RTG Christmas

Virmilyn

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RTG is going to give you one ultimate thing you want

Now that would be unbalanced.

To clarify, my suggestion is to allow the completion of one item on your empires reseachable list were SRPs would not normally do the job.

Or take SRPs if you have lower level items you want to complete.

I too am out of SRPs and be able to complete several items with them.

But for those whom are researching only higher items, bonus.

It is intriguing to go from 5th gen planetary sci to 6th.

The game pace is good, but it would be nice to kick it up a notch now and then.

Ali-t-akua,

We have a deal: I deliver 10 million lumber, you deliver 1 billion iron.

Please propose a trading station for the exchange.

We will also convert the lumber into timber, improved timber or advanced timber, at your preference and for free as a bonus.

Kind regards,

Ali-t-akua,

We have a deal: I deliver 10 million lumber, you deliver 1 billion iron.

Please propose a trading station for the exchange.

We will also convert the lumber into timber, improved timber or advanced timber, at your preference and for free as a bonus.

Kind regards,

Sorry to disappoint you but we were discussing a free gift, not a trade. However, if you would like to make a donation to us of 10 Million Lumber we would gladly accept. We would not even ask for it to be converted into any form of Timber. :o

Yeah, I'll sign up for the free 10million lumber or the 1 billion iron option plan...

Back to the topic at hand. I think that if we could get ANY tech in the game, that it would a poor idea. BUT, if it is limited to the "Researchable Items" list of each empire, I like the idea.

A couple people objected based on the thought that an opponent could elminate a research advantage. I disagree with that. For instance, if you have developed a "Good" weapons system and your opponent has a defense for that system rated at "Fair", then using the "normal" SRP gift your opponent will be able to use the points to improve his standing. Since SRP use is normally capped at "Good", you won't. He will gain a research advantage.

However, if this proposal is adopted, then you would be able to opt to use your gift to increase from a "Good" weapon system to an "Impressive" (I think, or is Superior the next step up from Good) and retain your tech advantage (or improve it if your opponent chooses a different path).

My $0.02... I say go for it.

Hmmm. Limiting it to one Researchable item? One of my empires has Mk XIII Force Shield as an option. Is everyone cool with the idea of a player selecting a 8th generation item for a freebie?

As much as I would to start research on Mk IX Force Shield right away, I think this is just a bad idea all around.

I worryabout game balance, actually.  I'd be upset if I had spent dozens of turns researching a weapon system and suddenly my neighbor was gifted with something that countered it.

I think that the system Santa has currently is just fine!

One cat's opinion.   :wub:

I agree with the cat.

As much as I would like to instantly have the Ultimate Big Rock, I think it would be unfair for all concerned. If you really want a neato whiz bang dodad, put all your rc's on it.

One spartan's opinion.

I think the SRP gift inflation is starting to get a bit much.

I can understand the boosts in the SRP to keep up with the older empires, so the gift has some nice value. But by now, most of the elder races are into the real high end techs .. where SRP's cannot (supposedly) be applied. The gift does is allow them to buy a lower level item they always wanted (like Improved Black Market Goods). And since this is the case, one can argue that even the 36 from last year was excessive, as 24 would be enough to buy one or two low level items just for fun.

Still, I won't argue. Given 12 for year 1, 24 for year 2, 36 for year 3. I guess we can expect all expect 48 SRP for year 4 (so go ahead folks, plan for it and budget for it expecting it to show up .. go right ahead .. trust me.. the checks in the mail). The first few years bought up some critical items I was researching. Last year I used the 36 on a couple of "always wanted" low level techs. With 48 I could get that Heavy Flamethrower for lighting the candles, and maybe the VibroSaw for cutting the turkey. Yeah..... <_<

Well, that certainly is the Holiday spirit. :jawdrop:

Don't forget the Ferret Excavator Tank for digging up the Yams......and missing teamster union presidents. :P

:o:alien::alien::robot:

Hey! I did an ANZ on those puppies and it didn't say anything about digging up missing persons in my report!

Octus

:oops:

A gift is a gift. SRPs are the most common denominator, other than perhaps iron. But everyone can use SRPs. Even if you are an original player (I'm approaching 70 cycles with one race, but not part of the original group), you can still use the SRPs. Granted, you can't use them for 6th gen anything, but has everyone researched the first 2 generations of all space defensive systems? All the ground combat techs through 2nd generation? I would be surprised if anyone has (and hope they don't reside in my neighborhood!), but everyone could find value in ground combat and entry level space defensive systems since who knows what may be thrown against you.

If Santa comes this year, my vote would be for whatever number of SRPs Santa feels like giving out. It is the commodity everyone could use. And if you CAN'T find a way to use them, maybe YOU should become Santa's helper and distribute some of your wealth to the masses! Your potential opponents would become more 'interesting' adversaries.

Octus Imperium

Hey I'd be happy if Santa came with a complete Naval Combat Document, revised rules or perhaps an working espionage system or religious system or any of the multitude of promising aspects of the game that are more fluff than substance right now.

/Locklyn

The Metzaki system is merely an offramp in an intergalactic highway system. GGT presence there is like a service station. A highly skilled a well armed service station but nonetheless :drunk:

Cheers

/Locklyn