Russ [RTGRuss] does a good job of filtering out such vermin, or at least their tactics, in the game. On the boards, all he can do is prevent things from getting too personal or out of hand.

The person pretending to be Central Russia has been exposed and, for now, that issue is dead. Please do not allow that bit of pathetic treachery to bloom into a venomous flame war over what e-mail people use and what kind of person that makes them.

FWIW,

-SK :oops:

Guest General Spongebob Squarepants

:D Erm can I just add something here....

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but

:oops: I am NOT Central Russia, Honest, its not me and if anyone says its me then there lying and probably play Central Russia themselves.

Im not playing this game, Honest :D and if i was i would not tell you who i was playing even if it was Central Russia because you would not believe me anyway

BTW my email is SBSP@YAHOO.MSN.HOTMAIL.COM

Thanks

NOW BACK TO THE WAR ;)

I agree with SK. Let's concentrate on Game 77 here and let the rest of this topic die off. The bogus post has been exposed and we can move on. Turn 1 processes today.....lets move onto the game and have some fun!

Earthling

Greece 77

The person pretending to be Central Russia has been exposed and, for now, that issue is dead.  Please do not allow that bit of pathetic treachery to bloom into a venomous flame war over what e-mail people use and what kind of person that makes them.

FWIW,

-SK  :oops:

I most humbaly appologize to the player's of Game 77 for letting my self be dragged to such a level of outberst. I can't explaine my reasons for this at this time, but the main reason is very near and dear to my heart :). Again, my deepest appologies and good hunting to all. :blink:

Well. Now that we have cleared the subject of the  use of email addresses, lets get on with the subject logic dictates follows next: the actual list of active players and their email addresses!

Anyone? Who's compiled a list and is willing to share it? :blink:

Don

USA77 -> cd_ernst -> XXXX@YYYYYY     :)

Your attempt is well intended but quite dangerous. DO NOT post e-mail addresses on this board. I have a lot of faith and enjoy the company of my fellow gamers BUT there is one that is VERY untrustworthy. You have probably seen Google.com on the board. Once you post your e-mail google will scan it and store it on the seach engine. Especialy if your e-mail or forum handle has your real name in it (as mine used to) your e-mail address is exposed to the world and yuu are open to various spam and spoof attacks.

When I type my name into google search engine (which was part of my e-mail adress) I can now see me Victory! postings. That is not what I want my business associates to see if they google my name. In fact.......you guys want to to have to explain your hobby to a new girlfriend/boyfriend that googles you? It makes for GREAT second date conversation!

An even more far out issue would be a fairly innocent remark (in the game context) like Iraq (or Iran/Persia) will be attacking XXX. If XXX were one country impaticular I am thinking about near my home town then this board and the people who post here may well draw some NSA attention.

In fact I would never post your real name on this forum!

Can we vote google.com off the board??

If anyone wants to continue a discussion of Google please start a new thread and we will leave this thread to the equally important Game 77 issues

Glamdring (formerly a player known by his real name)

I failed to understand the last post. Forget the Nude Tennis, Rasputin are you the Governer of Italy or is Galvorn the Governer of Italy.

Secondly the nation of Great Britain is in need of Supplies. If anyone would like to start shipping runs to us please get in contact, we are willing to pay in hard currency for the right supplies.

Sorry not reading post - Rasputin you are the Leader of Italy

Edited by Spartacus